Looking for Someone To Compare the Fenix E30R with the LD30

HarveyRich

Enlightened
It has been quite some time since I've been on Candlepower Forums, but it's time to purchase a flashlight or two. I received an email from the Fenix Store with the two above flashlights. Both throw out 1600 lumens in a compact size. But only one seems to tailstand (or is it just the picture). One seems to have a more floody beam than the other and I can't tell if the Turbo mode only lasts for 3 or so minutes and then down powers. Can anyone shed some light on these two lights?

Taz80

Enlightened
The LD30 has a tailcap on/off switch and a front mode switch, it will not tail stand. The E30R has a front electronic switch and is rechargeable, it looks like it will tail stand. Both lights have the same emitter and specs. for throw and modes. According to the specs if the light is in turbo and the lights temperature rises above 55c within 5 minutes it will step down to 800 lumens, otherwise it will step down about 30 lumens every 6 seconds until about 400 lumens or the lights temp drops below 55c. Then it will start to go back up at 30 lumens every 6 seconds. I picked up the LD30 a few days ago for a work edc, it looks like it will fill the roll nicely. My only complaint is the greenish tint, which I don't really notice that much unless I compare it to some of my other lights. I picked the LD30 because I rather not have the rechargeable feature and I liked the clip better.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Great. One more question. They both have the same emitter, but I'm wondering if one or both has a hot spot and flood area or are both just floody with not much of a hot spot. I really prefer to have a distinct hot spot, but a wide enough one. They both have a throw about the same, making me think they're both about the same. Thanks.

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I haven't used the E30R, but I've owned the LD30 for a month or so, and can give you some quick feedback on that one.

I did notice the slight greenish tint, as mentioned above. It's not bad enough to worry about, but it's there, compared to my several other Fenix lights.

Definitely doesn't tail stand, but I'd much rather have the tail switch, than not.

The dual use clip is great. You can clip it on a hat, and since it won't tail stand, you can clip it to a box or something if you wanna use it with a diffuser pointing up. My Fenix E16, another new model, has the same style clip, and it's great.

The beam is a little floodier than other Fenix lights I have that take the same battery, but there definitely is a good hot spot, and it gets real bright.

I do like the size of the LD30, as it's not much bigger than the battery it takes. I've been carrying it every day in a front pocket, clipped, and it's practically un-noticeable. The similar older PD35Tac, one of Fenixes best selling lights, is around a full inch longer than the LD30, and over an ounce heavier, approx 3 oz. compared to 2, so I tend not to edc the 35Tac due to size, although the beam is one of my favs. The new technology Fenix has been using on the heads / lenses is really reducing the size.

Being small, the light does make some heat on turbo at 1600L, so the step down feature is good. I don't usually use my lights on turbo for extended periods. On the LD30, high at 800L is almost as bright as turbo at 1600. It's good to have, but to me it's just using up the battery and making too much heat to use turbo for long periods with small lights.

Hopefully some of that will help you with your decision. The LD30 is definitely a thumbs up on my end. I don't care much about lights being rechargeable through a usb port, as I have chargers for the 18650. Also, Fenix has some cold resistant 18650 cells, if that applies to you. I got two to try this winter for vehicle lights.

Good luck.

1996alnl2

Newly Enlightened
Interesting little light. Fenix quality and reliability is top notch, I still use some that are over 10 years old. I seem to buy a Fenix every 4 years or so., think I'm due for a new one. This one or the E30 might fit in nicely. Some beam shots would be appreciated. Hint hint.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone read my posting from a few hours ago -- sorry, it was about the E03R, not the E30R. So I've deleted what it said.

c_c

Last edited:

prof student

Enlightened
Being small, the light does make some heat on turbo at 1600L, so the step down feature is good. I don't usually use my lights on turbo for extended periods. On the LD30, high at 800L is almost as bright as turbo at 1600. It's good to have, but to me it's just using up the battery and making too much heat to use turbo for long periods with small lights.

Are you saying that it generates a lot of heat on high & turbo?

Have you run it on high for any extended period(s) of time? If so, how did it act/feel?