Magic Scorpion - Transformers (12V 50W)

konifans

Enlightened
uc

uc

uc

uc

Designed and Produced in China by a Chinese Flashaholic in 2012-2013. I usually do not collect Chinese made incandescent flashlights due to quality but this one is an exception. The basic version comes with 3 x 18650 serial battery holder, and G4 / G6.32 bi pin socket. Internal adjustment of focus is possible, and different battery holders and barrels are available so it makes it possible to use different kinds of Halogen bulbs in the market. The basic version comes with a Philips 7027 G6.35 Halogen bulb (12V, 50W, 1600 lumens, 50 hrs bulb life), while using 3 x 18650 it is less than 12V but the output is close to 1000 lumens and the tint is... perfect!!

What makes it better is that even it is a high output incandescent light, the Keeppower P1831R protected 18650 works perfectly. This battery has 4 mosfect and the cell is actually a Sony VTC6.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
uc

uc

uc

uc

Designed and Produced in China by a Chinese Flashaholic in 2012-2013. I usually do not collect Chinese made incandescent flashlights due to quality but this one is an exception. The basic version comes with 3 x 18650 serial battery holder, and G4 / G6.32 bi pin socket. Internal adjustment of focus is possible, and different battery holders and barrels are available so it makes it possible to use different kinds of Halogen bulbs in the market. The basic version comes with a Philips 7027 G6.35 Halogen bulb (12V, 50W, 1600 lumens, 50 hrs bulb life), while using 3 x 18650 it is less than 12V but the output is close to 1000 lumens and the tint is... perfect!!

What makes it better is that even it is a high output incandescent light, the Keeppower P1831R protected 18650 works perfectly. This battery has 4 mosfect and the cell is actually a Sony VTC6.

now i know why i cant find one.
you hoarder! ;-)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see them on amazon...

$249 for 250w

$189 for 50w

I don't think those prices are bad at all for an attractive and well-built system with everything included in one purchase. The 3x18650 Leef M G4 build (w/ Lumens Factory Turbo head and Tad Customs halogen socket) I originally priced out with available parts was very nearly the same price as the G6.35 MST fancy version, $253. But the same amount of G6.35 halogen socket light can be had on the cheap with a 6D Maglite, Al reflector, glass lens, a 6.35 Socket by fivemega, and 6x D cell 3.6V Li-ion (19,000mAh!). A little unwieldy, smaller reflector, but probably less than $100 to build (not counting cells or lamps) for 4x-5x the runtime as MST or 3x18650 Leef M, and it is easier to find softstart drivers for Mag to further save on lamps. Adding fivemega's 2.5" turbo head puts it in the same price ballpark, but still a little less expensive, and still get that insane runtime.

Last edited:

konifans

Enlightened
I don't think those prices are bad at all for an attractive and well-built system with everything included in one purchase. The 3x18650 Leef M G4 build (w/ Lumens Factory Turbo head and Tad Customs halogen socket) I originally priced out with available parts was very nearly the same price as the G6.35 MST fancy version, $253. But the same amount of G6.35 halogen socket light can be had on the cheap with a 6D Maglite, Al reflector, glass lens, a 6.35 Socket by fivemega, and 6x D cell 3.6V Li-ion (19,000mAh!). A little unwieldy, smaller reflector, but probably less than $100 to build (not counting cells or lamps) for 4x-5x the runtime as MST or 3x18650 Leef M, and it is easier to find softstart drivers for Mag to further save on lamps. Adding fivemega's 2.5" turbo head puts it in the same price ballpark, but still a little less expensive, and still get that insane runtime.

I have many Maglite G6.35 Build, they are not expensive but there is one serious weakness - the plastic switch systems...too much plastic inside the light so I really dont know how much of heat the Maglite can take.
For these MST lights heat is not a problem. A few years ago the price was just under $100.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many Maglite G6.35 Build, they are not expensive but there is one serious weakness - the plastic switch systems...too much plastic inside the light so I really dont know how much of heat the Maglite can take.
For these MST lights heat is not a problem. A few years ago the price was just under $100.

Heat is a fair point, and I'd expect a light actually designed around a 50W or 100W lamp to be able to deal with heat, but some product pages I have seen for MST read "Do not use this flashlight over 3min." and exactly that verbatim, so this warning probably comes from the manufacturer, and I would assume is printed in any literature included with the light (I guess you can confirm this). I assume that is because of heat. Maybe that just covers liability and is not any real limitation except when the environmental ambient heat is very high. Or maybe there is a very real risk of the batteries experiencing thermal runaway after 3 minutes of use. I expect you have experience running your MST over three minutes? Did you dieded, or live to tell the tale? After running WA1185 for a few minutes in my Greenbean Leef/KT4 build, overheating the cells to thermal runaway is not something I am remotely concerned about, at least not with that lamp.

konifans

Enlightened
Heat is a fair point, and I'd expect a light actually designed around a 50W or 100W lamp to be able to deal with heat, but some product pages I have seen for MST read "Do not use this flashlight over 3min." and exactly that verbatim, so this warning probably comes from the manufacturer, and I would assume is printed in any literature included with the light (I guess you can confirm this). I assume that is because of heat. Maybe that just covers liability and is not any real limitation except when the environmental ambient heat is very high. Or maybe there is a very real risk of the batteries experiencing thermal runaway after 3 minutes of use. I expect you have experience running your MST over three minutes? Did you dieded, or live to tell the tale? After running WA1185 for a few minutes in my Greenbean Leef/KT4 build, overheating the cells to thermal runaway is not something I am remotely concerned about, at least not with that lamp.
I purchased them directly from the maker of these lights and I did not see that warning. I use Philips 7027 (12V 50W) and I can run it until the battery dies - when it gets very hot I have to put it on the ground and continue the test. 50W is just the "basic" version of this light. I have seen people using Osram 64663 (36V 400W) bulb in it, with 10 x 18650 batteries, tested over 10,000 lumens. Maglite or Surefire hosts are simply not in the same level. Of course you have to pay attention to the safety problems (glass lens or battery explosion...:huh:). A 50W Halogen bulb in my opinion is safe and practical. Anyway these were discontinued many years ago. Just sharing some funny stuff in the incandescent light history.

131917uutsltzkkciorlu5.jpg

Photo from the internet.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty amazing output from a 6 dollar lamp, but it takes a lot of support, swapping 10 cells? There are more compact ways to get to 10K lumens, wonder what the advantage is for halogen over HID, I am sure there must be a reason for it.