Until HDS comes out with a key chain flashlight, what are you carrying?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have an aluminium Maratac AAA with a Nichia high CRI emitter which works fine. The Maratac is good quality but has no sizzle.

Was thinking about going to the McGizmo Sapphire as a sizzle upgrade and to support another USA flashlight maker. I know it is only 5 lumens but it is a back up to the HDS when I have to change batteries in pitch black conditions and need to read the battery label - primary versus rechargeable.

(yeah, I know, carry another HDS to back-up the HDS. I could take two but it is just too much bulk to carry all the time).

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Sofirn AAA lights, fully potted with Yuji emitters. I also have a Jetbeam modded with an ultra high CRI optisolis emitter. While I enjoy them, they don't find their way onto my key chain. That real estate is reserved for a delrin capsule housing a spare CR123 for my HDS. Since I don't need to distinguish between primary and rechargeable, I can easily swap batteries in the dark if necessary.

If Henry were to come out with a key chain light, I'd shed the extra battery--and perhaps even a few keys--in order to make room.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
..I don't need to distinguish between primary and rechargeable, I can easily swap batteries in the dark if necessary.

If Henry were to come out with a key chain light, I'd shed the extra battery--and perhaps even a few keys--in order to make room.

I could always wait 60 seconds and put in my HDS flashlight whatever fully charged battery I had on hand. It is never that simple though. Recently, I was in the pitch black dark, with my dog, on a golf course, on top of a Pennsylvania mountain within a hundred yards of black bears, skunks, foxes, and Coyotes. I needed the Maratac to get my dog close to me while I changed out the HDS flashlight battery, which had a bad rechargeable in it. Stuff happens.

Going to look into the Sofirn option. Thanks for that.

If Henry were to come out with a key chain light I would purchase two of them sight unseen.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
Good old photon freedom covert in white. Has been on my keychain at least 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
Peak Ultra Eiger... in Copper.

I find for my keychain light I need a bit more intensity at the expense of thermal management, because I often use it during the day to look in/under things. In that scenario I don't need it long but do need to bring the lux up to the ambient conditions my eyes are adapted to.

On the the flip side, in the backup light role I want it to have a low with infinite runtime.

I too would love it if HDS made a keychain light, if for no other reason than it is a crowded space with tough constraints. I'm sure any HDS would be differentiated and I'd like to see the engineering!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
For many years, the steel Eiger (with 10180 / 10280 / 10440 tubes) was my choice.

Switched to a UniVex Ti AAA for a while, which was easier to activate, although less robust.

Lately though, the incredible tint and CRI of my (modded) Jetusolis 4000K outweighs all of the other tradeoffs for me, to carry it in this role.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on my initial post a CPF member contacted me and I purchased his McGizmo Sapphire today with the Yuji 5600K emitter. Should be close to my HDS High Noon emitters. If I like it I will probably also purchase more directly from Don. Only downside I can see at this point is the lack of a spring in the battery compartment. May be a non-issue as I do not plan to mount this light on a bang stick rail.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So glad you picked that one up.
Until recently I've had a Muyshondt Aeon on my keys.
But I've decided that I'm not a keychain light sort of person.
I do have at least 3 lights on me at any time and it was overkill.
It now lives on Mts Yeti's keys, and is lost amongst the crap on her keyring.
P

Sos24

Enlightened
I carry a Niteye Mini1 in brass from Vihn with the SST20 hiCri. I've considered getting a second in Ti.

I like the small form factor of the 10180 and the ability to recharge. When I go on longer trips, I sometimes switch to a Lumitop EDC01 because it has a longer runtime and AAA are easier to find in an emergency.

I really wanted to use the Lumitop Elfin, because of it being CR123, but being SS it is too heavy for keychain. I would be all about it it they came out with a Ti Elfin.

SleepyInTheSun

Newly Enlightened
The thing about these threads is just when I figure I'm content I suddenly find myself googling a few lights I haven't heard of and saying "ooh, that's neat"....

And, to be slightly off topic ... "Formerly KE7AYF", why formerly? The glow of a radio makes a reasonable light as well :poke: (I'm also known as KI6PVI).

nbp

Flashaholic
The Yuji 5600K in the Sapphire is lovvvvely. You will be very pleased!

I don't put a light on my keys specifically, but AAA lights that get dropped in my pocket as backup include the Sapphire, Mako, SF Titan A, Titan B and EO1.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a Sofirn C01s with the SST20 led on my keys. The lens makes the low very useful. On high it's very bright (it does get hot but for short bursts it's fine)

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I reclased from a tech to a general and was worried they may change my call sign.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Yuji 5600K in the Sapphire is lovvvvely. You will be very pleased!

I don't put a light on my keys specifically, but AAA lights that get dropped in my pocket as backup include the Sapphire, Mako, SF Titan A, Titan B and EO1.

I am looking forward to the Sapphire as an emergency back up pocket light. I also do not put anything on my key chain or in my key chain pocket but keys. The term key chain light is universally understood as a very small, easy to carry in your pocket light.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Sofirn C01 quite a lot for this purpose. I have both warm and cool yujis and they are both excellent.