Are All CR2032 Batteries Created Equally?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 2014 RAM 1500 with remote start. The battery for the remote start key seems like it could be replaced. It is a CR2032. Are all CR2032 batteries created equally? Do I just go to a Dollar Store or Wal-Mart and buy whatever I can find? I did find this article on-line? Is it accurate from what you know?

If I decide to go with Duracell 3V Lithium Coin 2032 batteries, does it matter where I buy them from? Should I be concerned with any sort of date codes on the packaging?

https://thedearlab.com/cr2032-batteries/

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
a name brand and fresher is always better.
i can show you brand new nonames that read 3.2v but wont do anything in a device because their i.r is through the roof.
as in over 99 ohms esr.
a energizer i recently tested was 1.3 ohms esr.
that one works fine in the led controller remote.
the high esr ones do nothing even with voltage that lead you to believe they are good.
btw take that review site with a grain of salt.
its only reason to exist is to get referral commissions from amazon.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Button cells are especially prone to poor quality and performance, unless obtained fresh directly from authorized distribution sources, in my experience

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Button cells are especially prone to poor quality and performance, unless obtained fresh directly from authorized distribution sources, in my experience

bingo!
ebay,amazon,ect are full of counterfeits.
major brick and mortar much safer.

jzchen

Enlightened
I feel some last longer than others, similar to what others are posting. My OLD laptop had an issue where the date and time was always off when I woke it from sleep or turned it on. I opened up one panel and found the 2016 CMOS battery shrink wrapped in bright yellow plastic. I pried off the leads with an Exacto knife then used electrical tape to mimic this with a 2032 I got from IKEA. I somehow trust buying from a reputable store also as mentioned. Hopefully lasts even longer...