Need help with finding a new single AA EDC

bhds

Enlightened
Looking for a single AA pocket light to replace my current Thorfire TG06 EDC. My requirements are:

Single AA alkaline

Tailcap clicky

Single or multi levels of output but must start at highest level

Highest output mode should be a reasonable level that can be maintained for more than 30 seconds on alkalines

No Mode memory

No Electronic switch

No Side switch

Thanks.

longuylander

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Sofirn SF10. Runs on one AA or a 14500 li-on (if you ever wish to use one). Has a clicky tail switch. Starts in high mode, no memory. Runs at 100 lumens on AA and will last hours. Puts out 50, 15, and 2 with half clicks of the switch. Double tap gives a strobe mode. Going for less than ten bucks on various Chinese sites.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe have a look at a Streamlight Protac 1L 1AA. As well as running on a single AA it can also use a CR123 for higher output and versatility. 3 different mode groups, 1) high/strobe/low 2) high only 3) low/high.
Plus it will run on primaries or Li-ion.
It may be just the ticket.
P

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the 1L-1AA - that's what I am carrying. I usually run it on Eneloops but it will work with alkaline AA's and even AAA's if that's all that you have to feed it.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Sofirn SF10. Runs on one AA or a 14500 li-on (if you ever wish to use one). Has a clicky tail switch. Starts in high mode, no memory. Runs at 100 lumens on AA and will last hours.

Runs at 100 lumens for hours on an AA? Or runs with a slowly (or rapidly) declining output for hours?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coast HX5, if you want adjustable focus. Only 1 output level. I ran mine on NiMh rechargeables, so I don't have any idea of runtime on alkalines.

longuylander

Newly Enlightened
That's actually a good question, and one I cannot answer. I've only run it on Li-on or NiMH. I'd like to guess that it would hold up well for a couple of hours. They do list the run time on an alkaline AA as 8 hours total on high... If that's true, it'd have to be because of diminishing output.

bhds

Enlightened
Check out the Sofirn SF10. Runs on one AA or a 14500 li-on (if you ever wish to use one). Has a clicky tail switch. Starts in high mode, no memory. Runs at 100 lumens on AA and will last hours. Puts out 50, 15, and 2 with half clicks of the switch. Double tap gives a strobe mode. Going for less than ten bucks on various Chinese sites.

Cant really find any good revues on it but it looks pretty close to what I'm looking for. Unfortunately its unavailable on Amazon and I'm not too crazy about purchasing from a foreign website-credit card, personal data etc. :confused:

bhds

Enlightened
Gawd Amazon can be infuriating sometimes.:hairpull:

Search for "sofirn sf10" and you get 2 results for the SP31 and C8F. Search for "sf10" and you get 804 results for water filters, books, tennis shoes, hoses, chairs etc. but the very first of those 804 is for a sofirn sf10 selling for $8.99. :wtf:

Anyways, I have one coming tomorrow. Time to go to bed:tired:

longuylander

Newly Enlightened
And if you search "sf10 sofirn" it's the only light that comes up! How can a company like Amazon have such a flawed search engine?

Regardless, I hope you like the light when it comes!

bhds

Enlightened
Okay, received the SF10 and initial impressions are positive. Build quality is surprisingly good for a 9 dollar light and it works flawlessly out of the box. :thumbsup:

Its a lot bigger than I was expecting. Diameter approximately the same as the Thorfire TG06 and slightly longer by maybe 1/16. The old Fenix E11 is still my gold standard.

High mode is visibly lower than the Thorfire which matches up with the advertised specs of both lights. Going to put fresh alkalines in both lights and run both on high and see how the SF10 holds up. Hopefully it can hold the high mode for at least for several minutes before stepping down to next level.