Anyone know about MAH listed on packages "Duraloops"?

nitebrite

Enlightened
All the current Duracell, Eneloop re-wraps state on the package exactly 100MAH less than their Eneloop counterparts. However, after cycling they do charge to roughly the same MAH as any given Eneloop of the same size.
I was wondering if anyone knows why Duracell rates them lower? This does not seem like a good selling point to me. What the heck do I know though?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Speculating here, but two possibilities occur to me:

• Duracell uses a different testing regimen to determine mAh, thus a lower (more conservative) rating that's perhaps a bit more reflective of real-world conditions
  • The agreement with Panasonic (or is it FDK now?) mandates derating so as to make Duraloops slightly less appealing

nitebrite

Enlightened
I believe I have figured this out myself. Duracell is just more conservative in their ratings. They in fact use he exact number of Eneloop's "minimum" MAH rating. However both of these batteries charge to about 120-160 MAH beyond their maximum specified ratings. Obviously, if you have a source for the "Duraloops" at a very low price you cannot possibly do better for AA or AAA NIMH batteries IMO. It all depends what your price is really. It is pretty obvious what they are due to their capacity, and who is making AA and AAA NIMH in Japan today? Often for less than the price of say, made in China Energizer, Rayovac or what have you it would be a no brainer IMO. Assuming you pay for them as little as I did(good until 2030) I do not see a better option out there. Perhaps better batteries.
At multiples of the price. Good enough for me. At least I thought about it this time and did not throw away my $5 again. I should have tracked these down in the first place.
Please consider my question here resolved. By myself. Any further comments are welcome however, of course. Although I do not check in here very often :)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Duracell Ion Cores are rebranded Eneloop Pros and are great if you can find a deal on them. Before the Ion cores came out, Duracell used to sell rewrapped standard capacity Japanese Eneloops with white tops, but now they only carry the high caps.

BTW the Duracell chargers are usually not good – better to go with one of the Eneloop/Panasonic smart chargers like the BQ CC-17.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I know the Iron core are Eneloop Pro Re-Wraps. However the brand new 2020 models that came out last week have different packaging yet again. Rest assured, they are still Eneloop Pro's. I will post a picture of them below. I lucked out and got a 4 pack of AAA's for under $7 plus under 70 cents sales tax in rural Wisconsin. That, is obviously a good deal. The (perhaps not so)interesting thing is the PowerX are rated higher capacity. Once the Duraloops cycle and charge the first time, they hold more MAH than the PowerX. Go figure. Inflated claims Vs. conservative ones. The Japanese tend to be modest. Even though Duracell is an American company I imagine Panasonic had some say in the matter. I actually use much better chargers than both of those. "Hobby" grade chargers. Plus the La Crosse. I enjoyed seeing those PowerX I cooked plummet on discharge The others may be pretty good still Since I caught them pretty early. Although I do not really care to mess with PowrerX when I can obtain Duraloops for a song. Plus I hardly need very many of these very often. Especially the way they last in low drain devices. They just received a 48 hour Cryo treatment at -200C. That should help regain their longevity quite a bit. The last ones lasting over 11 years is plenty good enough for my expectations though.

Oh, I cannot post attachments. Here is what the new ones look like and notice the price as well. Where the income level is below poverty they are going to have to adjust the prices I guess. AFAIK the brand new batteries were not on clearance:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XSG300/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Actually, now I have seen packages of them online with 850,900 an 950MAH respectively printed on the back. May be market specific. I have no clue about that, but seems like a good guess to me. They are all the same and al of mine that are "rated" to be 850MAH each charged to over 1000MAH. Even at $10.45 with free same day delivery(Prime members) and no tax most likely it is a better deal than Eneloops. Especially, now that people are recently reporting failures here as of late.