Dark Ops Hellfire X-15 Broken?

Graham88

Newly Enlightened
I've Had this flashlight for ever, it's just always been really handy to use in my vehicle. I know it's questionable history and that it's not necessarily one of the better flashlights around.🤣 But I just like the styling and used it as a truck lite. I went to change the batteries the other day because it was getting dim. Put new batteries in and nothing.
Not really a very tecky or mechanic guy; any suggestions on how to figure out if it's the blub or something else is wrong?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I am not familiar with this particular item, but it appears to be a 6V incandescent torch ?

Those are not very complex circuits, so do you have the basics for testing and troubleshooting available ?

Spare batteries, lamps (bulbs) , wire, DMM, etc ?

What have you done so far ?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Boy just did some research on this light. I'm not interested in the junk about the manufacturer. But it sounds like one tough SOB of a light.cant find to much information on it but it says it does have a lockout bezel that totally immobilizes the light. Could be something there. Other then that try new batteries. Not sure if it has a tail cap so unsure if you can check the switch easily.But read that it can take some surefire lamp assembly. Can try that.

And also just learned that they we're made less then 20 miles from me in ny. 🤔

Last edited:

Graham88

Newly Enlightened
I will do some checking with a tester....... I don't have any extra bulbs, although I do have lots of batteries. :)
It's been a reliable light for the 8+ years I had it. Truly not sure how long. Cant find any infor about the Company still being around... Thank you for the info.. I'll let you know what I find.
standard.jpg

Graham88

Newly Enlightened
I've enjoyed the light and it has a great intimation rating with the spikes. :)
It is not the brightest, I would hate to loose it..
I have checked the lockout bezel, it appears fully closed... as it works by basicly unscrewing the light untill cotact is lost.. Thank you for the info.
standard.jpg

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your batteries are OK there's really only two things to go wrong, the bulb or the switch.
Take the head off and put the red lead of your DMM on the +ve of the top battery and the -ve against the bare metal of the body tube. Switch on and off, you should get a reading on the DMM. If you do, then use the continuity setting on the DMM to check the bulb, one probe on the spring and one on the metal body of the bulb. If there's no reading then put another bulb in. There's lots of P60 drop ins, Led or incan that will fit.
If the switch and bulb are fine, it's just and connection issue which you can cure with a good clean of the electrical contacts.
P

Graham88

Newly Enlightened
Awesome… Thank you for the info! Truly a Big Help. As this is not my area of expertise. :/
I'm going to check it out...
Also, the light had just regular 3 volt lithium batteries in it... when I changed them I used Rechargeable Capacity: 650mAh
Voltage: 3.7V / 2.4. Could that have caused an issue..

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
With and incan bulb, yes.
Your bulb is rated for 2 x 3 volt cells = 6 volts, if you used 2 li-Ion cells they are 4.2 volts off the charger (although they say 3.7v nominal, don't ask me why) so you've put 8.4 volts through a 6 volt bulb.
Never mind, we can help you find a replacement, if that's the case.
P

Graham88

Newly Enlightened

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, a pair of those will guve you 8.4v, so if your LED module wasn't rated for that high a voltage :poof:.
I've always wanted to use that emoticon.

All is not lost. Do the tests on the body. There's not an easy way to test the led module. If the switch and contacts are good,you've probably buggered the module.
We can help you find another, but check first.
P
P

Graham88

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, a pair of those will guve you 8.4v, so if your LED module wasn't rated for that high a voltage :poof:.
I've always wanted to use that emoticon.

All is not lost. Do the tests on the body. There's not an easy way to test the led module. If the switch and contacts are good,you've probably buggered the module.
We can help you find another, but check first.
P
P
Thank you!
And it Looks like I did "💥" the module.. 🤣
so now any thoughts on a replacement... I'd like to get another LED.. but one that can stand the power.

Graham88

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff, Sportac, Customlites to name but three.
P

Wow... what the best way to determine the model I need for this one? Didn't have a lot of luck trying to match one up.
Especially considering I'm not the brights bulb in the tool box whah it comes to electronics. 🤣

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably, but not necessarily in this order...
Price: You can pay between 10 and upwards of 100 dollars.
Output: How bright do you want it to be?
Runtime: The brighter it is the less runtime and vice versa
Beam pattern: Flood or Throw, although you won't get super throw from a drop in as the reflector is too small.
Colour temperature and tint: Do you want an ice white beam or something more gentle on your eyes. Are you bothered by a greenish / blueish / pinkish cast to the light?
Voltage: are you running it on 2 CR123s (6 volts) or a single Li-Ion cell (3.7 volts)?
THe specs will give you a safe voltage range for each product.
Durability: Malkoff are probably the ones that will put up with most abuse,
or you could pick up a cheap Solarforce drop in which will work, but who knows how long for.

Have a noodle around here for thos names, you should get a good idea about what's available. On the other hand you could just go to the Solarforce site, buy something that works and be done with it. This is the trouble with asking a load of nerds for their opinions.
P

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Not to familiar with thIs light but if it will accept a Malkoff Dropin. I'd get a M61 and call it a day.

Graham88

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I have some homework todo.. 🤣
Thank you so much.. If I find a possible match, I may ask your thoughts, just to be safe. 🙃