Duct Tape Fisking Kit

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
z7K7pBA.jpg

These are a good way to carry a minimalist fishing kit that doubles as a sewing kit. These are easy to make; I use a safety pin to wrap the fishing line around and to attach the paracord lanyard. I usually use gaff tape when I can, because gaff tape doesn't leave as much residue as duct tape, but duct tape will work. Everything else is pretty much self explanatory (don't forget the sewing needles and make sure they will fit your fishing line!). A tip is to fold over a little bit of tape on the edge so it is easier to open.

90Kiq2W.jpg

HnjP3lQ.jpg

Kr7982d.jpg

.....you can rig up a reel for casting using a water bottle or the like.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Now THATS. A good idea! I'm going to make a few of theses. Thanks for the idea.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gaffers or duct tape is also good for carrying hooks and needles on the lid of altoids tins:

ROQOw0h.jpg

The same thing will work on the back of kydex knife sheathes or any hard/flat surface.

wPVmZQX.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya I have some razor blades and hooks on the inside of mine held in place with gorilla tape.

archimedes

Flashaholic
:thinking: ... emergency wound repair, splinter removal, magnetized compass pointer, tiny fishing spear ... ??? :laughing:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be cautious with the tape - I've used many brands of expensive gaffer's tape, and in my experience, within a year or so the adhesive tends to either turn to goo or dust. Another problem can be that the adhesive can be very hard to separated when stuck to itself. Gaff tape is specifically supposed to have a high adhesion for a short time. Other tapes can have less adhesion, but seem to last longer. "Blue" paint tape seems to last a reasonable time without going bad, and some art tapes. Ordinary "masking" tape tends to be poor at longevity IME.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be cautious with the tape - I've used many brands of expensive gaffer's tape, and in my experience, within a year or so the adhesive tends to either turn to goo or dust. Another problem can be that the adhesive can be very hard to separated when stuck to itself. Gaff tape is specifically supposed to have a high adhesion for a short time. Other tapes can have less adhesion, but seem to last longer. "Blue" paint tape seems to last a reasonable time without going bad, and some art tapes. Ordinary "masking" tape tends to be poor at longevity IME.

I have 2 rolls of gaffers tape, one white "Pro" brand that is 7 + years old and one black "Pro Gaff" brand that is even older - both still work fine. I guess certain brands hold up better? When it gets real old (20 years maybe), I have noticed gaff tape does get stickier but it holds up better than ordinary duct tape and way better than the painter's tapes that I have used.

Another long lasting tape is military 100 MPH duct tape, I have some that's probably 30 years old that is still good.

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that there may be wide variations in tape adhesive between brands, and even various vintages.

Poppy

Flashaholic
xxo
This is great!
I pray that I am never in a situation where I am out there trying to survive long enough to consider going fishing, but to make a way to clip this to your pack so that it is always there is awesome!