Angryfox        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Until HDS comes out with a key chain flashlight, what are you carrying?

Default Until HDS comes out with a key chain flashlight, what are you carrying?

I currently have an aluminium Maratac AAA with a Nichia high CRI emitter which works fine. The Maratac is good quality but has no sizzle.

Was thinking about going to the McGizmo Sapphire as a sizzle upgrade and to support another USA flashlight maker. I know it is only 5 lumens but it is a back up to the HDS when I have to change batteries in pitch black conditions and need to read the battery label - primary versus rechargeable.

(yeah, I know, carry another HDS to back-up the HDS. I could take two but it is just too much bulk to carry all the time).

Default Re: Until HDS comes out with a key chain flashlight, what are you carrying?

I have a couple of Sofirn AAA lights, fully potted with Yuji emitters. I also have a Jetbeam modded with an ultra high CRI optisolis emitter. While I enjoy them, they don't find their way onto my key chain. That real estate is reserved for a delrin capsule housing a spare CR123 for my HDS. Since I don't need to distinguish between primary and rechargeable, I can easily swap batteries in the dark if necessary.

If Henry were to come out with a key chain light, I'd shed the extra battery--and perhaps even a few keys--in order to make room.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Default Re: Until HDS comes out with a key chain flashlight, what are you carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    ..I don't need to distinguish between primary and rechargeable, I can easily swap batteries in the dark if necessary.

If Henry were to come out with a key chain light, I'd shed the extra battery--and perhaps even a few keys--in order to make room.

I could always wait 60 seconds and put in my HDS flashlight whatever fully charged battery I had on hand. It is never that simple though. Recently, I was in the pitch black dark, with my dog, on a golf course, on top of a Pennsylvania mountain within a hundred yards of black bears, skunks, foxes, and Coyotes. I needed the Maratac to get my dog close to me while I changed out the HDS flashlight battery, which had a bad rechargeable in it. Stuff happens.

Going to look into the Sofirn option. Thanks for that.

If Henry were to come out with a key chain light I would purchase two of them sight unseen.

Flashaholic
    Formerly KE7AYF

Good old photon freedom covert in white. Has been on my keychain at least 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side" -ancient Chinese proverb

Enlightened

Peak Ultra Eiger... in Copper.

I find for my keychain light I need a bit more intensity at the expense of thermal management, because I often use it during the day to look in/under things. In that scenario I donít need it long but do need to bring the lux up to the ambient conditions my eyes are adapted to.

On the the flip side, in the backup light role I want it to have a low with infinite runtime.

I too would love it if HDS made a keychain light, if for no other reason than it is a crowded space with tough constraints. Iím sure any HDS would be differentiated and Iíd like to see the engineering!
    Last edited by SleepyInTheSun; 10-05-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: word order...

For many years, the steel Eiger (with 10180 / 10280 / 10440 tubes) was my choice.

Switched to a UniVex Ti AAA for a while, which was easier to activate, although less robust.

Lately though, the incredible tint and CRI of my (modded) Jetusolis 4000K outweighs all of the other tradeoffs for me, to carry it in this role.
    Last edited by archimedes; 10-05-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Based on my initial post a CPF member contacted me and I purchased his McGizmo Sapphire today with the Yuji 5600K emitter. Should be close to my HDS High Noon emitters. If I like it I will probably also purchase more directly from Don. Only downside I can see at this point is the lack of a spring in the battery compartment. May be a non-issue as I do not plan to mount this light on a bang stick rail.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 10-05-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling

So glad you picked that one up.
    Until recently I've had a Muyshondt Aeon on my keys.
    But I've decided that I'm not a keychain light sort of person.
    I do have at least 3 lights on me at any time and it was overkill.
    It now lives on Mts Yeti's keys, and is lost amongst the crap on her keyring.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

I still carry a 4 Sevens Atom on my keychain that was given to me by David.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

Flashaholic*

In case I need a very small light I usw my Preon Revo SS, a LF2XT or a Titan Plus.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

I carry a Niteye Mini1 in brass from Vihn with the SST20 hiCri. Iíve considered getting a second in Ti.

I like the small form factor of the 10180 and the ability to recharge. When I go on longer trips, I sometimes switch to a Lumitop EDC01 because it has a longer runtime and AAA are easier to find in an emergency.

I really wanted to use the Lumitop Elfin, because of it being CR123, but being SS it is too heavy for keychain. I would be all about it it they came out with a Ti Elfin.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I do have at least 3 lights on me at any time and it was overkill...

P
    You are the voice of my subconscious, telling me I need to carry more lights.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I can't deal with the responsibility.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

SF Titan T1A at the moment. Would be awesome to see an HDS keychain light.

