Flashlights for travel ?

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened
I have spent some time reading and searching which has created more confusion for me as a bit of a newb. So I will break this post down into several different questions to try to be direct as possible. Background, only non-basic flashlight I have bought is an Olight S20R, it is OK- but has not wowed me. I bought a high-end charger and several 18650 batteries so I have that purchase already behind me.

1) Thought I was sold on the Surefire brand (willing to spend what it takes for high quality) and noticed that Surefire only has a few 18650 lights available... I like the idea of the Fury for size, but I am not a fan of "bright only" and the "auto-dim" thing seems odd without a way to select dimmer light only. If Surefire is at top of the game, why only three "dual fuel" lights?

2) I also read a lot of discussion about AA, AAA lights and many of you seem to like them. Is there something I need to know about 18560s that you CPF gear-heads don't like? Or is it just a matter of airline's dislike for lithium-ions and added ability to buy batteries anywhere?

3) What this is leading to is a "trust your life" type of purchase for an upcoming trip to the bush in Guyana, South America. I am doing a hammock camping/river fishing trip there in a couple of weeks and want a light I can depend on, and to light up the forest if I hear something that causes the hair on my neck to stand up. I don't want it to be too big, but I want it to throw a bright beam. I would also like it to be useful when back home for other "bumps in the night". Budget is under $150. Thinking somewhere around 1,000+ lumens, 18650 batteries, (unless #2 convinces me different), I also don't really want the expense of throw away CR123s, waterproof, shockproof, and able to carry in pocket reasonably well. Considering Fenix TK15 and like Surefire's reputation but not sure the Fury is for me. What other lights should I look into...

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I know how to search and as stated I have read a bunch- but if you point me to a specific light I will gladly search for reviews/discussions to help narrow down my decision, just don't know what I don't know on this topic yet- but wanting to learn.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Few questions for first post-

Your post above has been approved. The title is a bit vague, and you've asked three distinctly different (although interrelated) questions.

I think after this runs for a bit, you'll get some suggestions, and you may want to refocus your topic(s) ... which is fine.

Welcome to CPF !

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have a look at malkoff lights in general and a 18650 Hound Dog for your specific need. It has a similar form factor to the Fury except it has hi and lo accessed by twisting the head. It'll also run on two cr123s in an emergency.
You'll find it a lot easier to deal with Malkoff than SF as it's a small shop run by a husband and wife team. The guy that builds the lights also answers the phone and emails. If you have any queries before you buy, just call - they will always help.
Malkoff is the brand many of us would use in an emergency. They're also built like brick outhouses and lifetime warranty means lifetime warranty.
I use three brands: Malkoff, Oveready and HDS.
There's enogh reading here to keep you quiet over the weekend at least.
Good luck in your search.
P

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

There are significant trade-offs between 18650 and AA as you mention above (safety, availability, convenience, etc)

I do have a strong preference for AA while traveling, especially anywhere even potentially "remote"

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also what is the power source for your 'high end charger' that you plan to use with your 18650 and how often will you have the opportunity to charge?

Agree with the above, the rule of: 2 is 1....1 is none applies.

Get a smaller AA light like the Fenix E12 as well for simplicity and good functionality, perhaps even look into an inexpensive headlamp while you are at it. Hands free when you need to be is indispensable.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Double A lights are smaller than 18650/CR123 lights. Yet in 2019 they can be about as bright as a bigger light was 5 years ago. Plus double A batteries are available and cheap all over the place.

SureFire makes tactical lights. Primary 123 cells as a rule are less prone to fail under stressful scenarios. Low voltage, protective circuits can cause unexpected lights out under diress, primaries do not.

Malkoff makes lights built for stress too, but Gene Malkoff started the trend of oversized barrels before it became obvious that 18650's would become the norm.

Check out the Streanlight catalog. A lot to choose from there.

Welcome aboard.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use and would offer that you think about 2 Zebralights in whichever battery format that you decide is the right answer for you.
This seems like an obvious application where 2 is indeed 1 and all else aside you will want to have a working option no matter what it takes.

The ZL interface is great and powerful yet also simple yet flexible all at the same time and can be set up in any way that you think makes the most sense for you.
I would get a handheld flashlight and a headlamp for these too as the HL can be invaluable in the bush where you often do need both hands for other things and since both lights will have the ZL interface and options you can also set them up to work exactly the same way which is a pretty huge advantage when you need to run a light from memory when awakened in the dark in a strange place like it sounds like is your plan.

Yo should be able to do this close to your price point too especially if you end up with AA lights which also seems pretty obvious a choice to me as the batteries truly will be available anywhere you might be but the ability to reliably charge 18650s may well not be something you can count on?

You trade output for reality but any bright light might be more than you need in the dead of night in a Jungle too.

Thats what I do at least in the wild.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

I would also recommend Malkoffs. Probably a 18650 hound dog. Plenty of throw and built tough. An if I was heading into the bush id also take an MD3 with several heads all set up as backup.

And I know you say you don't want them but trust me primary 123's are what you want in an emergency. At least carry some as a back up

Last edited:

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for the feedback. I called Malkoff today, and the gentleman who answered the phone was a great guy (builder/designer). Made me want to give him my money as I prefer to support the "little guys" doing big things, and keeping my money in the US is a bonus. He too mentioned the Hound Dog, although it may be a bit bigger than I may want, it sure sounds like a great product for around the farm spotting coyotes and checking in on livestock.

