Why only some flashlights (3-AAA) casing turn on with 18650 battery?

SamuelJerome

Newly Enlightened
I have a bunch of old flashlights that use 3-AAA battery compartment. Not all turns on with the 18650 battery. Can someone explain the reasoning?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is really going to depend on the light and what's inside of it. Could you give any more information on the lights you are having the issue with?

If I had to randomly guess I might say something isn't making proper contact in the ones that won't work.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a few that work on 18500's. 18650's are too long.

If you look at how contacts occur at both ends of the battery carrier you may notice the light may not make contacts at the same location(s) on the 18650 as it does on the battery carrier, which would explain why they don't light up.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have many different 3AAA battery carriers and some are designed for headlamps others for flashlights. Flashlights that have a tail switch the carries has contacts on both ends, lights with side switches typically have both contacts on the top end so an 18650 won't work at all.
Most 3AAA lights won't fit an 18650 due to the length and unless the light has some sort of circuitry to regulate/reduce the voltage an 18650 as also 3AAA nimh can fry the LED(s) in the light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It could also be contact issues on flat top 18650 cells as the top of most 3AAA carriers have a raised contact of some sort.