Want to Build a Flashlight/Laser Combo

Duke1833

Newly Enlightened
1st time poster and new to the hobby, but I have a bit of quandary. I'm into astronomy and like to share this with guests and have been looking for a special light. I would like to make/mod a flashlight laser combo that's pocket/keychain sized. I have seen similar products available but you cannot run the laser and light at the same time. The only comparable thing I've seen are laser gun sights, and even those seem to have two separate circuits. If I could get a light with laser circuit that has the option of running the two independently as well as simultaneously.

Im not opposed to a mod or a one-off build. I have a machining background and have limited electronics skill, but circuit design is outside of my wheel house. I've perused DIY shops and was thinking of doing something unique with a laser diode down the center of a three/triple up emitter. I like the idea of using cr123's as a power source, but any insight (commercially available recommendations) would be appreciated.

If it makes it easier as well, I would actually prefer to stay away from different power modes. Laser on-light on- both on.

Let me know if this is feasible or if I'm just dreaming too high. Thanks for entertaining my aspirations!

-Duke

nbp

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome. I moved your post from the unrelated thread it was posted in to a new thread so it can be discussed on its own. Best with your project!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kinda a hobby astronomer myself, and know the green laser you're thinking about. Well, actually the ones I've seen have a tether to a pretty big power source.

As you've found out, it has not been done yet, but it does seem possible. Maybe this is your million dollar idea!