Microtech OTF durability?

Dmurphy2395

Newly Enlightened
Are these knives durable enough for every day carry?
I don't want to drop a ton of money on a knife that will not be reliable and require tons of maintenance

nbp

Flashaholic
They are very well made. OTFs in general though don't like certain kinds of usage, such as food prep, where sticky goo gets inside the handle and can gum up the mechanism. That aside, they are reliable, in my experience.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these knives durable enough for every day carry?
I don't want to drop a ton of money on a knife that will not be reliable and require tons of maintenance

I have a few and folks actually use em for all sorts including food prep but whatever you use it for you need to wipe the blade down before securing it (retracting). It's a tool that's meant to be used but if abused can and likely will fail. The Scarabs (discontinued) were and still are famous for their use in the field. Think of them as the AR15 vs AK47 in the knife world.

There are some durability tests on the tube that show what a Microtech can handle and even some on the inner workings of you like pm me and I ll direct you ... can't send links here other than my own.

The OTF s also While needing occasional maintenance do not like just any oil you give them and they don't like too much. One of mine is a beard comb and I ve not touched it as far as maintaining for 4 months. The blades including that one get wiped down after each use and I don't "play" with it.

No problems.

Dmurphy2395

Newly Enlightened
Good info guys. Thanks. I'll be getting one in the next month or so. I'm sure it'll work good for me based on comments I've seen. Just wanted a little reassurance which you gave me.