Bright headlamp that uses 2x 18650

tesk

Newly Enlightened
Hello, first poster here :wave:
I just bought the Nitecore HC65 and is super excited to put it to use. I plan to use it for long days hunting and camping. I have a couple of old Olights and Black Diamonds (4x AAA batteries) headlamps in the 3-400 lumen range but now I want to move over to 18650 for more power

I also do a lot of backcountry skiing. I would like something brighter than the HC65 when going down fast after sunset. A superbright headlamp would be a safety asset during hunting if I need to track injured game after dark

What would make a good addition to HC65? A bright 18650 based headlight for when I need an extra-long throw
Is Fenix HP30R a good option or does it not throw longer than the HC65?

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
Hello, first poster here :wave:
I just bought the Nitecore HC65 and is super excited to put it to use. I plan to use it for long days hunting and camping. I have a couple of old Olights and Black Diamonds (4x AAA batteries) headlamps in the 3-400 lumen range but now I want to move over to 18650 for more power

i have both headlamps,, be aware neither will stay at turbo mode or high lumens long, the heat will cause them to lower their output quickly think less then 10 minutes on full turbo modes, the hp30r in spotlight mode will outshine the hc65, but i don't think the difference is worth it if you bough the hc65 already, your going to need a handheld if you want high lumens with no thermal regulation, also both lights need better then 80% charge to even go into turbo mode.

just watch the runtime charts you will see the kickdowns

no headlamp without active cooling is going to run at 1k lumens without a heating problem. these were also my first 18650 lamps, the ramp down annoyed me, but i understand it on turbo mode. that said i had to pick up a set of 3600 batterys for the hp30r, i was running the 2300's dry in a day.
I also do a lot of backcountry skiing. I would like something brighter than the HC65 when going down fast after sunset. A superbright headlamp would be a safety asset during hunting if I need to track injured game after dark

What would make a good addition to HC65? A bright 18650 based headlight for when I need an extra-long throw
Is Fenix HP30R a good option or does it not throw longer than the HC65?

i have both headlamps,, be aware neither will stay at turbo mode or high lumens long, the heat will cause them to lower their output quickly think less then 10 minutes on full turbo modes, the hp30r in spotlight mode will outshine the hc65, but i don't think the difference is worth it if you bough the hc65 already, your going to need a handheld if you want high lumens with no thermal regulation, also both lights need better then 80% charge to even go into turbo mode.

just watch the runtime charts you will see the kickdowns

no headlamp without active cooling is going to run at 1k lumens without a heating problem. these were also my first 18650 lamps, the ramp down annoyed me, but i understand it on turbo mode. that said i had to pick up a set of 3600 batterys for the hp30r, i was running the 2300's dry in a day.

the positive of the hp30r is you can put the battery pack in your pocket, li ions don't like cold.

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
If you want a headlamp that can sustain 1000 lumens, it starts to get very expensive. Two brands to keep in mind are Lucifer and Lupine.
I would suggest you find a light that has a throwy LED such as XHP35 under smooth reflector. This will throw further with less lumens.

Lucifer lights:
http://luciferlights.net/led-headlamps/headlamp-L

Lupine:
https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/Blika_X_4_Hardcase3_5.asp

both of those lights indicate temperature protection and have roughly the same body mass, short of seeing a review that these lights will run at this lumen without a reduction, i remain unconvinced they will not thermally activate.

the lucifier specifically indicate the overheat protection will activate on high and boost modes with the lamp not moving.

NPL

Enlightened
Yeah, you are probably right. But the multiple emitter setup means the LEDs will be running at a more efficient level and thus emit less heat. The mid level on the Lucifer is 750 lumens and I bet I can sustain that without overheating and stepping down.

Also, given the use outdoors in Sub zero temps skiing, the light can possibly sustain the high mode. Body mass is only a temporary buffer to overheating, meanwhile venting is the key to good heat dissipation.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, you are probably right. But the multiple emitter setup means the LEDs will be running at a more efficient level and thus emit less heat. The mid level on the Lucifer is 750 lumens and I bet I can sustain that without overheating and stepping down.

Also, given the use outdoors in Sub zero temps skiing, the light can possibly sustain the high mode. Body mass is only a temporary buffer to overheating, meanwhile venting is the key to good heat dissipation.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

yes you are prolly right, it does indicate it has to be moving and 20c for it to run at the full 3200 lumens. and its not crazy priced. i have 130 into a fenix, and 40 in new battery's, if i needed more lumens i prolly would get the lucifer, it would be nice to see a review of it

fishesman

Newly Enlightened
I think for tracking game you don't necessarily need a super bright light. You mostly need something that lights the ground immediately in front of you well. The HC65 should work very well for this purpose. I love mine so far.