Help fitting a Malkoff drop-in in a SolarForce L2M

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I'd try my M361N in my Solarforce L2M and discovered that the module rattled and made an inconsistent electrical connection. So I added a spring and then couldn't put the head back together.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just the case that I need a cut-down spring if I want to use a Malkoff drop-in in a Solarforce L2M head?

--flatline

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have also used an O-ring on top of Dropins. It works. They also sell a metal ring as well. Acts like a spacer. I use one in a solarforce head with a Malkoffs in it.

Malkoffs sells a Fitting Ring.Its for shock bezel but pretty sure that also works.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, so I need a spacer on top of the module (o-ring or fitting ring) but no spring on the bottom.

I see the fitting ring on Malkoff's site for $1, but it'll have to wait until I have a larger order...$9 shipping for a $1 ring isn't going to happen...

Thanks!

--flatline

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes. I have one solarforce head that I had to put a metal ring in. I got that from solarforce. But before that I just used a decent size o-ring on top of the M61. It pushes the Dropin down and lets it make contact.

Strintguy

Enlightened
I took my bezel into the hardware store and found the o-ring that fit well on the inside edge, very inexpensive solution

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes it is. Just keep in mind your not going to get the thermal conductivity and heat sinking with an O-ring then you would with a metal ring. I doubt it makes the slightest difference unless you are right on the edge of getting to hot but it's something to think about. I run A M61W in a solarforce head like this and works like a charm. Nice cushion between the drop in and the lens as well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The SolarForce head is a bit deeper than the SureFire one and Gene designed things around the SureFire one.

Some have used that extra spring that comes on SolarForce, Vital Gear and other drop in modules, the one that fits over the attached spring. One guy mentioned using a C-clip in his between the lens and drop in. I bought the little $2 Scout head adapter from Gene when making a purchase of another item but a big ole thick o'ring around size 16 or so can do the same thing. If you have a farm equipment store in your town they probably sell o'rings single or in small packs.
You simply stuff it between the lens and the drop in (like others said) and things should work normal.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Solarforce L2D and found that a 1 1/16" o-ring with 3/32" width was sufficient to get a solid electrical contact in the head. I have not tried the same in my L2M head yet.

thanks for your help, CPF!

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is. Just keep in mind your not going to get the thermal conductivity and heat sinking with an O-ring then you would with a metal ring. I doubt it makes the slightest difference unless you are right on the edge of getting to hot but it's something to think about. I run A M61W in a solarforce head like this and works like a charm. Nice cushion between the drop in and the lens as well.

I was thinking about this. The module doesn't transfer heat through the o-ring, but since the back of the module is making metal-metal contact to the tube to have an electrical connection to the body, it can probably transmit heat to the body that way as well.

--flatline

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or wrap it with copper foil tape for the heat transfer

md17

Newly Enlightened
I have also used an O-ring on top of Dropins. It works. They also sell a metal ring as well. Acts like a spacer. I use one in a solarforce head with a Malkoffs in it.

Malkoffs sells a Fitting Ring.Its for shock bezel but pretty sure that also works.
Hello. Where would I get a metal fitting ring for this same issue?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Metal? Not sure who has them anymore. But the " plastic." Ones that malkoff sells work well

md17

Newly Enlightened
Ah this. Ok. I have a metal fitting ring, but the solarforce head won't screw down all the way.

Attachments

• IMG_4988.png
    IMG_4988.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

md17

Newly Enlightened
Metal? Not sure who has them anymore. But the " plastic." Ones that malkoff sells work well
So I tried several different O-rings, and they kept the head from moving, but they caused the light to only work intermittently. So I use the metal spacer that I have and it just leaves a small gap between the head and the body. I guess that will have to do.