Diffusers on horizon??

klackey

Enlightened
So, last year we had many colors to choose from. Just hopeful something is in the works. Would love to get somthing to spread out the hotspot for close indoor use.

Also, I thought I recall some "hint" of some new products that were HDS with a makeover.... same guts but a "new look / feel" ?

Just trying to budget.... :) :)

And to all others.... What would you like to see HDS make for a diffuser....

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once I discovered the water bottle cap trick, I was honestly out of the market for a diffuser. Extremely inexpensive, easily added or removed on the fly. It can transform any hds into a flood light without making a permanent change. It creates a very smooth, even beam as well.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Once I discovered the water bottle cap trick, I was honestly out of the market for a diffuser. Extremely inexpensive, easily added or removed on the fly. It can transform any hds into a flood light without making a permanent change. It creates a very smooth, even beam as well.

Because I never get tired of seeing cheap and simple solutions ...

jjGjQof.jpg

klackey

Enlightened
Keep ideas comming.....

I have used the bottle cap technique for decades, on Surefire… then forgot about it. Read the post then dug in the trash for a cap. Pushed it on and stepped into the dark room for a quick test. It is a no go on my HDS.

Bottle cap issues:
When attached it covers my tritium inserts on the bezel....At night is when I would like both.

Also, the light coming from the sides of the cap is intolerable.. blinds me. I want the light going where I am pointing it not everywhere. I could tape off the sides to block the light but now this seems like way more effort for a temporary bottle cap.

The bottle cap/tape seems like a very non-elegant fix for a quality tool.

I am glade it works for some of you...….. just not what I am looking for.

I am looking for the "wall" of light like out of my BOSS 35/70 triple but with a HDS rotary control. The BOSS is great/fun but I trust my HDS lights.

Currently thinking an Executive/ Rotary/ NB45/ Tritium Ti bezel with a diffused reflector for bedside/ house light. :)

Just looking for a diffused reflector ideas.... liked the colored ones from last year just was not quick enough.

Last edited:

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I use DC fix...stick it to piece of stiff, clear plastic then trace around a dime, follow the trace with scissors and leave a little nub so I can pull it off the lens if wanted. Just kind of push it into the bezel...it holds itself in there just fine and no adhesive gets on your lens.

Also...They're not made anymore and hard to come by but a SureFire F01 diffuser fits perfectly.

klackey

Enlightened
What is "DC fix" ?

I have a few of the surefire F01 also but they add bulk and cover the trit bezel.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the bottle cap, Surefire F01 and dc-fix.

The bottle cap is my backup but does have the drawback mentioned above by Klackey.

The Surfire works best but is a harder to find and with holster use means my light goes tailcap first, which isn't my preference.

The Dc-fix is not as easy to put on and take off but is how I use my EDC light- Rotary NLT. The beam is better blended for edc and I find if I'm going anywhere that needs the extra range, I tend to bring a thrower.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I use the same Fenix diffusers mentioned above by WarriorOfLight, and at about 5 bucks each, they're a great value. I got a handful of them a while back, along with a traffic wand, and am very happy with them.

They're made of a very hard plastic that is very durable, and supposed to be temperature resistant.

I lit the porch up with them when I was handing out Halloween candy. I use them on the small tail standers as lamps when camping or during a power outage. They've eliminated the need for a work-light on a cord in my garage.

And as a bonus, the small fits a mini-Maglite, and the large fits D / C Maglites.

Sff3CDi.jpg

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore makes a bunch of 1" diffusers and wands that fit the HDS too.
I also have a Nitecore Diffucer. I guess it is the NDF25. The thing I do not like on this diffuser is it is not "milky" enough. For me it is far to transparent. Therefore I prefer the Fenix Diffuser.
When I have time I can post a compare picture between the Fenix and Nitecore Diffuser.

@all
Also the Surefire F01 Diffuser and the FM54 fits perfect, but at least the FM54 was always expensive!

I guess I also need to "hunt" for a 1" Bottle Cap. But since Europe is more metric, that is not that easy?

wweiss

Enlightened
So, last year we had many colors to choose from. Just hopeful something is in the works. Would love to get somthing to spread out the hotspot for close indoor use.

Also, I thought I recall some "hint" of some new products that were HDS with a makeover.... same guts but a "new look / feel" ?

wweiss

Enlightened

I read last year the HDS may have a "90% Diffuse Reflector" of some type coming on line. I'm not sure of the details but perhaps Hogo can clarify this? I, too would like a diffuser option as it is a much better beam for closer / headlamp type work.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I collected there all Information About al of the GTID reflectors from 2018: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...stems-EDC-22&p=5343298&viewfull=1#post5343298

I have all of them and even if most of them are only advertised as "90% diffuse" the beam does not really has a hotspot. I have the Feeling it is more 95% to almost 100% diffuse... Only the Firefly is a 100% diffuse reflector due to the sand paper structure of the reflector.

Maybe this helped?

Sos24

Enlightened
I have the Fenix diffuser, but also use and prefer ZenToes white toe caps. They work about the same as the Fenix diffuser, but are made of a soft gel material. You can trim it to whatever length desired and it stays on real well.