Your flashlight collection.....

Mr. Flashlight

Newly Enlightened
What would you consider as having a flashlight collection?

Meaning, having more than just two?....or more than that?

How many do you actually have in your flashlight collection?

Are all of them in actual working condition?

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Mr. Flashlight. I think you start to have a collection when you buy flashlights for no real use. You think it's "cool" or looks fun or out of curiosity. EX: I have a Mini Mag in black, why not try to buy every color ever made cause that would be cool to look at on a shelf or show pics on CPF or IG. :thumbsup:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a collection when you have more than one that doesn't get used anymore. Or if you remove your books and put them in the bookcase, or take down the family pictures and put them on your dresser or you bribe your kids not to say anything to mom about another package in the mail... or you ask your insurance company if a shrink is covered for flashlight addiction

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Mr. Flashlight! Here's a sub-forum and thread that may also pique your interest.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?5-Flashlight-collecting

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?87150-list-your-lights

There is no objective stat or bar of entry to what exactly entails a "collection" of anything, much less flashlights. The idea of a "collection" is very abstract in itself, and totally subjective. A collection can be comprised purely of data and mass-less information, it can be a grouping only ever looked at and admired, it can be part working set of tools part admiration..... or anything up to, between, and around such as stated.

A collection is nothing more than a grouping of "things" that share a theme or idea. What that is for each person varies as much as the actual parts of those collections varies between each individual.

Good luck!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Flashlight collection? :thinking:

When you have more than you need and 'collect' more. :cool:

I stopped counting after 35, but noticed one day I had a helluvalot more than 35.…more like 350.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread had me thinking:
At work everyone knows I collect lights. Sometimes a square will come say they collect them too. I ask how many own and it is typically 5 or 6 big box store lights. Streamlight & Mags seem to be the popular brand. So a "collection" of lights is very subjective depending on the individual.

I also forgot to offer some "Collectors Advice": If you are new at it, I suggest refraining from saying you Collect Flashlights in a public setting. It can lead to some very uncomfortable looks and conversations that may lead to you becoming an outcast.

I am often amused that lots coworkers think the Surefire Fury (green tint) I keep in my desk is the Best light they have every touched. lol
One fella showed real interest and wanted to "get into lights", his words. Next, he asked me how much the Fury was, I think I said I paid about $80. The look on his face was priceless. But at that moment, I was too embaressed to show him the Cool Fall I had in my pocket for fear of loosing what Bro respect we had left.

Seriously, so once you are known locally as a Collector of Lights, from time to time people will come show you their new "mega bright" light. A true collector doesn't hurt the knobs feelings. They are not woke to the flashlight game and have never heard of Gene Malkoff and would laught to know there is a forum dedicated to flashlights. So, it is customary that you respond in a positive manner with a smile, while bearing in mind they have never considered paying over $25 for a flashlight.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My neighbor down the street is one of those Str8. One night I was walking about (after dark) with a 1930's Burgess 3 cell Range Finder and he says "hey neighbor, need some light there?" I thanked him and explained it had just arrived that day after being in somebodys attic for 75 years but after I clean it up it'll be a bit brighter. The 3D version is a very rare version but only a flashlight nut would know that sort of thing.

Well being neighborly he insisted on lighting up the street with his Mickey Mouse ear beamed triple from a box store. "600!! LUMENS!!" he says with glee. I thanked him and went back home. See, I had been walking down my street scanning neighbors yards pretending to be a police man of the 1930's looking for a perp using typical 1930's gear……yet had been flashed forward in time to a place with modern day light pollution everywhere. Yup talk about weirdo.

Fast forward a few months and Streamlight has released a 2200 lumen handheld. I programmed mine to start on the 60 lumen low. Again similar scenario where I'm strolling along after dark with a 60 lumen flooder lighting my way. Again neighbor offers to lend a hand. Only this time he has 1000 lumens. Well I'm sure the clamshell packaging said 1000. Heck it may have been when the batteries were fresh, didn't matter to me. It was a whole lot brighter than my 60 lumen setting was. A conversation ensues where asks what brand it was. Streamlight I said. "Oh those are good, I hear". Then the subject of price to which the neighbor let out a wale "$99?!?, are you crazy?" I set it up to medium and said "600 lumens" and hear "nice" then I clicked to high and lit up the block like the fire department was on scene and hear "Yup, worth $99 but my wife would kill me if I spent $99 on a flashlight". (Note this is coming from a man who spends $36/pr on special marathon runner socks.)

I went home and thought about that "wife would kill me" statement and plucked from a shelf a new 1x triple A number PK had sent me and took it to the guys house and said "give this to your wife". While I showed him the tiny light could light his path some 75 feet he asked how much do those cost. I replied "how much do you pay for your flashlights?" to which he stated never over $35. I responded "this one was $36". Last time we talked flashlights he had broken the $50 barrier on a Streamlight. Good start I thought never revealing the Elzetta Bones clipped inside my pocket was 3x that.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would you consider as having a flashlight collection?
I think there was a good answer above: as soon as you're buying more than you have a need for.

Meaning, having more than just two?....or more than that?
If you only need one, then two would be a collection by the above definition. :)

How many do you actually have in your flashlight collection?
I've actually been going through my house today looking for something flashlight related, meaning I've been in totes and boxes and shelves and baskets... Several dozen, at least.

Are they are in actual working condition?
Actually, most of them are! Probably at least two-thirds of them. In any given week, I use over a half-dozen different lights at least once.

Latest posts