Wuben        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fireflies ROT66vn V2 - Popcan Auxiliary

Default Fireflies ROT66vn V2 - Popcan Auxiliary

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Glenn, that seems to be very respectable performance from the stock 66 gen2 W2. Looking at the 100m zoomed set of pictures, it appears that the D18vn still has the lumen advantage with a lot of light on the street as well. That's a really unique comparison and thanks for taking the time to post those! Aside from the fact that one light is V54, do you have a favorite?
    Hard to pick which I like better, D18 has more throw appearing brighter from glare/bounce back off surfaces and moisture/dust with a colder tint. D18 gets hotter quicker, the pretty aux lights are nice on rot66 - Vinh would know how good internals are compared to the D18. Rott66 feels really solid and compact having 7075 alu and ss tail and bezel and a smaller head, it also has a nice switch, easier to find than D18.
    I did some bounce tests with my meter and rott66 is brighter by just a bit.
    Last edited by Glenn7; 10-16-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Default Re: Fireflies ROT66vn V2 - Popcan Auxiliary

Got back from my vacation and gonna chime in on the ROT66v2 that was awaiting me.

I am the biggest ROT66v1 fan ever. I had bought 4-5 over time, experimenting with different emitter options. I eventually settled on SST20 4000k + Lee Zircon 804 filter. It's my workhorse sodacan light that I use for hiking/night walking and ceiling bounce.

First impressions of the generation2 ROT66. It definitely feels heavier, and the added texture on the tube offers more grip-- feels like a grenade. The tube has way thicker walls since there's no battery carrier. The v2 is not much shorter than v1. In fact I'd say it's same size, with only difference being the taller SS bezel on v1. Not sure if I prefer the smoothness of the handle on v1 or the ruggedness of v2 yet. The heatsink portion of the light doesn't seem to be larger, but the fins are deeper. Hopefully the added bulk in the handle makes good contact with the emitters so some of the heat can flow down there.

The v2 has a side-switch that protrudes from the body, making it easier to find in dark. However, the side-switch button is not illuminated. That's a big minus for me compared to V2. I'm also not the biggest fan of the font style for the ROT66 name on its body compared to V1. I liked V1's smaller, sleeker font. In dark I know this is a non-factor, but it still gets to me.

My VTC6s rattle in V2, they do not in V1. That is a big minus for me. This rattling does not affect electrical contact, however it is very sensitive to being placed down on hard surfaces compared to V1. The light will flicker momentarily, but will still stay on. V1 will sometimes shut off if jarred too hard.

Aux leds are siginificantly brighter on V2 than V1. That's a plus in my book, because now you get the opportunity to adjust aux led brightness through anduril ui, to make it dimmer if you want.

Beam pattern between V2 and V1 (both running SST20 4000k leds) is more different than I thought it would be. V1 had a spotlight effect with a large, filled hotspot and soft corona leading to a dim spill, which I quite liked. V2 has a way smaller hotspot, followed by brighter, wider and more usable spill compared to V1. I think it's definitely the more usable beam, but I might prefer the larger, flatter hotspot of V1. I made a quick graphic to help illustrate the difference:

The 12 emitters vs 9 in the same amount of head is welcome. There's more efficient use of space there, and more available power plus higher sustained output. Always welcome.

Overall I think it's an improvement, but not a home run. I would like to see springs on both sides of batteries for a tighter connection. I might even try playing with longer batteries to see if that helps. I would have really liked to see aux lighting on the side-switch for super ease of locating in the dark. A lot of the things that drive me to the ROT66 are still here: stainless steel bezel AND tailcap: 7075 aluminum, 3x18650 form factor, and aux lights. I could care less about the Osram version as I enjoy the CRI and tint for a workhorse light, but I am now intrigued by the D18 a little.

Edit: I am now trying out the beaded optics, lanyard screw in, holster, and diffuser. The holster doesn't seem to be anything special, but looks serviceable. The ROT66 fits snuggly into it. The v1 didn't have a holster so this is a good upgrade.

The lanyard attachment is awkward because it juts out where I would normally place my index finger. It's not the most ergonomic, but I do quite like the new stainless steel plug that the lanyard screws in to. It looks nice when it fills the awkward hole that the V1 had if you never put the lanyard on.

The diffuser doesn't stay on the head of the ROT66, and just falls right off unless you're tailstanding for use as a lantern. Besides that one scenario it's totally useless-- which is okay to me, because really I only see it being used as a lantern replacement.

