What is the best LED flashlight for your $

Mr. Flashlight

Newly Enlightened
No, not the most expensive.

No, not the most popular.

No, not the size.

No, not what exactly it's used for, more for "overall purpose" of use.

What do the forum members here feel are the very best LED flashlights for the money $ spent, regardless of price?

Last edited:

Zak

Enlightened
I believe this is a question without a valid answer. There are a lot of different users who have a lot of different criteria by which they judge lights, and what I like the most might be very ill-suited to how someone else wants to use a light.

To give an example, I consider good color rendering a necessity. I don't like using anything with a color rendering index under 90. I'll accept 80 in some cases, but anything under that just doesn't get used. Most flashlights don't even specify their CRI, and a lot of people say they can't really tell the difference or they don't find it important. To give another, I insist that my flashlights use rechargeable batteries of a standard size, but others don't mind proprietary batteries. I've even heard of some uncivilized people who prefer disposable batteries.

So while I'd look at a Zebralight SC64c LE and think it gets a whole lot of things right, someone else might find its output lacking compared to competitors, be disappointed that it doesn't have a charger built in, or think it's junk because they can't use disposable batteries sold at the nearest gas station in it.

Even among flashlights I own and use regularly, I wouldn't describe any as an objective "best" out of my collection. The one I enjoy carrying the most lately (a Lumintop FW3A with the LEDs replaced with Nichia 219Bs in sw45k tint, running a newer firmware version) is not the one I consider the most versatile (an Armytek Wizard Pro with the LED replaced with a Nichia 144A 4500K).

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
That's a broad question with lots of right answers, depending on a person's individual needs ... kinda like, what's the best car on earth for the money, or who has the best steaks for the money.

If you need a light, think of what your price range is, what you will use it for, and what features are most important to you, then be prepared to narrow down your choice from a large group of possibilities.

I have lots of lights, and certain favorites for different purposes, but I don't really know which one is the best "overall" value if I could only have one.

Lots of experts here who are up on the latest technology to help you decide.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will attempt to answer it with a modified question: "What is Str8stroke's most used light": It's a HDS Rotary, flush button.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I understand the question completely but cannot say one light is the best for my $ anymore than one screwdriver is best for my $. Yeah I have a go to screwdriver that's a universal type. But sometimes I need pliers……or a box cutter.

So my PKDL PR-1 is my universal screwdriver per sae, as it gets used most often. At $80 new it has been well worth the coin for nearly four years, since 2016. An incan minmag was my universal for over a decade until about 2015. I use other lights at times and find a SureFire G2x Pro a frequent go to for low output needs and a Fenix E01 when only low is needed.

Yesterday I pulled a jacket out of storage and found my universal from 015 until the PR-1 arrived. The Coast HP1 zoomie was certainly worth the $10 I paid for it.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
If only considering pure value for your money, price for performance, I'd vote Convoy. Just my humble opinion of course...but I'm with Str8...my most used and the only "if-could-only-have-one" light is an HDS Rotary. Still, they are expensive and probably won't get high marks in terms of bang for your buck.

scout24

Flashaholic
A P60 host of your choice. Solarforce on up to a full custom host. The most versatile platform in our hobby, bar none. In 30 seconds you can go from a 15 lumen incan to a 3500 lumen programmable LED Triple in your choice of color temp/cr-i. And on up from there. Single mode. 5 mode. Fully programmable. Secondary led colors. Pocket clips. Lanyards. Your choice of switch type. One to four cells. The options are literally endless.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Systems Executive, or Rotary, with a Neutral Long Throw XPG3 LED emitter.

You can purchase a lot of less expensive lights if you want to build a collection that will be difficult, if not impossible, to resell or you can buy one light that will hold its value and sell within a day or two if you decide you want something different.

Last edited:

daffy

Enlightened
No, not the most expensive.

No, not the most popular.

No, not the size.

No, not what exactly it's used for, more for "overall purpose" of use.

What do the forum members here feel are the very best LED flashlight for the money $ spent, regardless of price?
The one that fits your budget

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best VALUE, which is my interpretation of "per dollar", for general purpose?

I say Thrunite. Mine have been reliable, versatile and inexpensive.

You can go higher quality at much higher cost.

You can go lower cost at much lower quality.

I would also agree with scout24 in the long game.

Great thread, I think it's a good question and a fun discussion.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would add Malkoff as actual number one for value, since OP says regardless of actual dollar amount.

I feel Malkoff is absolutely the top in PER DOLLAR.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff and HDS for me. Same lumens as 7 years ago. Still works fine. Still being carried.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My jet mini mk-I is always with me, never once left at home since 2017. Never came on in my pocket accidentally, has a built in charger last long enough for my needs

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one that I have in hand when I need some light.

What about you Mr Flashlight?

I notice you have only asked philosophical questions here so far but not answered them too?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best for the $ and all around use. Probably Maglite C and D cell lights. Then Malkoff which overall is my favorite. Some are saying HDS rotary, I have one, I wouldn't put it into this category.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A P60 host of your choice. Solarforce on up to a full custom host. The most versatile platform in our hobby, bar none. In 30 seconds you can go from a 15 lumen incan to a 3500 lumen programmable LED Triple in your choice of color temp/cr-i. And on up from there. Single mode. 5 mode. Fully programmable. Secondary led colors. Pocket clips. Lanyards. Your choice of switch type. One to four cells. The options are literally endless.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Like Vans sneakers, a good idea never goes out of style regardless of fads.

I like my ML25 too, when I need a finishing nail hammer that doubles as a flashlight.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only considering pure value for your money, price for performance, I'd vote Convoy. Just my humble opinion of course

And mine too, when paired with internals by Randy at PFlexPro. Assuming, of course, he's still in the business of working for us enthusiasts. (This might be too big of an assumption since his website is still down.). Quality (esp thermal management), durability, and customization are unmatched if you can live with a convoy host. At least that's my opinion. YMMV.

Latest posts