A small and light 18650 EDC with high CRI?

Bazsy

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an EDC to have with me when I'm out walking the dog and really overall where it might be needed without notice. Low weight and moderately small size is preferable so that I actually take it with me.
I have no need for long runtime but high CRI would be fun to have as I can afford a bit lower output.
18650 is what I already have but the light has to to be able to use protected cells (unlike most zebralights).
3-4 light levels would do with the highest for abour 5 minutes until thermal protection kicks in.

Also I filled in the list:
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__Online (EU is preferred).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Up to $100 (ish)

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (high CRI)

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
____Protected 18650

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - 5-10 minutes on max is plenty

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you need to use protected cells in a single cell light?

Look at the Emisar D4V2 light and be the 'coolest kid on your block.'

It has low voltage warning (it steps down to a lower mode) and low voltage shutoff.

Chris

RollerBoySE

Enlightened

It has low voltage warning (it steps down to a lower mode) and low voltage shutoff.

Chris

I have exactly the same tip, you'll find it here:
https://intl-outdoor.com

Review here:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67661

(It does work with a protected cell, it's just not possible to get the highest level of output, same as with all really high output lights.)

Strintguy

Enlightened
Thanks guys, I wonder how many of us rushed to the int'l outdoor site? That's a cool light. Will it throw? Just wondering about emitter choice

Bazsy

Newly Enlightened

Chris

Thanks!

During the days gone I settled on the Zebralight SC64c LE which arrived today but I need to pick it up at the post. I also ordered some flat top unprotected Samsung 18650GAs (already have 4 protected orbtronic and 2 unprotected but button top of the same cell). This is a good 800lm which will suffice for my EDC needs.

The Emisar looks fun but buying from the US would make it a 100$ light and I don't get to have fun with it that much.

I also have a Fenix TK35U if I need more lumens for some reason and that can also sustain quite a lot of light.

Also ordered some AA lights because it became pretty dark outside :)
So a Sofirn SP10S and a Lumintop tool AA are on their way from China :)

But one can never have enough flashlights, I just have to find a reason to buy something with a lot of throw :)