The beaded optics are nice-- really nice. Huuuge smooth and filled hotspot, with not much output wasted in spill, like you would see with frosted lenses over reflectors. The tint of the SST20 mixes very nicely with the beaded optics as well. In throw optics, the SST20 has a slightly warmer and greener hotspot compared to cooler and more rosy spill. This effect is very, very subtle, but with the beaded optics, you get an amazing tint that's cooler and more rosy overall. It's very nice.
    Last edited by twistedraven; 10-16-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Wow, thank you so much for your observations raven! Great info for anyone considering a purchase!!

Thank you for the review and comparison. They really did mess up by taking away the lighted switch.

Glenn, thanks for your thoughts on this light and the mention of lumen output.

Raven, it's really helpful to hear from someone like yourself that has such a history with this light. Is seems that the improvements probably outweigh any negatives but it's understandable why you mentioned those negatives. Getting away from a carrier can actually have some downsides that aren't easily apparent until you spend some time with the light.

I have no battery rattle in mine using Vinhís Murata VTC5D solder blob batteries.
    The lanyard attachment is a little strange yes but I donít use lanyards anyway but on the V2 now has the right thread for tripod/clamp mounting which I like unlike V1 had some weird small thread that only fits the lanyard attachment.
    To me button is fine as I donít really look for it as much as I go by feel as it sticks out and the light has only 4 sides being square, and because you push the button with your thumb, your pointer finger is on the opposite side to feel as well making it that there is only 2 ways the button can be - so if you miss the button when you pick it up just a quarter turn puts the button in the right position wether you use your pointer finger or thumb to activate it (if you can get your mind around using ether finger) I find the button quicker to find than the D18 (which isnít lit ether) just seem to turn and turn in the dark to find it - rot V1 button takes longer to find as itís harder to feel it being flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    To me button is fine as I donít really look for it as much as I go by feel as it sticks out and the light has only 4 sides being square, and because you push the button with your thumb, your pointer finger is on the opposite side to feel as well making it that there is only 2 ways the button can be - so if you miss the button when you pick it up just a quarter turn puts the button in the right position wether you use your pointer finger or thumb to activate it (if you can get your mind around using ether finger) I find the button quicker to find than the D18 (which isnít lit ether) just seem to turn and turn in the dark to find it
    This makes perfect sense and I can also relate to the turning and turning of the D18 in the dark... haha.

Just chiming back in that I've decided I greatly prefer the grippier battery tube of the v2 compared to v1. Very much reminds me of an mk2 grenade.

And yes, the side button is very easy to locate.

I will try some samsung 30q to see if they fit more snugly with no rattle.

I've been looking for a good flashlight to use on my evening walks with my dog. Need one that has easy thumb access to the power button, and fits well in hand. This looks like it checks those boxes or is there something else you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Razer View Post
    I've been looking for a good flashlight to use on my evening walks with my dog. Need one that has easy thumb access to the power button, and fits well in hand. This looks like it checks those boxes or is there something else you would recommend?
    There are better pop cans but cant beat this one for the money. If u want gen 1 I have a couple for $55.
    Last edited by vinhnguyen54; 10-19-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Hard to think of anything that does what the ROT66v2 does but better. There are different sodacan lights out there, but they do different things.

For my personal preferences I like the smaller, more compact form factor of the 3x18650 lights, so I would gravitate towards either ROT66v2 or D18 for nightwalking. D18 for higher potential output, higher sustainable output, and slightly wider head. ROT66v2 for the aux leds, 7075 aluminum, and stainless steel tailcap.

Vinh, Raven and Glenn, you're really making me want a Gen2 now. I wasn't a huge fan of the Gen1 and gave it to my Nephew. He loves it but it just didn't appeal to me. So far, there's nothing about the Gen2 that I don't like the idea of. I might have to order one of these.

Vinh, Raven and Glenn, you're really making me want a Gen2 now. I wasn't a huge fan of the Gen1 and gave it to my Nephew. He loves it but it just didn't appeal to me. So far, there's nothing about the Gen2 that I don't like the idea of. I might have to order one of these.
    There is no better pop can for $135. And if there is you can return it haha :-)
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

What about gen 1 didn't you like maybe I can help you decide if you'll like gen 2.

Does the Gen II have the same physical dimensions of Gen I?

Quote Originally Posted by Razer View Post
    Does the Gen II have the same physical dimensions of Gen I?
    Very much the same size. It's a couple mm shorter.

They said ff update the carrier. Any photo?

FF's did away with the carrier altogether but the world governments are keeping pictures of this fact, a very tight secret. I couldn't find a single picture of this light's battery compartment in any of the expected areas. Nothing from the manufacturer's website, BLF, BG, Youtube... nothing. It somehow feels magically impossible for this to be the case, especially because it's an update from the old.

I'll get a photo tomorrow morning.

That's great! Thanks Raven!

Here is a macro shot looking down from the top of the tube opening. Compared to gen1 rot66, gen 2 has much thicker walls where there would otherwise be air gaps from where the batteries don't fill. About a third of the way down from the top, the thick walls get even thicker and jut out, to hold the three batteries in place securely.

Being that it is a macro shot and taken with a very sharp lens, ignore most of the imperfections you see on the surface of the aluminum. You'd be hard-pressed to see those on reality. The only thing I could see in person was the slight rough edge on the top of the parts of the wall that stick way out. Has no effect on performance.

In other news, I solved most of my battery rattling issue by just sticking a piece of electrical tape to two of the three batteries, so it wasn't a height issue, rather a diameter issue. I had to do the same thing for my beloved Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI when I got it.

Raven, thanks for that. You've just made internet history on the ROT66 Gen2, being the first to post an interior picture. ...haha. The inside looks nice and it doesn't have any terrible flaws.

I saw that you had asked me what I didn't like about the Gen1. Although there were a few minor gripes, if I'm honest, it probably had more to do with my mindset at the time as much as anything else. I've been a fan of the 4 cell format for a really long time now and sometimes it's hard to see the advantages of different designs. A local flashaholic friend and I purchased our lights at the same time and I gave him first pick depending on light box readings. I wasn't very impressed with the output on either sample and mine had some ano issues... flakes/chips around the perimeter of the switch and a couple of less obvious places. A week or so later, my friend's light had two or three LEDs stop working. I don't even remember if it got resolved or if he modded it. In any case, I wasn't in love with it and my Nephew usually gets my nicer hand-me-downs for B-days, Christmas, graduation and such. He loves it, of course and told me how a read all about them on the forums.

I should consider myself lucky. Between all the different ROT66s and E07s I bought-- I think 9 in total now-- none I received had any flaws.

I do know Fireflies has had some bumps along the road as a starting company, and I have read plenty of stories about other people's Fireflies lemons, but I'm glad I'm not one of them. I would probably not be such a huge Fireflies fan if I did get a couple subpar lights.

Raven, I'm glad that you've had such of run of great products from FFs. I've also received four flawless FFs products, two of them from Vinh. I think they're a very good manufacturer and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of their products. A Gen2 version might be in my future but I've still got my eye on a FW3T ti/cu W2 that I've wanted for some time but I wanted to support the SLN project and so I placed it on the back burner. Also, I sure like that D4Svn V2 Super at the moment. So, the ROT66 will either be 2nd or 3rd if I get one.
    Last edited by Patriot; 10-23-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Th558 View Post
    Cancelled my order..how can they possible think it's ok to write 18000 lumens on a 9500 lumen light??? even if it was 11000 i'd still be dissapointed. I was expecting about at least 15k when i ordered. Even the throw numbers are way off. Usually your candela numbers are a bit exaggerated but here they're the other way around.
    Strange, Fireflies are usually spot on with their turn on figures.
    MS18, X70, MS12, X80-GT, DX80, X45vn, k75, D18, MF01S, D4SV2 - My Lumen whore Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/c/FLASHAHOLICS_GB

Fireflies normally send their lights to third party testing lab. However, with the ROT66v2, they just estimated 12 * 1,500 lumens. Fireflies said on the other forum that they will send it in for testing after Vinh's output measurements came out.

Of note, the W2 sourced by Fireflies is one flux bin higher than what is sold at L4P.

Yes, I understand why some people are disappointed but I figured those lumen specs probably weren't deceptively advertised. More of an oversight it seems. I never, ever rely on a manufacturer's specs to be accurate, at least where flux and throw are concerned because when I do OTF measurements they're usually less. Although I don't yet own one, I'm quite happy about the actual output figures because it's a nice increase from the Gen1 light.

edit spelling
    Last edited by Patriot; 10-25-2019 at 12:40 AM.

What matters is...

Turn On Performance: 9000L, 100kcd, 633m

Thats pretty killer for $135 (With Sky Lumen Warranty!!!)

We have been too spoil as of late that these numbers doesn't create a stir anymore...
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    What matters is...

Turn On Performance: 9000L, 100kcd, 633m

And all from a 50mm head and a great, heat sinking body, now. It makes the D18 head seem large by comparison.

I like how in Vinh's latest email he says he didn't like the ROT66 gen1 but likes the ROT66 gen2, although the gen1 got an R from him while gen2 didn't get an R.

I guess that's because when gen1 hit the market, it didn't have the D18 to contend with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast