Questions about UV lights

Sarge120867

Newly Enlightened
I work in the pest control industry. I am looking to pick up a good UV light to use for inspections for rodents and bed bugs. I am looking at the Nitecore MT1U at the moment but was wondering if there are better options available?

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
Check out the EagTac P200LC2 UV - I picked one up recently and it is an excellent light powered by an 18650 cell and with 3 levels of brightness. I am very happy with it and would buy it again for whatever that is worth.

Cheers,
Tim

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The magic term is 365nm wavelength. This is the classic "black light" wavelength. The less expensive 395-405nm near-UV lights put out a lot of visible purple and thus don't fluoresce things as well.

Sarge120867

Newly Enlightened
The magic term is 365nm wavelength. This is the classic "black light" wavelength. The less expensive 395-405nm near-UV lights put out a lot of visible purple and thus don't fluoresce things as well.
I have read this in doing my research.
Thank you.

Sarge120867

Newly Enlightened
Check out the EagTac P200LC2 UV - I picked one up recently and it is an excellent light powered by an 18650 cell and with 3 levels of brightness. I am very happy with it and would buy it again for whatever that is worth.

Cheers,
Tim
This looks like a good option.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nitecore P20UV works well and is according to the packaging a 365nm UV light. It also has an XM-L2 for white light. Only downside is that is has a battery spring on only one end, the head side has no spring at all.

syga

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about rodents, but I use a uv light for finding leaks in automotive fluids with dye.

There was another thread here that recommended this light with the 365 Nichia led, I bought it.

https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_277704.html

I haven't tried all uv lights, but this is the best I've ever used. Just use some clear uv blocking goggles with it. Note that it does not include a battery.

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast

At the low end, at Home Depot I recently got a 3AAA UV flashlight for $6; uses multiple cheap 5mm LEDs and shows a fair
bit of visible, but good to play around with. Also nice that it can take an 18650.

I don't have specific use, but notice they are good for detecting scorpions! I will check under my bed right away!

4.5h / 1m drop resistance 9 LEDs Great for Leak Detection, Reading Fluorescent Inks, Detection, Scorpion Detection
(3) AAA BATTERIES INCLUDED. UV Light

Going way back, my first UV light was a modest cost lab-use device using mercury tube and filter. Two versions were
offered, 3660A (366nm, "long wave") and 2537A (253.7nm, "short wave"); I got the latter. Original use was finding
fluorescent minerals; later to erase UV EPROMs. I had fun making day-glow posters and powdered detergent
(with optical brighteners) light up in the dark. It still works.

Dave

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Going way back, my first UV light was a modest cost lab-use device using mercury tube and filter. Two versions were
offered, 3660A (366nm, "long wave") and 2537A (253.7nm, "short wave"); I got the latter. Original use was finding
fluorescent minerals; later to erase UV EPROMs. I had fun making day-glow posters and powdered detergent
(with optical brighteners) light up in the dark. It still works.

Dave

Your experience matches mine almost exactly, I also used SW for finding fluorescent minerals and erasing eproms. I even discovered some phosphorescent rocks in our own driveway. They glowed a pale bluish-green after I turned the light off. That was the coolest thing.

And today those shortwave lamps can double as germicidal devices, especially with the filter removed.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast

Old tube lamp is Ultra-violet Products UVS-11. Verified it works and have a spare tube from an air purifier.

In a Canadian Tire store I saw a set of UV LED "inspection lamps" which are just over-sized penlights; one 365nm, other 395nm. Don't recall the brand/price, will try to get more info next visit. Can't seem to find it online and some of their webpages hang my browser for some silly reason.

Dave

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
In a Canadian Tire store I saw a set of UV LED "inspection lamps" which are just over-sized penlights; one 365nm, other 395nm. Don't recall the brand/price, will try to get more info next visit. Can't seem to find it online and some of their webpages hang my browser for some silly reason.

Dave

Interesting. I have yet to see a true 365nm LED flashlight in a regular retail store. Was the "inspection" lamp intended for detecting A/C leaks or something else?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I have yet to see a true 365nm LED flashlight in a regular retail store. Was the "inspection" lamp intended for detecting A/C leaks or something else?

The 365nm/395nm inspection light pair is made by/for an outfit called "Police Security". Not bad at CDN$25 but I didn't bite. At least one of the two is offered separately.

Package mentions currency checking and leaks for 365nm; blood/urine/scorpions (!) for 395nm.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checking the cheap Home Depot "Defiant" flashlight specs, no wavelength is spec'ed. Package
shows a glowing scorpion which is leading me to think it is 395nm.(**)

Found Coast UV 1AA flashlight PX100 which actually specs 400nm.

Side note, I watch a fair number of "who-dunnit" detective series main from England, Scotland, Ireland,
Australia, New Zealand etc. In Murdock Mysteries (Canada) Det. Murdock employs a crude (at the
time, early 1900's) UV lamp for detecting blood; in a wooden box, portable.

Dave

** hmmmm...shouldn't scorpions get compensation for their role in selling these products...they're not even on the payroll! :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Side note, I watch a fair number of "who-dunnit" detective series main from England, Scotland, Ireland,
Australia, New Zealand etc. In Murdock Mysteries (Canada) Det. Murdock employs a crude (at the
time, early 1900's) UV lamp for detecting blood; in a wooden box, portable.

Dave

I'm guessing it was an incandescent lamp with a woods glass filter. G-E used to make a 250 watt incandescent with the glass envelope made out of Woods Glass. It was a brute force way of getting some usable UV, but it ran so hot that it could only be used intermittently per the specs.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 365nm/395nm inspection light pair is made by/for an outfit called "Police Security". Not bad at CDN$25 but I didn't bite. At least one of the two is offered separately.

Package mentions currency checking and leaks for 365nm; blood/urine/scorpions (!) for 395nm.

Dave

I saw this set of UV inspection-style flashlights, one 365nm and one 395nm on sale for $20 so decided
to try.

First 365nm light failed after unscrewing the cap to check batteries (no longer lit). I detemined that
the LED head was bad. Second set did similar thing, though the 395nm light seemed OK. Seems to
be a design and/or manufacturing defect at play. Both sets returned, disappointed. Other products
under this brand are not necessarily bad.

Dave

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
395 has its place as certain fluids flouresce under 395 that would otherwise remain (mostly) unseen at 365. 395 is what I prefer when I want to check our bathrooms ;)

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got to wonder whether there was any current regulation on those 365nm LEDs. Hopefully they don't just rely on a series resistor.

UV LEDs of this type seem to have forward voltage >3v so must be some sort of voltage boost in there, as the
lights runs from 2xAAA.

Dave