Work light

RSLSCKBEKLSHKL

Newly Enlightened
Looking to buy a light to use at work. I currently switched back to my Malkoff MDC (HML) CR123. Was wearing a BG V2 for a long time. Looking into walls and snaking wires etc, it's just too bright. The lowering to 200 lumens can be annoying at work in crawls and attics too. Great light outside of work.

My Streamlight is ok but very cool light color and I hate the strobe.

This is really an excuse to buy a light most likely. I'm thinking of high/low and very simple. Floody and neutral are optimal I'd think.
Has to be tough. Prefer to stick to cr123 or 18650

Malkoff MD2 high/low
Surefire EDC1-T
Olight Baton Pro (idk about that side switch and all the settings honestly)
Other?

Would prefer to stay at and under $150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL SC64W is what I use all day fishing cable.
You can set it up pretty much any way that you want in 3 different configurations at the same time so I use 1 for work,pretty much the opposite of the Work config for Not Work and another for Camping.

I also really like the Milwaukee AAA Penlight and chew on one a lot!
Only 100 lumens but decent CRI and just solid and simple for a lot of uses.
Love the rubber mouth mount too!

Looking to buy a light to use at work. I currently switched back to my Malkoff MDC (HML) CR123. Was wearing a BG V2 for a long time. Looking into walls and snaking wires etc, it's just too bright. The lowering to 200 lumens can be annoying at work in crawls and attics too. Great light outside of work.

My Streamlight is ok but very cool light color and I hate the strobe.

This is really an excuse to buy a light most likely. I'm thinking of high/low and very simple. Floody and neutral are optimal I'd think.
Has to be tough. Prefer to stick to cr123 or 18650

Malkoff MD2 high/low
Surefire EDC1-T
Olight Baton Pro (idk about that side switch and all the settings honestly)
Other?

malkoff mdc 2AA (3 modes)
malkoff m61 with h/l ring
malkoff m361 on vme + 16650 host
malkoff m361 on md2 with h/l ring (6 modes)
malkoff hound dog 18650 (on low is perfect for all tasks)

RSLSCKBEKLSHKL

Newly Enlightened
So it's always high medium low but you can program the degree of each?

Is it click (on or momentary) once for high 2nd time is medium, 3rd is low?

RSLSCKBEKLSHKL

Newly Enlightened
Marco, I'd prefer less modes. 2. Maybe 3. High low preferred.

I own a hound dog (because of you and a couple others) and love it but it's too big for work carry.

I'm still green on the m361. What's the difference between that and a stock md2 hi low?

I was thinking maybe 5-30 lumens on low. 500 high. Give or take.

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
If you have the V2 BG why not get a VME and a M61LN. You get 200lm and a nice tint on the 18650 BG body so it will run a while. You won't have a low however.

RSLSCKBEKLSHKL

Newly Enlightened
Rather be able to have less lumens down low and more lumens up high.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I use an M61T hi/lo ring at work. Among others. The low is good for a few feet and the high will reach the other side of our warehouse.

RSLSCKBEKLSHKL

Newly Enlightened
Is the neutral a better Idea ? Gene thought so. I've considered the T as well as the HOT.

RSLSCKBEKLSHKL

Newly Enlightened
One thing I should mention is I have noticed medium on my mdc is pretty useful. The md2 low is only 5. Pretty dim. I don't see any malkoff options for a low at around 25 lumens except for the Hound dog (too big) or the mdc XP-L (3 modes meh). Kind of trying not to take on another battery type too.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to assume that this is for me?

The ZL interface essentially lets you make any or all of the 3 modes any of the 12 brightness levels you want so you can have all 3 modes be the same level as an extreme 1 mode example or you can have them be l-m-h or the reverse of that or really about any order that you want as the mode/level selection.

But then there is also the secondary level in each mode that makes them even handier for me for work and play!

Lets say the low is too low for a daylight fish,a quick double click will select a higher low just in that low mode group.
But you can have different setups and orders for 2 of the 3 Config Groups so that for work mine is H-M-L but for later it is L-M-H and for Camping maybe M-M L and all with different settings in each location of modes and always still a higher second level within each level to boot!

It is not as confusing as it sounds at all and I have yet to find anything more easily configured or flexible?
I love the Ramp interfaces for some things as well but for work I just need to have programmed and known levels that I can rely on for certain things and no ramp interface lets me have the variety of those as a ZL.

I also have several Malkoff and they are terrific for sure but as you have said just too big for me for work as a handheld light.
There are no smaller 18650 lights than the ZL at least in any meaningful measure of smaller.

I can get the ZL in both Handheld and Headlamp and program them to work exactly the same way and I have and I do all the time.
So it's always high medium low but you can program the degree of each?

Is it click (on or momentary) once for high 2nd time is medium, 3rd is low?

Last edited:

RSLSCKBEKLSHKL

Newly Enlightened
Wow that sounds complicated. I was thinking of just hi low but I'd consider h-m-l. I just find it annoying on my MDC for some reason. Hard to find the perfect low high balance without 3 modes though so I see the utility in it.

Only the Hound Dog was too big. The md2 etc is fine. I find the MDC a bit too small.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its really not that complicated but is tough to explain somehow?

You can make it a single mode if you want or a double or triple or all three as there are 3 different customizable configs that you can easily switch between.

You can also just leave it as it ships and learn it and how you like it and never change anything as many do as well.

There are reasons that they are so popular and getting one into your hands is the only way to really understand how powerful but simple they are.

Wow that sounds complicated. I was thinking of just hi low but I'd consider h-m-l. I just find it annoying on my MDC for some reason. Hard to find the perfect low high balance without 3 modes though so I see the utility in it.

Only the Hound Dog was too big. The md2 etc is fine. I find the MDC a bit too small.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
FW3A from Neal's Gadgets might fit the requirements. It's fully capable of blinding you all day but the UI is easy to use out of the box. One click to turn on in last used mode, press and hold to ramp up, release then press and hold again to ramp down, one click to turn off from on. Double-click to turbo (2800 lumens) the only possible problem is it needs a flat top IMR or INR 18650. Space is very limited and not every cell will fit. It can light up from basically 0.5 lumen or so to about 2800 lumens.

Last edited:

RSLSCKBEKLSHKL

Newly Enlightened
Battery thing sounds annoying. Ramping is cool. Don't like the turn on in last used mode.

Too small

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Polytac or Polytac X

ten-tap programmable, 35/260/600 lumen modes. Comes in several colors.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a HL-X. Hate the strobe feature.

The HL-X has three mode groups that you can use the ten-tap programming feature to switch between.
Group 1: High->Strobe->Low
Group 2: High only
Group 3: Low->Medium->High

If your only complaint is the strobe, just switch to group 3 so you have 3 levels and no strobe.

--flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading over this thread, it seems like you really want an MD2. Too plain vanilla? How about a neutral, high CRI Wildcat? Looks like he's out of stock at the moment but he tends to restock quickly.