E2 Hyper Throw?

Chazzwozzer

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks. Long time lurker, and long time malkoff junkie. I recently got an e2 hyper throw head, and something seems off about it. It doesnt have a round hotspot, almost like the led is out of focus. All my other tir equipped malkoffs have a well defined hotspot. Can someone with a hyper throw head tell me if your hotspot is round? I'm not sure if it's normal considering the optic used in the hyper head looks vastly different than the optics on my other malkoffs. Also it doesnt seem to throw as far as my m61HOT which is rated at 20k lux. It could just be that the hyper has a warmer tint and I only tested in my backyard. But the wierd looking hotspot on my hyper has me scratching my head.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I don't have either of those although the E2hyper is on my to do list. Got to remember that it's just not lux when it comes to throw.output counts to. The M61hot is what 250 lumens more the the E2? The hot is much brighter and that might be what your seeing. Also it's not like your comparing a stock M61 to it. I think there around 7000 lux. The hot is 20,000 the E2 is 35,000 it's definitely more but on the scale of things it's not huge. But a call to gene wouldn't hurt. Not much help.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The small TIR lens of the E-series heads will project the shape of the LED, which is (obviously) square. My Bodyguard v.2 has a pronounced squarish hot spot, the larger M91T less so and the very large HD Super TIR lens renders the hot spot and corona perfectly round.

For WML or defensive applications (for which that E2 Hyper is intended), the intensity of the hot spot (lux) is far more important than its shape. If beam quality is of greatest concern ("white wall hunting"), a reflector design still reigns supreme.

Chazzwozzer

Newly Enlightened
The hotspot on my hyper is neither round nor square. Almost like if the optic is not perfectly centered on the Led. It appears to be affecting peak lux. Something similar happened on my m61HOT after dropping it on concrete from a high distance, the optic was moved off center. I'd appreciate it if someone with a hyper head can tell me if they have a round hotspot or not. I'll test at longer distances sometime in the future to see if throw is affected or not. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with my hyper head, and it's all in my head. Consequences of being a junkie perhaps.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
At what distance from a wall does your E2 Hyper Throw's spot appear non-round?

Last edited:

Chazzwozzer

Newly Enlightened
At what distance from a wall does your E2 Hyper Throw's spot appear non-round?

Around 15 feet. At that distance my e2t and m61HOT appear to have round hotspots. My e2hyper has an odd shaped hotspot. I'm just wondering if that's normal considering the optic looks vastly different. I havnt checked the throw at long distances yet, other than my backyard.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh I'd take her outside. Them throwers are NOT for whit wall hunting. Bet it's fine past 20 yards

Chazzwozzer

Newly Enlightened
Well I emailed the man himself. He replied "the hyper heads have kind of a star shaped hotspot " that seems to be a pretty good description of what I am seeing with my hyper head. There u have it folks.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, at close range (anything indoors is close range), the Hyper's spot\corona isn't pretty.

The throw difference between my HOT and my Hyper aren't likely detectable via any means besides a meter.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have been playing around with my new SF defender. The 5/1000 model. That thing is insane! The throw is nuts from something that small. I'd love something from Malkoff as I'm sure build quality is much better and was looking at the E2 hyper but not sure if that's even close. Anybody got both that they can comment on?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Surefire is no joke, I am really glad I kept some of mine. I wont sell anymore of them. I will be looking at the Defender now. I was going to go the 16650 Malkoff E2 Hyper route, but I like smoother hotspots with reflectors, so I am going to investigate them now. Does the SF Defender even support 16650 cells? I guess my research will let me know.

Good weekend everyone!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I got rid of mine but ya it ran off of 16650. Not as bright though. I stopped using 2X123 in it due to the VERY high current draw. I'm not one who thinks batteries are as dangerous and hand grenades but the way it drew scared even me.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Got an E2 Hyper Throw inbound. Going on this;

edc-12.jpg

For this particular light, I'm looking for maximum candela - 35,000 from a light this small is noteworthy.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The throw difference between my HOT and my Hyper aren't likely detectable via any means besides a meter.

My E2 Hyper Throw just arrived and I did a very quick and informal comparison to my M91T (latest version).

In a dark room on a wall ten feet away, the M91T has a much broader and uniform hot spot that is generally the same brightness as the E2HT, so it appears to be brighter overall. But when I compared the beams on the ceiling directly above me, there is a small center section of the E2HT beam that is clearly much brighter than the center of the M91T hot spot. I suspect this is where the 35,000 lux rating is taken from, compared to the 19,000 lux rating of the M91T. I'll get a better look tonight outside and will attempt some comparison beam shots this weekend, but so far the E2HT is living up to my expectations.

FWIW, I believe the M91T and M61HOT are practically identical in performance, only differing in voltage range.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing. I felt the same when I originally got M91T and Hot/M61T. there are slight differences, but not a big enough gap. As you said, mainly voltage range/format size differences.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Some more informal testing via side-by-side comparisons;

The edge of the woods is about 100 feet from our back door. Standing at the back door, though the M91T illuminates more of the back yard, the E2HT illuminates the tree line vastly brighter.

Using just the apparent brightness of the trees 100 feet away, the E2HT seems halfway between the M91T and the HD Super. Based on these subjective observations, I would say the 35,000 lux rating of the E2HT seems correct.

Both the M91T and (obviously) the HD Super have substantially brighter spill, but the spill of the E2HT is certainly bright enough for outdoor navigation without having to use the hot spot.

And yes, the hot spot of the E2HT is indeed star shaped!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So the E2HT without question throws further then the M91T? Correct. It's just that the spill is no where near as bright or large.