EagTac SX30L2R Flashlight Issue - Need Help

Kaf23211

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone. I'm new here from reddit and I've been having an issue with one of my flashlights, the EagTac SX30L2R. This is basically a copy/paste from my reddit post but let me know if I'm doing something wrong or this needs to go somewhere else.

First I got one on eBay and it was basically a dud when I got it - wouldn't turn on. Sent it back because it was within the 30 days I could return and got a second one. This one was better, but had issues with the LED only having 3/4ths turn on.

NOW, I'm having issues with the light making connection and turning on at all. I've been in contact with EagTac for the past few months and even sent them the light 6 weeks ago. They were sure that it had something to do with the LED module so I only sent that back. They said the solder joint was too high and easily causes a short. Well, 6 weeks later, today, I got the module back and it still is not working like it should.

Basically it all comes down to not being anything to do with the LED module or even connection of the battery on the top end.

If I want the flashlight to make connection and turn on when I press the on button, all I have to do is press the very bottom of the handle up with my thumb and it will turn on, until I let go of the pressure. It is important to note that pulling/pushing the top module of the light into the "shaft" or handle of the light does NOT help and therefore I feel like it is making a good connection.

I really would like this light to work so Ididn't waste $160. There is a spring in the bottom of the shaft that the battery sits on and the spring is seated into the very bottom

If anyone has ANY ideas or wants to help, please let me know. I am at a loss and I feel like EagTac isn't going to do anything else to help me.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but I don't see an SX30L2-R that has a handle, just a tube style flashlight with dual side switches. Now before you get upset with me, I'm not trying to be pedantic for no reason, but your description of what you are doing sounds like you may be pressing the head and switch of the flashlight so as to be exerting pressure on one side of it. To me, I would see this as a sign that the connection surface of the battery tube and the head of the light are not mating up flush or there is fouling of some kind within. Possibly even some grit produced from removing the head is sitting in the threads and preventing it from screwing into place and making electrical contact, you adding just enough pressure to do so.

I do not own this light but I do own an Eagtac PD20 and know how finicky it is about the head making contact with the battery tube. If any lube managed to make it up past the lower threads of the head, it would always seem to bring dust or grit of some type with it and foul the contact over time, preventing the light from coming on at all. I learned to simply keep my use of lube very minimal to prevent the creep. I still check it occasionally to keep the contact surfaces clean.

I would recommend that you disassemble the light as far as you can and clean all contact areas and threads before putting them back together. Some may think it excessive to have to perform such maintenance just to get a light to turn on. I don't. Maybe the actual problem was that they forgot to check if it worked before sending it back or they did and it worked for them.

Kaf23211

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, but I don't see an SX30L2-R that has a handle, just a tube style flashlight with dual side switches. Now before you get upset with me, I'm not trying to be pedantic for no reason, but your description of what you are doing sounds like you may be pressing the head and switch of the flashlight so as to be exerting pressure on one side of it. To me, I would see this as a sign that the connection surface of the battery tube and the head of the light are not mating up flush or there is fouling of some kind within. Possibly even some grit produced from removing the head is sitting in the threads and preventing it from screwing into place and making electrical contact, you adding just enough pressure to do so.

I do not own this light but I do own an Eagtac PD20 and know how finicky it is about the head making contact with the battery tube. If any lube managed to make it up past the lower threads of the head, it would always seem to bring dust or grit of some type with it and foul the contact over time, preventing the light from coming on at all. I learned to simply keep my use of lube very minimal to prevent the creep. I still check it occasionally to keep the contact surfaces clean.

I would recommend that you disassemble the light as far as you can and clean all contact areas and threads before putting them back together. Some may think it excessive to have to perform such maintenance just to get a light to turn on. I don't. Maybe the actual problem was that they forgot to check if it worked before sending it back or they did and it worked for them.

My bad. I meant that when I hold the tube, not handle, at the very bottom and apply pressure to the bottom of the tube, it turns on. When I let go, it turns off. Pushing the head into the tube does not have an impact on the light. When I apply pressure to the base of the tube and basically push the base up into the rest of the tube, it turns on. The tube does not break apart further down which is why I'm confused.

Here is a short video that shows it. To note: there is no tailcap switch, it is more or less just flat at the bottom.

https://imgur.com/a/m6GI8kJ

Let me know if there are any questions or something I can clarify

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
KAF23211 if you don't mind can you post some pics and or a video of the light in it's disassembled state? I owned an Eagletac SX25L2 and it came apart in several places, all of which were crucial to be kept clean or it would act weird.