Looking for a powerful mini LED flashlight USB chargeable...

4estFire

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'm going to be today's annoying noob asking a question that has probably been asked a dozen times before. In my defense, I did look in the FAQs and for some sort of beginner's buyer's guide-type thread, but couldn't find anything.

I'm after a light with a small profile so it can fit in my pocked as an EDC. I don't want to be messing with taking batteries out to charge them. I want an internal battery that I can just plug in using a micro usb since I have so many laying around. I want it to be super bright, but I understand the small profile will likely limit that somewhat, which is okay. So basically I need one of the smallest, brightest, toughest lights.

An adjustable beam would be great, but not mandatory. I think I'd get a kick out of the light if it would project a long distance outside, so that would be cool.

Budget would be around $100.

Really, I just want an impressively bright light. I've had a mag light the size of a sharpie before, but that was 20 years ago. I'm expecting a new LED light will blow that out of the water. I'm not really interested in getting into flashlights as a hobby - it all seems interesting as I've read through the threads, but it also seems like the kind of thing I'd blow way too much money on so I want to buy one, keep it, and never come back here, hah.

Is there a quick and easy answer for me, or are there way too many factors that would limit the possibility of just giving a couple of good suggestions?

Would like to buy online to make it easy. I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight Baton Pro is first. It's new and fits the "Impressively bright light" part. It uses their proprietary charging system which has a USB plug on one end and a magnetic attachment puck on the other.

Klarus G10 would be another. It's been around a bit longer but has a micro-USB port on the side.

Nitecore TUP or TIP2 keychain type lights. They have a couple more but those two are on the higher end of the output scale.

All of these makers have online stores to shop at and can be found on amazon. Except for maybe the Olight...it's really new so might be a while yet before it is. The have a whole line of lights that use the magnetic charger puck so maybe you can find something just browsing their site first.

Overall just places to start. Welcome and enjoy.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Really, I just want an impressively bright light. I've had a mag light the size of a sharpie before, but that was 20 years ago. I'm expecting a new LED light will blow that out of the water....

Just for fun, what about a ~ 2000 lumen modded "micro-Mag" ?

You would have to pull the battery (IMR14500) to charge, however.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
One im considering buying is the thrunite t1 nw. Dont have it but a few reviews ive read seemed positive. $40 on the jungle. Might be worth a look.

Sos24

Enlightened
What I would recommend is check out some 16340/cr123 flashlights and purchase a 16340 battery with a micro usb port like one from Olight. You have to take the battery out to charge, but all you need is the cord and you can also replace or have a spare battery as well.

Some of the smallest and brightest 16340/CR123 flashlights are
- Olight S1 mini baton
- Fenix E16
- FourSevens Mini
- Jetbeam RRT-01
- Olight S1 baton

TeronG

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E18R - it's like E16 with built-in charger, so you never have to take out the battery.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm after a light with a small profile so it can fit in my pocked as an EDC.
I want an internal battery that I can just plug in using a micro usb
Budget would be around $100.

... I just want an impressively bright light.
are there way too many factors that would limit the possibility of just giving a couple of good suggestions?

your choice of a light depends partly on what you consider "small"

I recommend against USB built into the light, because while it is charging, you dont have a light

imo better to charge a battery outside the light, so you can keep using the light with a spare battery..
there are batteries with built in USB charging ports.. and there are chargers that plug in to USB

Here is an impressively bright light, that has built in USB charging: the MecArmy PT-18 (1000 lumens w 18650), alternatively the PT-16 (1100 lumens w 18350) is half as long

both are bigger than I want to carry

here is a light that is bright, and smaller
Klarus Mi7 (700 lumens w 14500)

for a charger I recommend the
Olight Universal Charger
it will charge all different sizes of batteries, and it plugs in to a USB port

try to narrow down your choices by battery type, that influences the size of the light
do you want to use an AAA size light, then consider the Manker E02, its bright, but brightness is only one criteria. Are you ok with bright and green tinted, or do you want to venture into the High CRI options?

Or an AA size light such as the Klarus Mi7 or Eagletac D3a (400 lumens w 14500)

or 16340 size, such as the Eagletack D3c (800 lumens w 16340)

or 18650 size, such as the Lumintop FW3... (3000 lumens w 18650)

"impressively bright" depends on what you consider impressive.. 100 lumens, 300 lumens, 700 lumens, 1000 lumens, 3000 lumens...

with your budget, you can buy a Titanium light.. those are always impressive :)

visual aides:
4Veoj1wl.jpg

jEu2TOdl.jpg

J9ZGlIPl.png

Last edited:

Basscrazy

Newly Enlightened
Is there an advantage to a battery with side charging all mine need external charger

Neilrazer

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Microstream USB uses a proprietary 10430 Li-ion battery which stays in the light and charges with a micro-USB port. Has forward tail clicky and low-high mode unless you get the coyote color which works high-low. It's 250 lumens on high. I'd rather the low was lower but there is a noticeable difference. Not sure the lumens on low. It's just a bit longer than the regular Microstream and has the double clip that works in either direction. The clip doesn't come off easily either.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Looks like I'm going to be today's annoying noob asking a question that has probably been asked a dozen times before. [...]
No worries at all, my very first thread back in 2007 was one of the multitudes looking for a small AAA flashlight - one of the most common CPF thread topics of all time, lol.
I've moved your thread to a more applicable subforum; :welcome: