Topeak Headlux 450 USB Review - Tiny but powerful

thesweetcyclists

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would share a review I did for the new Topeak Headlux 450. I haven't seen much in the way of reviews on the Topeak line of lights, so I wasn't sure what to expect when I received the light. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

Here is an abbreviated review. A full video is on youtube and a full article is on our website.

SPECS
  • $49.95
  • 450 Max Lumens
  • Integrated 940 mAh Li-ion battery
  • Single button interface, with low-battery indicator
  • Micro USB rechargeable
  • Dual LEDs
  • Metal housing
  • Tool-free rubber strap mounts
  • Small form factor - 2.6" x 1.9" x 1.1"
  • 73 g

LIGHT OUTPUT
There are four available output modes and claimed runtimes with the Headlux 450 are: low (135 lumens, 5 hours), medium (270 lumens, 3 hours), high (450 lumens, 1.5 hours) and flash (10 hours).
The two LEDs in the Headlux 450 result in a very square beam pattern with an even light distribution. There are no hot spots in the light pattern, and the lens does have any integrated beam cut off.

MOUNTING
A mounting bracket is attached to the bottom of the Headlux with simple hooks on the sides, and grooves on the front/back. Topeak includes two straps with the light: large rubber strap an a short strap for helmets/forks. The large strap lets you attach the Headlux 450 to aero or normal round bars by simply pulling the strap around the light. There is minimal chattering and it provides enough tension to keep the light securely in place.

With the lightweight of the light, it's a great option to mount on your helmet as well.

VERDICT
Overall, we were very impressed with the Topeak Headlux 450 USB. It may be that we are spoiled with 1000+ lumen headlights, but we preferred the Headlux for urban riding or as a secondary helmet mounted light. In particular, the light weight of the Headlux 450 and easy mounting make it an ideal secondary or even backup light. Although the Headlux lacks a clear battery indicator, the compact form factor, price and easy mounting makes it easy to recommend.

Rear-view.jpg

Bottom-mount.jpg

Fits-in-your-palm.jpg

Last edited:

PhotonPhil

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, thanks for it. With no helmet mount included, those tabs on the side of the light would probably serve if there were a loop that would provide the right amount of tension if a suitable location through and around a helmet element could be located. But the lack of a vertical adjustment up there means it would all be via my neck muscles.

thesweetcyclists

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, thanks for it. With no helmet mount included, those tabs on the side of the light would probably serve if there were a loop that would provide the right amount of tension if a suitable location through and around a helmet element could be located. But the lack of a vertical adjustment up there means it would all be via my neck muscles.

Thanks. You can easily mount it on the helmet with the provided longer strap or shorter strap, but as you mentioned there is no vertical adjustability. Also, it seems like road cycling helmets have very aggressive vents these days which makes it harder to mount as is. With my Coros urban helmet, it worked out really well though, as it's pretty flat.