Where to buy good 9011 and H9?

Rustook

Newly Enlightened
I can't seem to find a good solution for what seems like it should be a simple problem:

As of October 2019: Where can I actually buy some high quality, high output 9011s and H9s ?

You mentioned yours were both old stock or over a year old.

Amazon has the Phillips Basic "Standard" in both sizes but that is all I can find anywhere - online or local. My local stores don't even have a single 9011 or H9 on the shelves.

The Phillips on Amazon seem suspiciously cheap ($6 for H9 basic) and several reviewers complained that the pictures show made in Germany, but they received Made in China.

I went to 3 local auto parts stores and was able to find one pair of Sylvania (Osram / Germany) Silverstar H9s for $50.

Nobody has 9011 anything.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
As of October 2019: Where can I actually buy some high quality, high output 9011s and H9s ?

Well, for HIR1 (9011) there's the Toshiba bulb, expensive but good. You could try your luck with this Sylvania link and hope (pending data...) that you get the newer Korean bulb being discussed in this thread, or here is a link to the Osram-packaged bulb, with one image showing the newer-type bulb we're discussing.

Kind of strange that you can't find an H9 locally; it's a very commonly used type. But if this is as advertised, it's a killer deal on a good bulb made in Hungary. Or here's another vendor offering it for under $10 (maybe call on the phone and confirm it's actually a GE bulb). Or here is an Osram H9. Made in Germany as far as the picture goes, anyway!

If all that fails or you need to get a hold of bulbs immediately, locally, well, there's always the dealerships. GM 10351666 for a major-brand H9, Toyota 90981-13066 for a Toshiba HIR1.

Last edited:

Hammeredsole

Newly Enlightened
The amazon Philips 9011 are GTG. I've put them in my BMW s1000r, 2014 Land Cruiser, and 2018 4Runner. All in place of 9005, and all have provided a reliable and significant upgrade to the OEM bulbs. I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle over korean, hungarian, transylvanian, pygmy or otherwise origin of manufacture of the bulbs. They are 9011, they are very bright, and they are quality. Some people get WAY too deep into the minutiae of things.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480J5CW/?tag=cpf0b6-20

As far as H9, Daniel Stern Lighting should have quality parts if you can't find them anywhere else.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
On one hand, yeah, you're right, Hammeredsole: a reputable brand of 9011 is usually going to be an upgrade over a 9005.

On the other hand, people frequenting this board often really care about differences most of the general public doesn't even know to bother thinking about.

And on the other other hand, there are some brands of bulb that many would probably consider major/reputable, selling junk. Wagner is a perfect example in the case of the HIR1/9011 bulb, as well as the big-name junk sellers (Eiko...).

Also, the landscape is changing: HIR1 got de-listed from UN Regulation 37 as an approved light source for new type approvals (it can still be made for replacement use). Vosla discontinued their HIR1, which was where the Philips product was coming from and, if I recall correctly, Osram/Sylvania was buying them from Vosla for awhile, too. That's probably what drove Osram/Sylvania to re-source the bulb in Korea, and it will be interesting to see what Philips does. Oops, and it looks like Tungsram has "phased out" (discontinued) their HIR2 and doesn't even list an HIR1, which throws those previous GE links into serious doubt.

Ls400

Enlightened
Also, the landscape is changing: HIR1 got de-listed from UN Regulation 37 as an approved light source for new type approvals (it can still be made for replacement use).

Why outright "ban" the usage of HIR1 in new cars instead of just letting it wither on the vine?

if I recall correctly, Osram/Sylvania was buying them from Vosla for awhile, too. That's probably what drove Osram/Sylvania to re-source the bulb in Korea, and it will be interesting to see what Philips does. Oops, and it looks like Tungsram has "phased out" (discontinued) their HIR2 and doesn't even list an HIR1, which throws those previous GE links into serious doubt.

Yes, I finally found the other Osram/Sylvania 9011 I had lying around. Both were purchased at the same store on the same day. The other one looks like a Vosla-sourced product. Even has the QR code that all my Vosla bulbs have, and the Philips 9011s have. No other bulbs in my possession have QR codes, so I guess it must be fairly unique to Vosla.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Why outright "ban" the usage of HIR1 in new cars instead of just letting it wither on the vine?
That is a good question! I don't know the answer. It was logical enough with H2 years ago -- that bulb's design makes precise positioning difficult and costly; it requires a very heat-tolerant bulb holder which is very hard to seal effectively. I have not heard a reasonable answer to why HIR1 (and H14) were de-listed as acceptable light sources for new type approvals. All anyone's ever told me is "Nobody was using it", which seems like a lame excuse. What's the harm in leaving it? It's not like the specs are going to change. OK, nobody's using it today...what about tomorrow?

