Reccomend a white/red headlamp

jkcolo22

Newly Enlightened
I searched. All threads were pretty old, so looking for current opinions. I would like a good camping/hiking headlamp with a red light that is capable of use for hiking into a hunting spot at dawn. Preferably in 18650. I bought a Fenix HL60R last year, and with the red 1 lumen light, I was stumbling all over the place. My buddy had some piece of junk from a big box store, but his red light sure was better than mine. I've read threads suggesting that a red LED dedicated light like the Zebra H502PR will put out better light, but I'd really like to avoid switching lights back at camp and would prefer a red/white switchable lamp.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I also have the HL60R and the dual red LEDs are worthless except for a battery checker. I often wonder how low of white lumens will do and not upset night vision. I don't bother with red LEDs I just make sure and have plenty of light and battery power to use white instead.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of those Ozarktrails pieces of crap a few years ago from walmart in the package as an extra with another light. It has 5mm LED's, not like the version they sell now, but it's actually pretty bright and uses AAA's. It has different modes. I keep it in some drawers where I keep a bunch of other user/backup lights. It seems like a decent light. I'm not a big headlamp guy, but I'm not a cave explorer either. I can see how they can be very handy in many situations, like fixing things in the dark.

I did like my Surefire helmet light for the red LED's.

Last edited:

Renegadethreads

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the Klarus HC3 Visor Motion-Sensing Clip Headlight. Really good deal for the $14 I paid at Sky Lumen. Comes with headband or clips to a hat. I have a few of them.

RRPC

Newly Enlightened
I just received a armytek Wizard WR(red and white light, and a Nitecore hc65. The red light on the armytek is outstanding. Will be playing with both later this evening after they get done charging and hopefully will be able to Capture some screen shots of them for comparison.
Josh

beerguy21

Newly Enlightened
I recentlty purchased a nitecore hc65 which supports up to 1000 lumen, superb.

HvyPckts

Newly Enlightened
I recentlty purchased a nitecore hc65 which supports up to 1000 lumen, superb.

My current headlamp game consists of $9 single AA lamps. Lo, Med, Hi settings with decent throw and okay spill.

I'll have to scope out the hc65 and see what's going on with more advanced headlamp goodness. :cool: