4 bay charger for Tenergy D cell batteries?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an EBL 4-bay NiMH charger that does D cells. I have Tenergy Centura D cells on the way, but haven't received them so don't know how well they work together yet; I'll let you know in about a week.

Welcome to CPF!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking for a good 4 bay charger for NiMH D's a while back, ended up getting a couple of xtar SV-2 2 bay chargers instead. I wanted a 2 Amp charge rate for Tenergy and Soshine D's and I was having a hard time finding a good charger that could maintain 2 Amps for 4 cells (some reduce the charge rate when charging 3 or 4 cells).

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How happy are you with them? Do they maintain the amperage they claim?

They maintain 2 Amps, no problem. The cells charge up fairly quickly without getting hot or missing terminations.

I wanted 2 Amps for the D cells because a 1 Amp charger I had was taking forever (though 1 Amp is fine for NiMH C cells). I got the first Rocket and it worked well. I was going to get a xtar dragon, which is a 4 bay charger but only charges 2 cells at the full 2 Amps to go with it (and I still may) but xtar is said to be coming out with new version of the dragon, so instead I got a second rocket which unfortunately turned out to be defective and the springs broke off inside the charger when I went to use it – luckily I got it from Illumin and they sent me a new one that works great (it is always nice to deal with a reputable company that takes care of their customers!).

The only other issue I have had with the SV2 rockets is that D cells can pop out of contact if the charger gets jostled during charging, so I use a rubber band to hold them in place – not a big deal but I thought I would mention it.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the owner insight, guys.

I have an xtar VC4 that I bought for the charging amps but mine is a piece of junk, and I hear that I'm not alone in that experience. It's a great point to buy from a seller that will take care of you, xxo.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i tried several smart chargers with tenergy D, blue wrap and premium, a also tried hobby charger, charging a series circuit, for some reason all would terminate the charge too early, while working just fine on any other nimh and nicd sells, something about tenergy D cells, so i ended up using dumb cc,cv adapter and time it, this is the only way i got tenergy D cells charged fully