I should have mentioned that I have a decent headlamp that I use for camp chores and agree with the advice about going "hands-free".

I will look a bit deeper into the AA platform to asses how things have changed recently. However, I have several Nitecore/Olight 18650 batteries that should get me through for a few days. If it is a survival thing and I can make it to a place that sells AA batteries, I guess I would be found... so still trying to weight the options on this one.

At this point I am really considering why I wouldn't by a Malkoff product (which I had never heard of prior to reading this site) and seeing if there may be a better option for my first "higher-end" flashlight, however, based on my history with guns, knives, camping gear- I doubt it will be my last...

Guitar Guy

Enlightened

+1 on Malkoff, and on the Hound Dog. I have one which takes two 18650 cells, and love it. Even if you need a more pocketable model, there are some great models, and they are built like tanks, in addition to everything else mentioned above. I also have a 2AA Malkoff on the nightstand as a household light.

I have a pretty good variety of Fenix and Malkoff lights, and like them all very well, but when you say "trust your life" or extreme conditions, I say Malkoff. They are almost "over engineered", the way the military would do it.

I like the 18650 Li-ion cell a lot for high performance. I would suggest buying only the best protected cells, and reading up extensively on care, handling, charging, and make sure you're good with all that, as they are a bit higher risk to some extent. Lights that take 2 of those cells can provide a pretty good range of runtimes & brightness.

Yes, 123s are great backups. Small, work well in cold weather, and have a long shelf life – 10 yrs, I think.

mayfly-1970

Newly Enlightened

I would also recommend Malkoffs. Probably a 18650 hound dog. Plenty of throw and built tough. An if I was heading into the bush id also take an MD3 with several heads all set up as backup.

And I know you say you don't want them but trust me primary 123's are what you want in an emergency. At least carry some as a back up

123's as backups make a lot of sense, my issue is when it is the "only" battery that the flashlight will accept (non 18650- like most Surefires).

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Hound Dog 18650 was my first high end flashlight purchase. Over the last few years, I've bought and sold many but this one is a keeper. As far as batteries, I've standardized my collection around 18650s and CR123s. It's certainly true that AA and AAA are more universally available, but I always plan to rely on my own supply even when traveling. As a rule, I never assume I'll be able to score new batteries on the fly, regardless of how common they may be. Never been disappointed.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

1) Thought I was sold on the Surefire brand ... If Surefire is at top of the game, why only three "dual fuel" lights?
Surefire is a huge name with a lot of history and pioneering back in the day, but in 2019 they are more a legacy brand than a top of the game brand. There are much better options today :)

2) I also read a lot of discussion about AA, AAA lights and many of you seem to like them. Is there something I need to know about 18560s that you CPF gear-heads don't like? Or is it just a matter of airline's dislike for lithium-ions and added ability to buy batteries anywhere?
On CPF we like a lot of things and a lot of options. 2 is 1, different horses for different courses, and variety is the spice of life, ha ha. So while there are some that stick to AA/AAA only and some that stick to lithium only, most of us have a lot of both because each chemistry has its strengths and weaknesses.

3) What this is leading to is a "trust your life" type of purchase for an upcoming trip to the bush in Guyana, South America... Budget is under $150. Thinking somewhere around 1,000+ lumens, 18650 batteries, (unless #2 convinces me different), I also don't really want the expense of throw away CR123s, waterproof, shockproof, and able to carry in pocket reasonably well... What other lights should I look into...
There are many good brands and models on the market, but in my opinion Malkoff truly is top of the game for quality, value, reliability and customer service.
For what you've written as your mission requirement, I recommend Malkoff.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

...Thinking somewhere around 1,000+ lumens...
You may have already read about how our eyes work with brightness, that the difference between 500 lumens and 1,000 is "just noticeable". With that in mind, I would encourage you to take a look at the MD2 M61HOT and MD2 M61T lights (with high/low switches) in addition to the 18650 Hound Dog. They offer a lot in a smaller size.

daffy

Enlightened

You may have already read about how our eyes work with brightness, that the difference between 500 lumens and 1,000 is "just noticeable". With that in mind, I would encourage you to take a look at the MD2 M61HOT and MD2 M61T lights (with high/low switches) in addition to the 18650 Hound Dog. They offer a lot in a smaller size.
Plus the light mentioned in quote above can use cr123, rcr123, 18350 and 18650 so goes beyond dual fuel with 18650 being the longest runtime, and yes i do own the MD2 with 2 heads.
Even the standard MD2 head that comes with the normal MD2 is a good compromise of throw/spill.
Unless you become particularly fussy about the tint or kelvin, its what i would recommend as well.
Not the cheapest nor the most expensive, but the quality in hand is obvious.
And the MD2 can take a HoundDog 18650 head but it has to be the Cool White version as it supports up to 6 volts (M61T can go to 9v hence 2x 16340/18350).

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

And the MD2 can take a HoundDog 18650 head but it has to be the Cool White version as it supports up to 6 volts (M61T can go to 9v hence 2x 16340/18350).
According to the Malkoff site, the neutral can take 6 volts as well.
P

Lumen83

Enlightened

123's as backups make a lot of sense, my issue is when it is the "only" battery that the flashlight will accept (non 18650- like most Surefires).

Will you have power to recharge the 18650 cells on the trip? It sounds like you might not. I'm curious then why are you sold on 18650s? I trust surefire 123As in a wider range of conditions much more than my best 18650s. When you get back you may be able to use 16650s for general use. Many surefire flashlights take 16650s.