Acebeam        

Thread: Diffusers on horizon??

Default Diffusers on horizon??

So, last year we had many colors to choose from. Just hopeful something is in the works. Would love to get somthing to spread out the hotspot for close indoor use.

Also, I thought I recall some "hint" of some new products that were HDS with a makeover.... same guts but a "new look / feel" ?

Just trying to budget....

And to all others.... What would you like to see HDS make for a diffuser....

Default Re: Diffusers on horizon??

Once I discovered the water bottle cap trick, I was honestly out of the market for a diffuser. Extremely inexpensive, easily added or removed on the fly. It can transform any hds into a flood light without making a permanent change. It creates a very smooth, even beam as well.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Once I discovered the water bottle cap trick, I was honestly out of the market for a diffuser. Extremely inexpensive, easily added or removed on the fly. It can transform any hds into a flood light without making a permanent change. It creates a very smooth, even beam as well.
    Because I never get tired of seeing cheap and simple solutions ...

... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Because I never get tired of seeing cheap and simple solutions ...
    If I recall, you're the one who first shared the idea with me, Arch.

Cheers
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    If I recall, you're the one who first shared the idea with me, Arch.

Cheers
    Hahaha, wouldn't surprise me in the least ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

My solution is the Fenix ADO-S, even if this solution is not that cheap like the one that Archimedes has:
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Nitecore makes a bunch of 1” diffusers and wands that fit the HDS too.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

Keep ideas comming.....

I have used the bottle cap technique for decades, on Surefire… then forgot about it. Read the post then dug in the trash for a cap. Pushed it on and stepped into the dark room for a quick test. It is a no go on my HDS.

Bottle cap issues:
    When attached it covers my tritium inserts on the bezel....At night is when I would like both.

Also, the light coming from the sides of the cap is intolerable.. blinds me. I want the light going where I am pointing it not everywhere. I could tape off the sides to block the light but now this seems like way more effort for a temporary bottle cap.

The bottle cap/tape seems like a very non-elegant fix for a quality tool.

I am glade it works for some of you...….. just not what I am looking for.

I am looking for the "wall" of light like out of my BOSS 35/70 triple but with a HDS rotary control. The BOSS is great/fun but I trust my HDS lights.

Currently thinking an Executive/ Rotary/ NB45/ Tritium Ti bezel with a diffused reflector for bedside/ house light.

Just looking for a diffused reflector ideas.... liked the colored ones from last year just was not quick enough.
    Last edited by klackey; 11-03-2019 at 01:57 PM.

DC Fix?
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

I use DC fix...stick it to piece of stiff, clear plastic then trace around a dime, follow the trace with scissors and leave a little nub so I can pull it off the lens if wanted. Just kind of push it into the bezel...it holds itself in there just fine and no adhesive gets on your lens.

Also...They’re not made anymore and hard to come by but a SureFire F01 diffuser fits perfectly.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

What is "DC fix" ?

I have a few of the surefire F01 also but they add bulk and cover the trit bezel.
    Last edited by klackey; 11-03-2019 at 02:30 PM.

A diffusing film you place over the lens.
    Here's a link or three, there used to be someone on here that sold small amounts, I'm sure you could find him if you search.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...uctions-w-pics

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?222233-Awsome-diffuser-material!-Now-with-comparison-photo

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ion-Film-(LDF)

P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 11-03-2019 at 04:03 PM.

I used the bottle cap, Surefire F01 and dc-fix.

The bottle cap is my backup but does have the drawback mentioned above by Klackey.

The Surfire works best but is a harder to find and with holster use means my light goes tailcap first, which isn’t my preference.

The Dc-fix is not as easy to put on and take off but is how I use my EDC light- Rotary NLT. The beam is better blended for edc and I find if I’m going anywhere that needs the extra range, I tend to bring a thrower.

Flashaholic

I use the same Fenix diffusers mentioned above by WarriorOfLight, and at about 5 bucks each, they're a great value. I got a handful of them a while back, along with a traffic wand, and am very happy with them.

They're made of a very hard plastic that is very durable, and supposed to be temperature resistant.

I lit the porch up with them when I was handing out Halloween candy. I use them on the small tail standers as lamps when camping or during a power outage. They've eliminated the need for a work-light on a cord in my garage.

And as a bonus, the small fits a mini-Maglite, and the large fits D / C Maglites.

Last edited by Guitar Guy; 11-03-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Minescence View Post
    Nitecore makes a bunch of 1” diffusers and wands that fit the HDS too.
    I also have a Nitecore Diffucer. I guess it is the NDF25. The thing I do not like on this diffuser is it is not "milky" enough. For me it is far to transparent. Therefore I prefer the Fenix Diffuser.
    When I have time I can post a compare picture between the Fenix and Nitecore Diffuser.

@all
    Also the Surefire F01 Diffuser and the FM54 fits perfect, but at least the FM54 was always expensive!

I guess I also need to "hunt" for a 1" Bottle Cap. But since Europe is more metric, that is not that easy?

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post
    So, last year we had many colors to choose from. Just hopeful something is in the works. Would love to get somthing to spread out the hotspot for close indoor use.

Also, I thought I recall some "hint" of some new products that were HDS with a makeover.... same guts but a "new look / feel" ?

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post

I read last year the HDS may have a "90% Diffuse Reflector" of some type coming on line. I'm not sure of the details but perhaps Hogo can clarify this? I, too would like a diffuser option as it is a much better beam for closer / headlamp type work.

Flashaholic*

I collected there all Information About al of the GTID reflectors from 2018: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5343298

I have all of them and even if most of them are only advertised as "90% diffuse" the beam does not really has a hotspot. I have the Feeling it is more 95% to almost 100% diffuse... Only the Firefly is a 100% diffuse reflector due to the sand paper structure of the reflector.

Maybe this helped?

Sure does - thank you!
    Think anyone here has one for sale?

I have the Fenix diffuser, but also use and prefer ZenToes white toe caps. They work about the same as the Fenix diffuser, but are made of a soft gel material. You can trim it to whatever length desired and it stays on real well.

Thanks for the tip...

The AA Mag used to come with a color lens kit with rubber adapter that fits a 1" light.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

Speaking of diffusers I'm sitting in the living room surfing candlepower a few minutes ago and my 7yr old daughter strolls up and asks if I can make her AAA maglight red? And proceeds to open a little spy book from the book fair to a page where it describes red lights for night adjusted eyes..Daddy is proud! And her maglight is now red diffused.

Snap, I had the kid next door borrowing a Sf red filter for secret writmg.
    Their brains at that age are something to behold.
    P

Flashaholic*

I will get 4 Surefire F04 and one F05 very soon. Found a source having them still in stock. If I have luck on Saturday I have the filters.