Rustook

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the detailed replies.

Based on reading on this forum I've decided to give up on the H9 and just source a Silverstar Ultra H11 or Phillips extreme vision locally. My vehicle is spec'ed for H11 and after seeing the relatively minor differences in real world performance of the H11s I'm going to air on the side of safety / caution and stick with those.

The minor increase in performance doesn't seem worth the hassle of worrying about amperage, wiring safety, etc.

Changing gears:

For the 9011s, I'll go with the Sylvania Basic or Phillips OEM (basic).

If I am reading you correctly it sounds like the high end 9011s (Silverstar Ultra, Xtreme Vision, etc) may no longer be being produced? and maybe never will be again?

jzchen

Enlightened
I ordered a Philips Basic H9 bulb, Ships from and sold by Amazon, just on October 10. Bulb has "GERMANY" on the bottom. Yes, it was $6.93 says my order details.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
relatively minor differences in real world performance

Errrr...no, the differences are actually quite significant in favor of the H9. See here for the data, and scroll down to the table showing a seeing light reading of 6350 for the H9 versus 4200 for the H11. That's more than 50% more light, definitely not minor. It sounds like you are considering what it looks like you see in a photograph as "real world performance". That's a mistake; it's nothing of the kind.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for the detailed replies.

Based on reading on this forum I've decided to give up on the H9 and just source a Silverstar Ultra H11 or Phillips extreme vision locally. My vehicle is spec'ed for H11 and after seeing the relatively minor differences in real world performance of the H11s I'm going to air on the side of safety / caution and stick with those.

The minor increase in performance doesn't seem worth the hassle of worrying about amperage, wiring safety, etc.

Changing gears:

For the 9011s, I'll go with the Sylvania Basic or Phillips OEM (basic).

If I am reading you correctly it sounds like the high end 9011s (Silverstar Ultra, Xtreme Vision, etc) may no longer be being produced? and maybe never will be again?
i have done both swaps, h9 is visibly brighter from the driver seat over h11, which is the the whole point of swap, i did it in my 2018 pilot, 9011 otoh did not give much noticeable improvement in 2016 sonata, both are reflectors. both brands were sylvania. the way i see it, h11-9 swap worth it, 9005-9011 i wont bother ever again

Last edited:

Rustook

Newly Enlightened
seeing light reading of 6350 for the H9 versus 4200 for the H11. That's more than 50% more light, definitely not minor....

i have done both swaps, h9 is visibly brighter from the driver seat over h11,

Points taken. I now understand the H9 is a meaningful upgrade and I will give them a try.

I ordered a Philips Basic H9 bulb, Ships from and sold by Amazon, just on October 10. Bulb has "GERMANY" on the bottom. Yes, it was $6.93 says my order details.

Thanks for the info!

I'll give those a shot

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened
I went to 3 local auto parts stores and was able to find one pair of Sylvania (Osram / Germany) Silverstar H9s for $50.

Nobody has 9011 anything.

Thank you

AutoZone and OReilly's should both carry 9011's (behind the counter).

AZ_9011.PNG

OR_9011.PNG

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
There are a few HIR1s noted in this thread. That $54 Toyota part is actually discounted from a ghastly $78 MSRP. Is it worth it to pay that much extra vs the other choices? Amazon shows two ACDelco versions. Which of the two is better?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ACDelco+9011&ref=is_s

Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I'm in need of the same answer. Just about to load up some new OEM Denali projector headlights.

I found this link from an older thread https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9QPKS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Amazon shows this as a "newer" part https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9RQ4W/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
After two weeks my box arrived from Daytona Toyota. Inside was a 90981-13066 Toshiba HIR1 (in a Toyota labeled bubble wrap) and a Sylvania 9005 (in a box labled 9005G 90981-13066.)

I sent an email to the Parts Manager explaining the situation. Hopefully they make it right and hopefully the Toshibas aren't NLA and this isn't what they've decided to replace them with. I could've purchased seven Sylvania 9005 bulbs for what I spent.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It's not likely they'd "replace" HIR1 bulbs with 9005 bulbs -- that would make legal compliance problems for them.

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
Excellent news, they shipped me two Toshibas for my trouble! Now I have three total. As you know, my GMT800 Denali projectors accept 9005 in each of the four beams. Right now I have Philips 9011 in the high beams. I may just leave it as such, keeping the extra Toshiba as a spare.