Enlightened

The thing about these threads is just when I figure Iím content I suddenly find myself googling a few lights I havenít heard of and saying ďooh, thatís neatĒ....

And, to be slightly off topic ... ďFormerly KE7AYFĒ, why formerly? The glow of a radio makes a reasonable light as well (Iím also known as KI6PVI).

The Yuji 5600K in the Sapphire is lovvvvely. You will be very pleased!

I donít put a light on my keys specifically, but AAA lights that get dropped in my pocket as backup include the Sapphire, Mako, SF Titan A, Titan B and EO1.

I keep a Sofirn C01s with the SST20 led on my keys. The lens makes the low very useful. On high itís very bright (it does get hot but for short bursts itís fine)

Flashaholic
    Formerly KE7AYF

I reclased from a tech to a general and was worried they may change my call sign.

"When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side" -ancient Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    The Yuji 5600K in the Sapphire is lovvvvely. You will be very pleased!

I donít put a light on my keys specifically, but AAA lights that get dropped in my pocket as backup include the Sapphire, Mako, SF Titan A, Titan B and EO1.

I am looking forward to the Sapphire as an emergency back up pocket light. I also do not put anything on my key chain or in my key chain pocket but keys. The term key chain light is universally understood as a very small, easy to carry in your pocket light.

I like the Sofirn C01 quite a lot for this purpose. I have both warm and cool yujis and they are both excellent.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Ironically, Nitecore Tube.

Not a fan of Nitecore in general. Had a couple of bad experiences. Unreliable lights. Even had the TIP at first that failed miserably on me. But I liked the attachment point on the Tube and its flat design. Including its simplier U.I. compared to the TIP. Bought one, and several months later it has quietly taken up permanent residency on my main keyring.

Often, I would try out a number of various keychain lights. All would not last long, and then my Photon Freedom would quietly find its way back on there until I tried out another potential candidate to replace it. Usually, the new light would last a couple of weeks maybe longer. But soon enough, it was back to the Photon Freedom. I think the reason why the Tube is not going anywhere is because unlike the TIP, Nitecore got the Tube right. Reliable, no stupid B.S. like having an exposed charging port or buttons elevated to the point that after awhile they want to pop out. Plus, the Tube has all the features I like in the Freedom. Flat, very lightweight, drop-dead reliable.

45 lumens on High might not seem like a lot, and it's not. But it's definitely enough for what you'd reasonably expect to put a keychain light through. If I need more, that's what my primary or secondary lights are for.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Ironically, Nitecore Tube.

I was looking at the Nitecore tube, the Veleno Avanti Ti, and the Acebeam UC15vn customized by Skylumen. These are still on my consideration list although the Veleno is hard to find.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by The-David View Post
    I reclased from a tech to a general and was worried they may change my call sign.

Gotcha.

I actually really like the Tube too. I think the UI is fantastic for a small pocket light or any light really. (I think the old EX10 was similar.) On in low, easy ramping, shortcut to high, momentary. I got a few of the Tubes. Gave one to a buddy and he loves it. I think one or two died on me, still have one. But theyíre cheap enough to buy a handful in case you lose or smush some.

DQG spy with 219b, super small and always with me when out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    DQG spy with 219b
    Nice option!
    more Titanium keychain lights here

I always have my titanium Muyshondt Maus and black Photon Freedom with me. Love them both.

Quote Originally Posted by djj View Post
    I always have my titanium Muyshondt Maus and black Photon Freedom with me. Love them both.
    How do you like the Maus? I was considering the Maus but my hands are huge (XXL) and the McGizmo Sapphire seemed to have more tactile gripping surface to operate the light.
    Last edited by RCS1300; 10-08-2019 at 03:19 AM.

Muyshondt Aeon!

Superb quality, wonderful Nichia emitter, smaller than anything using AAA (CR2 battery is great compromise between size and power), great UI: choose 1,15, or 160 lumens with half presses. Great battery life with the 1 or 15 lumens--haven't had to replace my battery for at least a year.

One question: why do people keep their "keychain" light on a keychain? My Aeon is just fine being loose in my pocket and keeping it separate from my keys makes finding the right key easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Light View Post
    Muyshondt Aeon!

Superb quality, wonderful Nichia emitter, smaller than anything using AAA (CR2 battery is great compromise between size and power), great UI: choose 1,15, or 160 lumens with half presses. Great battery life with the 1 or 15 lumens--haven't had to replace my battery for at least a year.

One question: why do people keep their "keychain" light on a keychain? My Aeon is just fine being loose in my pocket and keeping it separate from my keys makes finding the right key easier.
    Thatís because the Aeon is not a keychain flashlight. Yes, there is an attachment point, but itís intended to be a pocket flashlight; there is a clip. Such a cool flashlight if it werenít for the unconventional battery size and warranty.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast