"Grandparent" flashlight

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Looking for a simple-to-operate LED flashlight to give as Christmas gifts. Target audience is effectively grandparents who need a flashlight to put in a junk drawer, glove box, purse, or toolbox for extremely occasional use - but it needs to work when called upon; as such electronic switches out out (unless someone has finally perfected zero standby current). Single-switch UI is fine so long as the mode sequence makes sense. Program-ability is not wanted. Compactness is important, however 1xAA will more than suffice - no need to go with 1xAAA or some USB-charged lipo-powered light likely to self-discharge within 3-6 months nor something that runs on coin cells and has a runtime of 10 minutes. Lithium AA compatibility is important - I've sworn off trying to salvage alkaline leaks and these users will not suffer NiMH cell maintenance thus they'll be handed a stack of Energizer lithium AAs with these.

The laundry list:
  • ≤$50 price point
  • Conventional cylindrical formfactor in aluminum or any other reasonable metal
  • Replaceable 1xAA : 1.5V Lithium, alkaline, NiMH
  • Simple operation w/ no SOS, party strobe, whatnot
  • Flood beam for tasks
  • High output is not a priority

Going over Parametrek's entries, the following look to be moderately compatible...
The laundry list:
  • JetBeam SF-AA01 - Upsides: Inexpensive, single tail switch, seemingly a forward clicky. Downsides: SMO reflector for throw, can't locate a user manual to describe operation, first review I came across doesn't care for the UI/switch.
  • Fenix LD09 - Upsides: I've had good experiences with Fenix, forward clicky switch might be more intuitive for inexperienced users toggling modes than reverse. Downsides: SOS mode, pricier at ~$40
  • Streamlight Protac EMS - Upsides: Brand reputation, apparent forward clicky. Downsides: "High" output is a tad low.
  • Pelican 2350 - Upsides: Brand reputation. Downsides: Dumb default mode sequence means I'll have to reprogram it and hope that said program is stored in some sort of nonvolatile memory and also isn't accidentally changed.
  • Ultratac A1 - Upsides: Inexpensive, OP reflector for a diffuse beam, includes a diffuser, no strobe/SOS, available in neutral tint on Amazon. Downsides: I'm not so sure on the brand.

Ultratac A1 honestly looks to be the favorite from the list, however I've not kept up on this specific niche thus there might be options I'm missing.

EDIT: The Lumintop Tool AA should probably also be on the list.

Appreciate any advice the community has to offer.

Last edited:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Fenix e12. Click on low, tap to get the 2 higher modes. Small, reliable and as easy as it gets.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very pleased with my recent purchase of the Streamlight Protac 1L 1AA.
I have it set to High only, and it will run on on 1 x AA, 1 AAA, 1 x CR123 - Alkaline, Lithium or LI-Ion.
I guess it's quite throwy though. A bit of DC Fix would help with any of your choices.
P

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
My default recommendation for folks with less-than-dexterous, weak, or arthritic hands is the Energizer Hardcase 2AA Task Light.

Super easy to hold, side clicky is very easy to use from a comfortable hand position, no worries about being damaged when dropped. Large enough that it's easy to find/hard to lose, but still fits in a pocket when needed.

--flatline

idleprocess

Flashaholic
My default recommendation for folks with less-than-dexterous, weak, or arthritic hands is the Energizer Hardcase 2AA Task Light.

Mercifully, my recipients don't seem to be at that stage yet and likely won't be for some time.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I ponder this one all the time; such a shame that there's whole list of long discontinued lights that fit this bill perfectly, like the Fenix E10 or Defiant 3C 500. Will be watching :popcorn:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ponder this one all the time; such a shame that there's whole list of long discontinued lights that fit this bill perfectly, like the Fenix E10 or Defiant 3C 500. Will be watching :popcorn:

Defiant still makes 3C lights, though they claim something like 1200 lumens now.

3cQMU0m.jpg

Burgess

Flashaholic
Another vote here for Fenix E12 flashlight.

Load 'em with Energizer L91 Lithium cells,
and you're now Good To Go !

:cool:
_

Poppy

Flashaholic
Lights that I like to gift are Emergency power failure lights.

They can be had for about $10. When the lights suddenly go out, one may find himself at the top of the stairs in cave like darkness. Strategically located, each may throw some light into adjacent rooms. They can be used as a dinky little flashlight, and to find one's way to the junk drawer to get a real one.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
As a grandparent I understand that a black body flashlight is not easy to spot in a junk drawer in low light conditions and my wife who is also a grandparent has trouble with gravity causing heavy object making their way to the bottom of a purse, which again makes finding it less than easy. Otherwise I would definitely agree that the E12 mentioned is a winner. It only comes in black and feels like a lipstick case at the bottom of a purse due to both ends being pretty flat.

The Streamlight EMS on the other hand is blue, has shaping that when fumbling around feels like a flashlight and with the clip attached definitly feels not like other ordinary non flashlight objects. To me Inovas are good but twisty at the tail on off is not ideal for non flashaholics. The Pelican 2350 is a bit bulky but definitely feels like a flashlight.

I gift Rayovac Essentials as they are silver, stand out when fumbling in the dark, run a long time on a battery and are very inexpensive. No bells and whistles, won't SOS the space station but will put out plenty of light in darkness with a decent combo beam. That and aaa minimags.

Sipher3

Newly Enlightened
Fenix e12 is a fantastic suggestion. I lost mine at work a few years ago, along with my Thrunite t10, and Fenix ld11. I currently have a Olight S1a, but my Fenix e12 was still my favorite. Three modes, nice beam, and most importantly simple low, medium, high UI. I plan on picking up another one up at some point. Perfect for a junk drawer, or car clove box.

ftumch33

Enlightened
I would say one of the newer (higher lumen) Mini Maglites (2AA). Can`t get any simpler than that. The only thing I would add is maybe glow in the dark tape to put a ring or two of it on the handle.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years back I "Relighted" my parents (whom are in upper 80's & Grand Parents many times over). After my moms & dads strokes (6 mos apart!), they could no longer easily hold & press the button on the Surefire E2E with single mode LED Drop in I had set up for them. So, I brought several lights for them to try. She fell in love with the newer 2 C Led Maglite and dad opted for two 3 C's. They can grip the lights easier & operate the Twist easier. They could careless about led Tint & Beam Quality, they just want Bright light, which these do well.
So, not sure of your family members ages or physical limitations, but in my case, a Rear Click or side switch was not a option. I had never thought of it prior to bringing lights to test. When I first showed lights I thought the Lumintop two AAA was gonna be a winner, but it was too small to hold and they didn't like Modes.
Anyways, good luck.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years back I "Relighted" my parents (whom are in upper 80's & Grand Parents many times over). After my moms & dads strokes (6 mos apart!), they could no longer easily hold & press the button on the Surefire E2E with single mode LED Drop in I had set up for them. So, I brought several lights for them to try. She fell in love with the newer 2 C Led Maglite and dad opted for two 3 C's. They can grip the lights easier & operate the Twist easier. They could careless about led Tint & Beam Quality, they just want Bright light, which these do well.
So, not sure of your family members ages or physical limitations, but in my case, a Rear Click or side switch was not a option. I had never thought of it prior to bringing lights to test. When I first showed lights I thought the Lumintop two AAA was gonna be a winner, but it was too small to hold and they didn't like Modes.
Anyways, good luck.

I gave some elderly relatives Mag ML25's as well after letting them try other lights - tail switches and anything with modes were no go's, while the simple single mode C cell ML25's proved to be a good size to get a good grip on and the big twisty head is easy to use. They live out in the country so the fact that the ML25's throw a good distance is a plus as well. The only problem were the C batteries, they didn't have anything else that used them and I was concerned that they would leak, so I set them up with AA Eneloops, adapters and a charger from one of the kits from costco. Running AA's also makes the ML25's nice and light which is another plus.