NAPA NIGHTVISION Lines (CLEAR, VIVID, BRILLIANT).

jzchen

Enlightened
So they claim brighter AND longer life, which is from my understanding a contradiction in terms. The bulb tinting goes opposite to the brightness convention as well.

Blatant false advertising? Thoughts please?

Thanks in advance...

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Tinting to contend with HID lights" is why it is fully tinted, though I'm not aware of any true convention on the matter. Brightest in their lineup I think is what they intend, although it doesn't exactly say that in that line...it's all marketing speak as far as I'm concerned. I doubt that NAPA makes their own lamps so it's just someone else's design with their name stamped on it. That might even be why the tinting is different. Wouldn't want people to mistake them for Sylvania's Silverstar line. Web page says 1340 lumens for the H3 version, which isn't too bad really. My Olight M2T is rated for 1200 lumens and with the small OP reflector still lights up quite a bit. I think it would be sufficient light in most cases, just not sure I'd pay $25 or more for it. I'd have to see them in operation first.

Last edited:

jzchen

Enlightened
Thank you for the input!

I got to read the back labeling of one of the packages, where I found a clue to the manufacturer. I saw "Old World Industries". Their well known product is Peak Antifreeze. Seems like they are diversifying in many directions...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Last time I checked (about 9 months ago) most of NAPA's bulb lineup was being migrated from poor-quality American junk (Wagner) to very-poor-quality (not even up to Eiko level) offshore junk. Looking around today at their hype confirms it: junk, through and through.

Web page says 1340 lumens for the H3 version, which isn't too bad really.

Don't know what website you're looking at, but that 1340 figure is almost certainly pulled out of some BS artist's heiny. It's also not very good; the max allowable output at 12.8v is 1505 lumens.

My Olight M2T is rated for 1200 lumens

...which has absolutely nothing to do with how much light comes out of a vehicle lamp equipped with an H3 bulb.

I'd have to see them in operation

What is it you have in mind that you think you would see?

jzchen

Enlightened

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interestingly I found the Eiko Brand on the Peak website. Peak also has "Peak" branded bulbs, which have a 3 year warranty like the NAPA ones, but seem to show a clear window on the glass next to the filament, maybe a higher performing version?
Maybe PFR from another maker, maybe junk. We know where we can get genuine, high performance bulbs (Philips, Narva, Flösser, Osram); why are we looking for them in store brands?

* Proprietary Coating Produces a whiter light that is closer to HID than a standard halogen lamp
Ugghh... Technically, all halogen lamps are equidistant from an HID lamp considering the difference in how the light is produced. Also, one more time and louder for the people in the back: "White light is white!"

* The Power Vision Window increases light output to produce our best nighttime illumination
That the envelope is windowed in the first place is to reduce output to legal limits.

But I guess no good is no good.
Sometimes the guess is absolutely right!

jzchen

Enlightened
I was in the local NAPA one day. It is not near, but their website noted they had a particular oil drain gasket in stock for a particular car the others, much nearer AutoZone or O'Reilly's, did not list, so while I was there I perused around.

I saw them, got hooked by the marketing, then came here to search. I may not have searched hard enough, but I did not find a thread on them so I thought I'd ask...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It's really sad what has happened to NAPA over the years and decades. In the past they were pro all the way; even their lower priced second-line parts were of dependably good quality. Now they've descended into the sewer with Pep Boys, O'Reilly, Schucks and the rest of them, selling mostly cheap (but not necessarily inexpensive!) garbage.

Of course, that all depends on perspective. Obviously slinging rubbish generates better returns than selling quality.

Latest posts