TerraLUX Lightstar in 2-3 cell Mag Lite and Li Batteries

alnico357

Newly Enlightened
I'm not finding an answer to my question. Will the TerraLUX run on lithium batteries OK? Many thanks!

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
have you bought the terra lux yet? if so which one. there should have been a voltage range listed on the unit.

alnico357

Newly Enlightened
I've had the emitter several years. Since it works for three 1.5 volt C cells I'd hope two Li C cells would be OK.

fmc1

Enlightened
Energizer has a patent on primary lithium batteries in the US and they do not make them in C size. You could use AA to C adapters and run two of them with a dummy C cell or better yet three of them. If you are talking about lithium ion rechargeable batteries you would need a 26500 with 2 dummy C cells. Two 26500's would be 8.4V fully charged and probably be too much voltage for a bulb rated for three C's or 4.5V. A 14500 in a AA to C adapter with two dummy C cells would be another option. 14500's are way easier to find that 26500's and cheaper. Also a C cell is 25mm in diameter, a 26500 is 26mm in diameter so it might be a very tight fit depending on the battery wrap.

Frank

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 Li-Ion cell (assuming that is what you are asking about?) is equivalent to 3 alkaline or 3 NiMH cells in Voltage.....If your drop-in is rated for a 3 cells you should be OK, though you should use a protected cell. You will also need some sort of adapter to run the single Li-Ion cell. Multiple Li-Ion cells have too much Voltage and will likely damage your LED.

Last edited:

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
Find out from terra lux what the voltage range is. As xxo said one LI IOn rechargable battery is gonna be 4.2 volts. but the terra lux may have a wider range of voltage uses. if so then 2 Li Ion batts would give that a good kick on output.

alnico357

Newly Enlightened
Good info. I just wanted a C sized Li battery. I've had battery leakage problems. I'm not interested in rechargeables or conversions.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info. I just wanted a C sized Li battery. I've had battery leakage problems. I'm not interested in rechargeables or conversions.

Lithium primaries should be fine even though they have a little higher open Voltage, it drops down as soon as they are put under load. But I don't think they make lithium primary cells in C size - Energizer only offers ultimate lithiums in AA or AAA sizes. AA's are easy to run in C cell lights, adapters are available or you can make your own pretty easily, even out of rolled up news paper. I used to make adapters like that, now I 3D print them.

s2HbiGI.jpg

The top adapter is for a 18650 and the bottom for 3 AA's.