FTP Client required, any suggestions?

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple enough question really, the guy who hosts my site for me, has just enabled an FTP system to allow easier access to what's on the server. So, I need an SSL/TLS enabled FTP client to use this feature. Then I can finally get myself a complete mirror of the site easily!

Just wondering if anybody can suggest a decent program for me.

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming windows here, CUTE FTP is excellent if especially if you are maintaining websites, it's got a built in html editor and it's got functions for automatically mirroring folders between local and remote. I think I'm really talking about the Pro version btw. I really like the interface as well, it's shareware so you can try it before you buy it. I think the site is actually www.globalscape.com
Probably anything else and you might be as well off finding a freeware one though someone may speak up and provide better recommendations though. I've also used Voyager FTP by rhinosoft, which is ok, but I much prefer CUTE FTP pro for website stuff. WS_FTP is either free or share ware but the last time I looked at it, it was pretty bare bones stuff.

Greta

Flashaholic
I use WS-FTP Pro... I paid for it... it ain't bare-bones... Don't know where CPF would be without it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cute FTP used to be considered spyware, not sure if it still is. Might worth looking into, for those that care about such things.

Mike

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smart ftp is completely free for home and education purposes and as far as i can tell, it's well as powerfull and rich in features as cute ftp. Give it a try before paying anything.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the prompt replies!

Will try WS-FTP again I think, that's what I used to use way back in the 20th century.

Will be installed on the two machines in here (main PC and the laptop), running WinXP on the desktop, and 98SE on the laptop.

The server I'm trying to connect to requires that SSL is enabled to allow a connection by the way, if that makes any difference. I don't really understand how such things work, just quoting the instructions on the admin page!

Thanks!

JanCPF

Enlightened
CuteFTP contains spyware - don't use it. If you want an excellent file utility with a build in FTP client, take a look at Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/ . It has got loads of features and even a synchronize function that also work with the FTP. You can try it out for free, but the program isn't free though.

Jan