• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

M2R Pro owners - what do you think

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Has anyone received their M2R Pro yet? If so, what do you think?
Please post your thoughts and pictures.

I ordered mine during the Halloween sale and it should be with me on Monday!

LRJ88

Enlightened
Everyone I know is avoiding this model. It only can work with Olight's proprietary 21700 that costs $27. The light won't even turn on with a standard cell.

Looks like any cell with both polarities on the + end would work, that could be a pretty simple modification.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone I know is avoiding this model. It only can work with Olight's proprietary 21700 that costs $27. The light won't even turn on with a standard cell.

That is a bummer.... I should have waited before I pulled the trigger. I'm going to enjoy the light regardless but from now on I am going to avoid them if it looks like the customised battery is inserted with the top toward the light without being a double walled light... those seem to be the clues.

I wonder why they didn't go with the double wall design... cost?

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
That is a bummer.... I should have waited before I pulled the trigger. I'm going to enjoy the light regardless but from now on I am going to avoid them if it looks like the customised battery is inserted with the top toward the light without being a double walled light... those seem to be the clues.

I wonder why they didn't go with the double wall design... cost?

The M2R Pro is a weapon light and Olight wanted to keep the battery tube diameter compatible with 1 inch weapon mounts but use a 21700. To do so the double wall battery tube had to go. This also necessitated the use of a custom battery to make the light function. The +/- end must be towards the head which means standard batteries will not even light the light. Sucks but it's the way it is.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder, that makes sense - needing to keep it compatible with the weapon mounts.

I have had the light for over a week now and in general, I am impressed. Still forming my full thoughts around the light so not ready to post anything resembling a review - might do that in a few days.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a single exception, I really like mine. I feel like the "battery issue" is absolutely a non-starter. The only thing that makes me reach for my New P12 over this light is the emitter temp; I much prefer the cooler white of the Nitecore over the neutral of this Olight.

bdogps

Enlightened
I don't mind the light it's nice. The only thing that I don't like is the holster that it comes with. I tried different ways to keep it from turning on accidentally but not luck. I know it has a lock out feature but I cannot keep it in that mode since I do need it to turn on when I reach for it. The battery part is a deal breaker and wouldn't have bought it if I researched this more thoroughly. The camo version is nice.

SKV89

Enlightened
I bought the Olight M2R Pro Warrior during their BF sale and I am extremely impressed. Olight is like the Apple of flashlights. Incredible built quality and feels like a high end product but does not push the limits as hard as some of the budget brands. This is the most well built, most refined flashlight I have seen to date. You just have to hold it in your hands to appreciate it. The Olight optic is also amazing in this light. It focuses the light into one large hotspot with very dim but wide spill. Although the hotspot is twice as large as similar sized lights with reflectors such as the Fenix PD36R (also an excellent light), it appears to be more intense and throws slightly farther from my visual observation, which is simply amazing. Olight's driver efficiency is also the best out there and I'm impressed with the run time graphs I see for this light. My lumen tube also proves who stable Olight driver regulates output.
Here are some measurements I took at 2s:

Turbo, 1948 lumens, 4908K, DUV 0.0099, CRI 66.6, R9 -46, R12 36.9, Rf 66, Rg 94
2nd highest, 735 lumens, 4796K, DUV 0.0127, CRI 66.4, R9 -49.4, R12 35.3
3rd highest, 237 lumens, 4713K, DUV 0.014, CRI 66.6,

The light is rated at 1800 lumens and it's been my experience with every Olight that they measure higher lumens than their rated spec eventhough my lumen tube calibration normally measures lower than other folks on BLF.

The only thing I don't like about this light is the tint being too far above the BBL (positive DUV = green). Olight decided to dedome the XHP35 HD instead of using an XHP35 HI probably for the reason to obtain higher lumens from a higher bin HD emitter but dedoming results in warmer CCT and higher DUV (green). Because I'm a tint snob, I will not be EDCing this one but for those who don't notice or are not bothered by greenish tint, this is likely the best EDC out there.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
I bought 4 of these as gifts as I mentioned in another thread. One was for me. They were the camo version. At first I thought the magnetic attachment for charging was very cool and kind of modern. It was a nice light. The control button wasn't the best. After a week it stopped working. I emailed Olightstore.com from whom I purchased them and they said there was an issued and all had to be returned. I sent them back and finally got a refund minus a few bucks for shipping, after I opened a case with Paypal and escalated it to a claim.

SKV89

Enlightened
I bought 4 of these as gifts as I mentioned in another thread. One was for me. They were the camo version. At first I thought the magnetic attachment for charging was very cool and kind of modern. It was a nice light. The control button wasn't the best. After a week it stopped working. I emailed Olightstore.com from whom I purchased them and they said there was an issued and all had to be returned. I sent them back and finally got a refund minus a few bucks for shipping, after I opened a case with Paypal and escalated it to a claim.

No need to open Paypal case. Olight was very easy to work with. I told them I want the two I bought replaced and they sent me a free shipping label. They also sent me two black loaners that I can choose to keep at 50% of the original price so I bought those. Great gift lights. Also the build quality is top notch. Unfortunate there was a firmware problem that can be triggered by certain button combinations but after its fixed, the M2R Pro is like the highest quality 21700 EDC out there if you are not a tint snob like me.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
No need to open Paypal case. Olight was very easy to work with. I told them I want the two I bought replaced and they sent me a free shipping label. They also sent me two black loaners that I can choose to keep at 50% of the original price so I bought those. Great gift lights. Also the build quality is top notch. Unfortunate there was a firmware problem that can be triggered by certain button combinations but after its fixed, the M2R Pro is like the highest quality 21700 EDC out there if you are not a tint snob like me.

appreciate your input. I liked the light. I really liked how it charged. I've used PayPal since near its inception and am a prolific buyer and seller of all things cool. Have bought and sold probably 50k in Canon and Nikon gear on a forum called POTN. I have impeccable feedback as my reputation is crucial to me. I've purchased 2 gatlights here among knives etc.

in close to 15 years using PayPal this is only the second time I've done that. it did not hurt them to my knowledge but it protected my over $400 purchase and I wanted a modicum of security in ensuring a refund. They did not refund in full. In fact they deducted shipping from each order. PayPal told me on the phone they were not allowed to do so and they would not permit them to. I did not complain about it. So it cost me about $25, no biggie.

I just purchased another zebralight and it is very good. Now that I found out protected cells don't work in it.

The 21700 is the future. New car designs like the Tesla Model 3 use the 21700 and they will soon show up in battery powered tools, etc. The high energy capacity and high current capacity (without compromising the cell for high current) make it perfect for 3000 lumen lights.