GyrFalcon All-88 Good for Eneloop/LSD Batteries?

dlong

Newly Enlightened
I have read that La Crosse BC-900 overcharges LSD batteries. I think because the La Crosse misses the the termination signal AND/OR the trickle charge at the end. I have had my BC-900 for many years (10+) and charged mostly, non-LSD NiMH on them. Over the years, almost all of my NiMH have suddenly died -- no slow drop off, just one day, it would no longer keep a charge for longer than a few days. However, they were old and so I just chalked it up to age rather than perhaps the charger being 'bad'. I'm down to just a few non-LSD now and have replaced the dead ones with LSD. In the last 3-4 years, have charged mostly LSD NiMH, none have died yet. Also, no melt down (cross my fingers, knock on wood) as I have not been placing the charger in a metal container during charging.

Anway, I was wondering if the GyrFalcon All-88 (https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger GyrFalcon All-88 2017 UK.html as reviewed by HKJ) would be a good replacement for the La Crosse BC-900 with regards to charging Eneloop/LSD batteries? And if there are any specific charge configuration for the unit for LSD? Thanks.

fmc1

Enlightened
I don't own one but based on HKJ's review it looks like a very good NiMh charger. The positive things that I noticed on the review are first off is correct termination –dv/dt. Others are no top off charge and no trickle charge. The charge current choices are fine for AA's and AAA's. 1A for AA's and .5A for AAA's are just right. If you are charging C's and D cells the 1A max current in my opinion is not enough but will do the job it will just take a lot longer. One of HkJ's tests is a low current termination and the charger passed, this is often a problem with –dv/dt termination because the charger cannot detect the voltage drop. That was not an issue with this charger. To me this is one of the top 5 chargers on the market for sure even though it has no testing functionality.

Frank