Muyshondt Mako vs. McGizmo Sapphire

d.2.the.p

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a Mako Mk.II on my keychain but have been curious about checking out a Sapphire High CRI. I would only keep one, so I was wondering if anyone has input on one versus the other.

I have read older threads mentioning the two as fantastic AAA options, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of direct comparisons. From what I gather, it seems to boil down mostly to runtime vs. beam quality, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Hmmm this is a hard one. Two of my favorite little backup lights! I have two Sapphires and a Mako.

I like the keychain attachment better on the Sapphire. I like the blasted/polished finish better on the Mako. They both twist very nicely and smoothly. I like that the Mako is not as "crushy" on batteries, however it has a spring that could break so it is theoretically less robust. The Mako is two modes but they're so close together it's as good as one like the Sapphire in my opinion. Mako probably has longer runtime, but in a light like this they both last ages on a battery. The beam patterns are quite similar, both smooth and floody. I could argue the Sapphire beam is slightly cleaner but only when white wall hunting. Sapphire you can choose from 2 or 3 emitters for your liking to have it built up with whereas the Mako has what it has, though there are a couple iterations floating around out there.

Short answer: it's like asking which kid you like best. Buy both and love them equally. :)

d.2.the.p

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm this is a hard one. Two of my favorite little backup lights! I have two Sapphires and a Mako.

I like the keychain attachment better on the Sapphire. I like the blasted/polished finish better on the Mako. They both twist very nicely and smoothly. I like that the Mako is not as "crushy" on batteries, however it has a spring that could break so it is theoretically less robust. The Mako is two modes but they're so close together it's as good as one like the Sapphire in my opinion. Mako probably has longer runtime, but in a light like this they both last ages on a battery. The beam patterns are quite similar, both smooth and floody. I could argue the Sapphire beam is slightly cleaner but only when white wall hunting. Sapphire you can choose from 2 or 3 emitters for your liking to have it built up with whereas the Mako has what it has, though there are a couple iterations floating around out there.

Short answer: it's like asking which kid you like best. Buy both and love them equally. :)

Thank you! This has been extremely helpful.

To be more specific, I have a Mako Mk.II HO, which has better spacing between modes. However, the high on mine only works with an alkaline, so I never ever get to use it since I prefer lithium primaries or NiMH rechargeables. All that is to say the modes are on a level playing field.

I may need to pick up a Sapphire just to chase better color rendering. That, and they look pretty awesome too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may need to pick up a Sapphire just to chase better color rendering.

I vote Sapphire.
Because High CRI is the only way I fly.

I have had both the 5600k Yuji and the 3200k Yuji. Both are excellent in terms of beam quality and Color Rendering. For EDC I prefer the 5600k, otoh as a nightstand light or use in full darkness, I prefer the 3200k.

here is a comparison of the two color temperatures
zAXzrTN.jpg

kBeLXJW.jpg

k4ZqE65l.png

edit
I see you missed your chance to buy the 5600k Sapphire in the WTS section..
good luck with your sapphire hunt

fwiw
another rare Ti aaa option to include in your search
The FourSevens Atom A0 CPF edition, it is Titanium and it has a high cri nichia, in a mule head, with a GID reflector (pic is a link)

rare as hens teeth.. glwy searches for a high cri ti aaa.. another moddable host option btw is the Thrunite Ti aaa, which is presently available (link by PM)

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
Can't help with the Mako. Never owned one but have owned 2 Sapphires. One was the older 25 and now have the newer High CRI 5600K. Sold the older one and am contemplating get a second one in 3200K. These lights are just elegant simplicity.
1m4udROl.jpg

VTRkTSil.jpg

Another great option with a bit more output is the Peak Eiger series. Available in different metals and optics. Single mode or QTC for variable brightness. Fully potted. Made in the US also.
Here is my Sapphire with an Eiger Mule in raw aluminum.
Z5Q8u6kl.jpg

d.2.the.p

Newly Enlightened
Can't help with the Mako. Never owned one but have owned 2 Sapphires. One was the older 25 and now have the newer High CRI 5600K. Sold the older one and am contemplating get a second one in 3200K. These lights are just elegant simplicity.
1m4udROl.jpg

VTRkTSil.jpg

Another great option with a bit more output is the Peak Eiger series. Available in different metals and optics. Single mode or QTC for variable brightness. Fully potted. Made in the US also.
Here is my Sapphire with an Eiger Mule in raw aluminum.
Z5Q8u6kl.jpg

I foolishly got rid of all my Peak Eigers a while back. I had a mule and narrow optic Oveready editions with Nichia 219s. You live you learn.

d.2.the.p

Newly Enlightened
Based on feedback, it looks like I need to give the Sapphire a whirl. The 3200k Yuji might be calling my name...