Rotary flashlight with tail button also?

Dmurphy2395

Newly Enlightened
Are there any rotary flashlights currently in production like an HDS rotary that also has a tail button?

Sos24

Enlightened
Nitecore makes the SRT-5 which is an 18650. Sunwayman made the V10R and V11R, but I do not know of they are still in production.

Dmurphy2395

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have an RRT-01 and no tailswitch. I find it turns on in my pocket frequently

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
NiteCore seems to be the only other rotary manufacturer as of late. It's a great interface, I'd love for others to pick up on it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
currently in production

dont know about in production

however there are still currently available infinitely variable magnetic ring lights
with buttons and rotary dials:

Nitecore SRT series,
Jetbeam RRT series (not the rrt-01)
Sunwayman V11r

My RRT-01 has never turned on in my pocket (I clip to my back pocket), but if it did, I could use mechanical lockout

bqi28SIl.jpg

YCTb9YPl.jpg

Last edited:

akula88

Enlightened
Nitecore has these recent models which uses tailcap on/off switch and rotary switch to ramp up brightness :
MT22C / EC22 /P26

Nitecore SRT (Smart Ring Tactical) series includes colored LEDs aside from the white brightness output.

What I don't understand with Nitecore's marketing strategy is their failure to have continuity on their product line's technology.
This was their direct competitor with the Sunwayman VR10R, but they did not follow through or update this design.
EcB1Mz7.jpg

Last edited:

Dmurphy2395

Newly Enlightened
You guys are a wealth of knowledge! I'll be looking for a nitecore product to try and more V11R. I never knew of the nitecore offerings.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A light that has a "rotary ring brightness selection" on the tailcap. I would not know any other light except the HDS Rotary. Surefire had something in the announcements some years ago. But like a lot of announced Surfire lights this light never comes.

If an rotary ring in front of the light is also ok to you there were in the past a lot lights having this functionality. The most important variants were stated here by other members. But today it is very difficult to find such rotary ring lights (or lights with selector ring). I think it is too expensive in production. Most manufacturers discontinued the selector ring lights a few years ago.

In my opinion the best Selector ring lights are the Surefire U2 and Surefire UM2. The Surefire U2 should be more or less easy to find here in CPF or i.e. eBay. The UM2 is a little bit more difficult, there are only 800 pieces made. Currently if you want a little bit more light the Surefire Dominator could be the choice, but it is >$1K. :naughty:

If you would like to have a smaller durable light with a rotary functionality the HDS rotary is the best choice if you ask me. They also offer sometimes versions with limited LEDs (i.e. HiCRI). I love my HDS lights and I use them really often.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
today it is very difficult to find such rotary ring lights (or lights with selector ring)

2019 Rrt-01 is currently in production

And im happy to share info by pm for Original rrt-01 souurce and V11r source.

I like them better than my HDS, because they have lower lows and higher highs than hds. Plus i prefer the smooth ramping more than the 24 hop hds steps.

Magnetic rotaries are also smaller, less heavy, and lower cost, plus the jetbeams are 18350 capable.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
2019 Rrt-01 is currently in production
But the RRT01 has no tail button. Therefore I did named this light. At all the max. Output is more like a dragster... Very high output for a very low time. The latest V10R-Ti lights had an output of ~500-600 lumens with a LiIon battery. The light was very fast really hot on highest output. An EDC must not be in that output range for me... But everyone has different preferences.

And im happy to share info by pm for Original rrt-01 souurce and V11r source.

The V11R is a very nice light. Unfortunately SWM also does not make any selector ring lights anymore. At all SWM did not make after the V10R/V11R interesting lights...
I am happy to have 3 or 4 V10R-Ti and I have a black and golden V10R Ti². I offen usw
one of my V10R-Ti lights as EDC, mostly the 1st Gen XP-G version with only ~340 lumens output.

I like them better than my HDS, because they have lower lows and higher highs than hds. Plus i prefer the smooth ramping more than the 24 hop hds steps.
The HDS is more versatile for my needs. I am one of the flashlight people that are happy with 200 lumens. I still use my old Surefire E1L Outdoorsman with total crazy 45 lumens often.

Magnetic rotaries are also smaller, less heavy, and lower cost, plus the jetbeams are 18350 capable.
That is all true. I'd love to see a 18350 tube @HDS.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
18350 and 2 x 18350 on a HDS would be sweet. Regarding the level jumps it doesn't bother me. Rotary switches are great and the smoothest I have seen/ have are HDS but I still prefer the older tubes with 2.5 lbs pressure on the switch, then there's the Surefire Dominator, and the Polarion. Really smooth also, just a little bit bigger 🧐

APGIllini

Newly Enlightened
I believe Blackhawk offered a 2AA light with tailcap activation and a rotary mode selector a few years ago, but I don't recall the model designation.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of my V10R-Ti lights as EDC, mostly the 1st Gen XP-G version

I am one of the flashlight people that are happy with 200 lumens.

I also EDC an original V 10r Ti w XPG but I have changed the LED to high CRI and the maximum output is 220 lm.

I am also perfectly happy with the 200 lm maximum, I still do not need it.

Absolutely correct that the 2019 RRT-01 does not have a tail switch. The fact it is capable of 600 low CRI lm briefly is of no interest to me, but it means that at 200 lm it is more efficient.

And I also change those to high CRI at which point I get about 350 lm which I also don't use.

Fwiw the V11r is still available and modded to High CRI it makes about 250 lumens max.

I don't use maximum on any of my flashlights for more than a few seconds.

I agree that my cr123 flashlights get too hot running above 200 lm

Most of my use is less than 100 lm.

I agree the HDS is a great light.

And I don't think that the 200 lm ceiling on the high CRI version is an issue or a concern.

Plus one can buy HDS already modified to high CRI. The V11r and RRT/01 have to be modified. they don't come from factory with High CRI.

For me it is less expensive to modify a V11r than to buy an HDS.

I respect everyone makes choices based on their own personal preferences and I have nothing bad to say about the HDS

I just like to compare other lights to it because the HDS gets so much respect and costs so much more money than magnetic rotaries.

I personally prefer to cary and use a V11r than an HDS rotary.

euro16v

Newly Enlightened
Check out the MF Tactical Pro Tango U2, it has a a rotary dial near the head of the light and a tail switch that you are looking for.

Pro-Tango-U2.3SMALL.jpg