Exercise Heart Rate Monitors Anybody use one???

TOB9595

Enlightened
I'm starting to look into the Polar heart rate monitors that have a chest ecg transmitter.
There's so many models that I'm even more confused than usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
How accurate are they?
Can you swim and Aquarobicize with them?
How intricate do I need to get?
I'd like to store my baseline heartrate info and get the info on changes to the baseline as I fitten up.
I plan on using it walking, stationary bike, bicycling, working out in water.
I'd like to monitor the zone in these activities. I'd like to input age, weight, etc.
Is Polar the one to get? Other brands?
Looking forward to all the usual excellent and diverse experiences /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
I had a lexan window installed into my chest so I could visually monitor my heartbeat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously though. I bought a polar on a whim about 3-4 years ago. It has been one of my best fitness purchases. As much as I sweat I would say the waterproofness claims are good, so swim away.

Chest transmitter works whether it is high or low on my chest. It's not really finicky at all.

The watch has gone though 1 battery in 4 years, the transmitter is still running on the original one.

I got a simple model. It only keeps your last workout in it. I just write down the data after I get home from the gym. After a brief period of your baseline fitness increasing, the data really doesn't change much. It's just nice to be able to keep up with it.

I mainly use it for:
1. working out at a specific rate to raise my aerobic threshold
2. keep an eye on my hr so I don't go into cardiac arrest during a bike race

Funny story about #2...
By the book my lactate threshold is 162 beats/min (bpm). I can usually run 170 w/o any problem. I was in a mountain bike race about a year ago. Started up a very steep climb to checkpoint #1... my front derailleur would not shift to the little ring (granny gear). Instead of getting off and walking I stood up on the pedals, screamed, and powered to the top of the hill in the middle ring. Got to the top, hr was 188. Max for my age is 189. I don't want to know what happens after 189.

I would hazard to say that any model has the hr zone display. This lets you know which range you are operating in. You input your birthday and the watch does the rest. I wouldn't worry with weight input/etc. If you lose weight, you know you're doing the right thing.

I have found that for me, the following burn about 10 calories per minute:
stairmaster on level 4-6
elliptical machine in mid ranges and speeds
jogging at about 5-6 mph

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree a heart rate monitor is a great investment in your exercise program. I used a Polar for years. You can swim in it, get it wet, etc. You don't need many functions unless you're hard core. The basic features I used: ability to set a low and high heartrate, and get a beeping warning when I fall below or climb above the limits. Ability to keep track of the amount of time I spent exercising in the zone between the previously-mentioned low and high limits.

One VERY cool feature for night jogs, that I liked and would recommend (though it's not absolutely necessary). Mine had a feature where if I tilted the watch face-up and brought it to within a couple of inches of the chest strap, the backlight would automatically come on. That let me check my heartrate on a night run without fumbling around with both hands. Again, not strictly necessary, but I enjoyed that feature.

Joe

TOB9595

Enlightened
Re: Exercise Heart Rate Monitors Anybody use one??

Well, That settles it!!
I just ordered a large size Lexan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got a Polar Protrainer XT a number of years ago. This was after I had compared it with all the other brands available on the web. All batteries are still working fine. This model also keeps a record of the last workout. I enter the data of each workout in a spreadsheet and calculate "pulse points," a measure of the value of the workout.

Good luck with yours, Tom. A good monitor (and I've had some bad ones) adds a lot to the exercise experience IMO.

Paul

TOB9595

Enlightened

Good advice from all.
Still don't have a good handle on which one.
Tom

StuU

Enlightened

I've had a Bike Nashbar heart rate monitor that has been in use for 7 years. Only cost $30 at the time and has been very reliable and is on the second set of batteries. I don't know about water-proof qualities. Great investment for fitness management.