Source for copper tape, non adhesive?

nimdabew

Enlightened
Does anyone have a source for copper tape for heat sinking that doesn't have adhesive on it? I have a bunch of M61 dropins that are just loose sitting in the hosts and I would like to get a better fit for them. I have tried using aluminum foil and failed.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't find naked tape, you may well be able to remove the adhesive with isopropyl alcohol, maybe you call it "rubbing alcohol" over there?
P

thermal guy

Flashaholic
They do make copper shim stock. We use it in our machine shop. Think we get it from grangers.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.quickshipmetals.com/sample-copper-stainless-pak.html

Worked excellently for me. 3 inches length is enough because the smooth pack comes in different thickness samples. Sometimes one wrap is sufficient. Usually 2 wraps of 2 different thicknesses work. Consider putting the thinner wrap on the dropin, with the thicker (and easier to insert) wrap as the outer layer.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have a source for copper tape for heat sinking that doesn't have adhesive on it? I have a bunch of M61 dropins that are just loose sitting in the hosts and I would like to get a better fit for them. I have tried using aluminum foil and failed.

Exactly what failed? Otherwise you're just doing the exact same thing but with a different conductor. For all we know you are trying to pack these drop-ins into a head that is completely anodized inside and out.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
aren't m61 drop in made of brass? brass has worst thermal conductivity than aluminum, using copper will do nothing to improve it. it is like putting a plastic bag over someone's head, and opening a window. it won't help him breathe better

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP said that the drop ims are loose in their hosts, so copper tape will improve the fit. Also any heat transfer between the brass and the host can only be improved by using copper. Brass will transfer heat, maybe not as efficiently as copper but it is hardly an insulator. If it gets hot, which it does, the copper will tranfer the heat. The only way the copper won't transfer heat is if there is none to transfer.
P

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
then he needs to wrap more of it and tighter, to the point of having to push hard on the drop in for it to go in, it isn't the aluminum foil that failed, it is him that failed to use it properly, aluminum transfers heat better than brass, using copper foil over aluminum will give 0 advantages with brass drop in.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
then he needs to wrap more of it and tighter, to the point of having to push hard on the drop in for it to go in, it isn't the aluminum foil that failed, it is him that failed to use it properly, aluminum transfers heat better than brass, using copper foil over aluminum will give 0 advantages with brass drop in.
I too find aluminum foil wrapping cumbersome, yet I do not feel like a failure. Copper does transfer heat better than aluminum foil. Maybe not a whole lot and certainly not enough to make much of a difference in this application yet it is a good idea and I applaud nimdabew for asking members here on the forum, and hope no one does not ask a question because he or she was fearful of being accused of failing to use something properly.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is absolutely possible to use aluminum foil for it i have over a dozen of p60 wrapped, many others use it as well, it does not fail. it works, when you use it correctly.

i realize it maybe easier to use thicker shim stock, but to say foil failed is at very least misleading

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the original post...

As far as I can see, you, Mr alpg88 are trying to pick a fight over the conductivity of various metals.
I think it may be time for you to step back, or even better, tell the poor guy where to get some tape that doesn't have adhesive on it.
The click you hear now.....
"Click'
Is the sound of the Ignore Button.
P

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
lets hope ignore button does not fail for you lol

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read this three times. I'm confused as well as to how aluminum foil "failed" and how copper tape would make a difference. Aluminum foil can not "fail" on a drop in. You literally just wrap it until it's tight fitting into your host. I wrap mine so tight I have to put the drop in on a wood block and shove it in using quite a bit of strength. Please enlighten us OP before this gets totally out of hand.

If you really need copper tape without adhesive go to lowes or Walmart or literally anywhere with a garden section and look for copper foil. It's used to repel slugs.

Oh and [emoji3][emoji56]🤣[emoji8][emoji13]🤓[emoji1]🥳[emoji39]🙃 for the sensitive

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I hope most of this is good-natured joking ... and the use of smilies can help convey tone, as may be appropriate :rolleyes:

Oh I'm thinking it's not.😂 but gentlemen there are bigger fish to fry out there instead of arguing over conductivity 🤔

nimdabew

Enlightened
Maybe I am wrapping the drop-ins poorly, but every time I try and use aluminum foil, I end up using about 8 layers (folded before wrapping around the drop-in) and when I press it in, it tears. I did about 7 attempts on one drop-in before saying to hell with it, and I was looking at about 7 more host/drop ins to do that night. Thicker foil or thicker copper tape would be easier to work with since it won't tear as easily.

I like the removing adhesive idea from above. I can find thick adhesive tape all day so I will try that.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one point in time Vinh had an excellent video on wrapping drop ins. May be able to find it on YouTube.