L4 or L5 for night walks?

DimBeam

Enlightened
I walk approx. 45 minutes almost every night in a nice but dark neighborhood. Which light (L4 or L5) is best suited? Or is it more sensible to go with a rechargable?

leng

Newly Enlightened
I use my L5 for dog walks it has more 'throw' and doesnt get hot like the L4 does if you use it for extended periods like you mentioned.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I'd advise getting ar re-chargeable! My L4 has a runtime of about 1.5 hours, so you'd be changing batteries every other day at $2-$3 a pop (if you have cheap batteries).

Take a look at the SL Stinger.

Deanster

Enlightened
rechargable - L4 would be great, but it does go through batteries, and it does get mighty hot after a few minutes continuous use... Perhaps L5 with Pila?

I don't know if something like an X5 would suffice - LOTS better runtime, at the expense of a somewhat puny beam.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello DimBeam,

In true CPF form, get both of them...

I think either one would work well for your purpose. I believe Jon Burly can set you up with Pila rechargeables for either one. I have the Pila 168S in my L4 and it gives me 55 minutes of run time.

Tom

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
Ever since I've gotten the L5, my dog walks have gone from 15 minutes to 30 minutes every night! I really like the throw of the L5, and the surrounding flood is impressive. There's a nice bright hot spot and an impressive overspill. I've been looking for an L4 forever and it seems that the usual people I buy from are all out...

Go with either, or in true CPF fashion go with both. You won't be dissapointed with either choice. They are impressive bright lights that you will have LOTS of fun with. I also agree with the Pila Rechargeables. They will definitely be my next investment.

stockwiz

Enlightened
For rechargable lights, there are a couple possiblities... An Arc LS modified with a luxeon 3 running at 667 ma using a TSP-2AA pack, you'd have a bright light with excellent throw that is very durable with a runtime of a good 1.5 hours using two 2300 mah rechargable batteries. You could take your walk and throw the batteries in the charger to top them off daily. They'd pay for themselves quick. Modified arcs run about the same price as an L4 on a lower priced website and can be had occasionally here in the forums without much trouble.

Electolumens FT-3C lights also provide a great beam with excellent throw for an excellent price, about $60... if you don't mind the larger size, although they are about the smallest 3C cell lights you'll find.. very usuable and not at all bulky for a walk of this sort. Again you could use rechargables and every two days or so top them off.

Or just take the L4 or L5 with pilas, although I'm not sure how long a 5 watt luxeon would last you given the frequency of your walks (rated 500 hours to 50% brightness), surefire has a lifetime warrenty on them anyways.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Hi DimBeam:

As others have mentioned, the L5 has a bit more throw vs the L4. Both run great on Pila 168Ss.

In summary:
L4 - smaller, but gets hot quicker - more sidespill
L5 - larger, but cooler - still very good sidespill

I think you can't go wrong with either one.

You mention a "dark area," but will there be ambient light? Or dark dark? I'm asking because I find that both the L4 and L5 don't throw as well (for me) in fairly brightly lit roads--in my neighbourhood, the streetlamps are bright and plentiful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Of the two, I recommend the L5. The L4 was designed for intermittent use, while the L5, with it's increased mass and surface area, is better for constant use.

I agree that rechargeable batteries are a good idea. I run the KL5 on four AA NiMH batteries. Use the 9P body with three A19 battery extenders and two 2AA tube spacers. I also use the N4, R60 and KL3 this way.

oldgrandpajack

Kabible

Enlightened
SL Stinger is going to be the most convenient light for your specific use. Up to 1 hour runtime. Impressive throw & side spill. The new SL Scion should give similar performance in a smaller package. Both recharge in a docking clamp.

However, the FT3C has become my favorite night walking light. It runs for ever on NiMH Cs. Throw is equal to the Stinger. Not as much side spill. Beam color is very white.
Brian

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
A modified Arc LS using 2NiMH would be a great walking light. The L5 is the next consideration. It puts out considerably more light than a modified Arc LS but it's also bigger. I highly recommend against the L4. Just a few minutes will get that thing real hot. An L5 can sustain long runs and remain reasonably warm. Go buy rechargeable Pila's from JS Burly's, along with a charger. Though the initial outlay is high, it will pay for itself in the long run. If you want even longer runtimes, you can ream out the inside of the L5 body to accept 168a Pila's (1800mAH vs 1400mAH for 168s).

I don't advocate bare Li-Ions but I use 2000mAH Panasonic 18650 size Li-Ions in several of my lights. After almost a year of using Li-Ions, I'll never go back to 123's except in emergencies.

Topper

Flashaholic*
How about the L5 with 2 A19's & 2 A14's and 2 B65's if you want a club, or 1 Pila 168s if you do not want or need the extra reach.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
How about the L5 with 2 A19's & 2 A14's and 2 B65's if you want a club, or 1 Pila 168s if you do not want or need the extra reach.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Two B65's would be almost 12 volts, and would kill your KL5.
oldgrandpajack

Topper

Flashaholic*
oldgrandpajack,It has not killed it yet,I admit it is a bit overboard but it works---so far. Thank you for the warning I will cease and desist. I run a KT1/6P/2A19's/2A14's/2 B65's with A MN60 lamp. I have not hurt it yet but if thats a bad thing please let me know I am always up for training & instruction. I have never had any luck with recharge AA's
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
oldgrandpajack, I will see then I will send A PM. I got to charge up and its bedtime as I start work early. Do not want to hijack this thread. I still like the L5 over the L4 my L6 is not an option as the question was L4 VS L5. Too bad the L6 takes names and kicks----well you know.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JanCPF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
[snip]
I highly recommend against the L4. Just a few minutes will get that thing real hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite agree with you there CM. I'm using my L4 almost every night (when I'm not using your great KL1 mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif) for 1-1½ hours walking with it, and it has now been running for 50 hours. It wont get hot at all if you walk with it, and mine has maintained 100 % output.

That said, I think however that I would prefer just a little more throw for night walks, so I've preordered the U2 which I assume has about the same throw as L5. I just pray for a good runtime on the Pilas. If the U2 hadn't been announced I would have bought the L5.

Jan

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to hear from you Jan. Anyway, a little air movement will take a some of the heat off. Guess I never took that into consideration since my L4 use is when I'm *stationary*. But, you still must walk pretty fast to keep that thing cool, eh?

richpalm

Banned
Well.... I had an L4 and sold it off 'cause the thing got so hot. Enough that I wouldn't use it for extended periods.

L5 for me would be redundant so no experience there.

My ultimate walking light so far is a KL3 modded with a nice white R2H. NX-05 optic. (the original purple emitter was useless-I have bad night vision.) I put the KL3 on a G2-nice and comfortable.

Of course I carry a scorcher incan in case Mr. Personality dalmation down the street gets funny-usually Tigerlight with a belt loop. I don't mind the size to feel safer.

Hope this helps.

Rich