An early snow storm

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
We've had an unusually early snow storm here in Southern Manitoba - three days ago I was mowing my lawn, today I had to use the snow thrower.

Thursday night I was responding to an e-mail from a friend who was having intermittent power failures at her rural home. I was just about to send her a message saying that's one of the things I don't miss after moving to the city...when our power went out! So, that was a reminder to me to stay humble. The best part of that co-incidence was that I was already wearing my Nova H2R headlamp in preparation for some bench electronics work. I was so surprised at the power going off, it took me a long time to remember that I had a headlamp on already! Thankfully, a few seconds after I turned on my lamp, the AC power came back up. My rural friend was not so lucky, she had power out for two nights.

We're in the middle of an election here and the advanced polls opened Friday - my better half is working for the elections authority and said that one advanced poll in a school had to close early last night because of a power outage. Now, if I'd been working that poll, I could easily have brought enough portable lighting to keep it going for the rest of the night.

With any luck, it will be +8 on Wednesday and this snow will melt. I don't want to see it back before Christmas. And, really, a brown Christmas wouldn't be so bad.

Stock up on batteries and lamps...it's going to be a long winter.

Bill

archimedes

Flashaholic
OP, would you mind if we moved this to Adventure / Questing, so your thread can be used to chat more generally about "weather preps ?

Sos24

Enlightened
We don't usually have to worry about snow storms, but hurricanes and nor'easters can and have taken the power out. I always have spare batteries, as well as, a solar battery pack/chargers and solar lantern.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have family in Winnipeg, some of their power was out yesterday. Their snow tires went on today.

Unfortunately they usually visit this time of year - but due to job issues they couldn't make it - cool but beautiful in Southern Ohio (my dogs are enjoying the back yard).

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
OP, would you mind if we moved this to Adventure / Questing, so your thread can be used to chat more generally about "weather preps ?

Sure, move as appropriate!

Today (Monday) we're still cleaning up - many rural customers (20,000+ ) still have no electricity. Lots of lines down. It's only relatively mild, around freezing - would not want to be in a house that's had no power for days. Lighting would be the least of my worries, then.

Bill