• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired **FS:McGizmo 27L-PD PROTO**PRICE DROP**

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
**FS:McGizmo 27L-PD PROTO**WITHDRAWN**

aPkNaUg.jpg

Good day everyone!
For your consideration in a old school and mint McGizmo Proto, a 27L-PD in titanium that was made back in 2006. This was the fore runner design to the 27mm production heads that came later (XR27, S27, LS27). This is a grail that I lusted over from my early days here on CPF some 13 (yikes!) years ago until finally scoring one a little while back.
My research shows that Don had only 8 of these heads made, 4 for 27L (the piston drive single cell body here) and 4 for the 27LT (the"Tootsie Roll" style 2 cell body). I also believe that the titanium used for these protos is of the 6AL-4V grade variant.
The piston on this one is flat and does not have a tritium slot and the threads are buttery smooth.

A bit of history here. You will notice in the photos below, the differences between the 27L Proto head (left) and the later, 27mm production head (right and for comparison only, not included in sale). The 27L head has double O-rings compared to the production head single O-ring. The teardrop indentations were moved closer towards the bezel on the later heads. The 27L head also has a threaded bezel where the later 27mm production head is O-ring sealed at the lens.
You will also notice the unique PD body of the 27L that is longer than the later production PD body and has a deeper collar to accommodate the two O-rings.

The light still sports the original LUXIII which I believe is a UYAJ binning (snowy white).
Along with the other Gizmo PD lights, it is a 2 stage light. Twist for stage 1, twist more for stage 2 or press and hold the piston drive for stage 1 and then press harder and hold for stage 2. It is powered by a single CR123.

ZG6fqbt.jpg

nusbSbo.jpg

yGps75r.jpg

vrmzcuk.jpg

A pic of each side here:
isVCZXS.jpg

These pics highlight the differences mentioned above:
krG4AHl.jpg

Below, you can see the 27L on the left incorporating a screw down bezel with 1 O-ring behind the lens and on the right, a production 27mm head with 1 O-ring on each side of the lens.
ZaA0h8L.jpg

WBs83rF.jpg

I do enjoy photographing these wonderful gems and posting up some (hopefully!) drool-worthy pics for all to enjoy.
Although I never thought that I would part with this gem once I scored one, it has been an honor to be a part time custodian of it and it still ranks as one of my favorite all time designs, just pure rugged beauty and a piece of CPF history!

**27LT Proto - WITHDRAWN.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if any of my information is inaccurate, or you have more info on this light. Information, even from Don, on these relics are scarce!

-Paypal only please.
-First "I'll take it" in this thread has priority.
-Paypal fees and shipping to CONUS are included in the price.
-Not interested in trades at this time.

-Thanks for looking!
-Michael.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: **FS:McGizmo 27L-PD PROTO**

I sure like seeing these vintage classics, especially in beautiful condition .... Best with your sale, cheers !

light-modder

Enlightened

I'm definitely drooling over these pics! Love these old Gizmos. One day I'll have some.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

How cool is that......a Sale listing with a history lesson built in! Amazingly rare light there! GLWS!!! Bump Bump Bump

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments and bumps everyone!