The Shield

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone watch this show and/or like it?

Opinions, good, bad, ugly, or indifferent please.

Personally....? I like it. As a drama, it is very good IMO.

lambo

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely love it. I've been watching it since the beginning, and it's been rough waiting for each new season to begin.

The complexity of the character of Vic Mackey -- is he a good guy, is he a bad guy? -- is positively Shakespearean in magnitude. Without the blank verse, of course.

I've always been amazed when people tell me they enjoy "NYPD Blue" or "Law & Order" when there was stuff like "Homicide" and "The Shield" out there. No comparison at all. Not even in the same ballpark.

(BTW, I was relieved to open your thread and see you weren't asking what flashlights they use on "The Shield". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't even notice the flashlights on The Shield. (never put any thought into what they use)

However, I have noticed some of the fine firearms they use.

But....I watch the show for the quality of the acting and stories. I'm less concerned about the gadgets they use.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, guess I'm in the minority here. I watched it twice and did not care for it.

Mike

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I really like the show EXCEPT for one thing: The uniformed cops wear their badges on the "wrong side"!

I have no idea why they would wear their badge on the right side of their uniform shirt as opposed to the traditonal way of on the left.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
LOVE IT!! Haven't missed one episode! This is the only show that I will stay up that late for. It comes on at 11PM here. Can't wait for the new season! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
not meaning to hijack the thread, but last night, i watched, for the first time, NYPD blue (blah episode), and at one point they entered a dark building where a dead body was to be found. my bro kept asking me questions like since when did you start watching nypd blue and what's going on and such, and i said "hush, i'm trying to figure out what lights they are using" and that just cracked him up. never realised how different something like that sounds to nonflashaholics. turns out they were using m@gs. beams seemed too white and nice, guess overexposure in camera can do that.

sorry, back to the shield.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um...Sasha...the 3rd season started last week....Hopefully, you didnt miss it....Very sneaky plotlines are already forming!

--dan

Greta

Flashaholic
Dan... are you sure? I've been watching the listings... Was it Sunday night?

*Edit... I just checked again... no wonder I missed it! It premiered on Friday night! It's NEVER on Friday night! I was watching on Sundays and Tuesdays. I checked my listings for last night and it wasn't on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ... this sucks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Sheild. I consider it to be like NYPD on steroids or something. Very edgy. It was just what I was looking for. Probably my favorite show for the last year or so.

lambo

Newly Enlightened
Sasha, you should still be able to see the second episode later this week, since it's rebroadcast at least three or four times. Check Sunday night, and possibly even Monday night. (I think I recall seeing it on Saturday night once, too. By the way, I think it premiered on Tuesday, not Friday, but I suppose that could vary from region to region.) If necessary, I'm sure we can fill you in on the first episode, though the second episode has a pretty long "Last Week on The Shield" section (you have to imagine that announcer's gravelly voice) that should fill you in well enough to make do.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, Season three is 2 episodes into it allready. Ep three is next Tues in my area.

Ep 1 of S3 was pretty good. Ep 2 of S3 was pretty mediocre, but heck even a mediocre ep of The Shield is A LOT better than a great episode from many shows.

R

raytracer

Sasha,

I have the first two episodes of the new season on disc - drop me a line at [email protected] if you like, and I'd be glad to drop them in the mail to you.

Cheers,
Joe

Greta

Flashaholic
Joe... email sent... thank you!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
not meaning to hijack the thread, but last night, i watched, for the first time, NYPD blue (blah episode), and at one point they entered a dark building where a dead body was to be found. my bro kept asking me questions like since when did you start watching nypd blue and what's going on and such, and i said "hush, i'm trying to figure out what lights they are using" and that just cracked him up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever there are flashlights on the screen, my wife says, "oooh, what kind of flashlights are those?" However, she says it in a tone that connotes sarcasm. And dang if she doesn't roll her eyes if I actually tell her what the flashlights are. Maybe I'm imagining it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the Shield, although Mackey seems to be getting away with a bit too much.

Joe