ArmyTek        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a keychain light everyone loves?

Default Re: Is there a keychain light everyone loves?

Sofirn C01S: Luminus SST-20 LED CCT 4.000K, 95CRI.

McGizmo Sapphire 25 - Yuji High CRI 3200K.

Quote Originally Posted by youngster View Post
    For someone like me who is bothered by the scratches and wear that accompanies a cheap keychain light, what material holds up best in that regard? .... Is titanium the way to go? Or perhaps a copper one ... ? I would think stainless steel would hold up better than all of them, but it is kinda heavy.
    I've had keyring flashlights in ... plastic, aluminum, brass, copper, steel, and titanium ... coated and uncoated.

Most durable and scratch-resistant = stainless steel, no contest (apart from exotic coatings, like DLC over Ti)

They all have pros and cons, though. Some of these (eg, weight issues, heatsinking, etc) are of limited impact given the small size and output of most keyring items.

• plastic
    (+) lightweight and cheap
    (-) appearance
    (-) fragility

• aluminum
    (+) lightweight / cheap (for metal)
    (+) anodizing for color / durability
    (-) obvious scratches and wear (especially Type II finishes)

• brass
    (+) very smooth threads
    (+) appearance
    (+/-) patina
    (-) heavy

• copper
    (+) appearance
    (-/+) patina
    (-) very heavy
    (-) soft and easily dented

• steel (generally stainless)
    (+) durable and scratch-resistant
    (-) heavy

• titanium
    (+) very durable yet lightweight
    (+) appearance (including color anodizing)
    (+) can accept high-end coating(s)
    (+) can be refinished pretty easily
    (-) easily scratched (surface)
    (-) gritty threads
    (-) expensive
    Last edited by archimedes; 11-05-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Thumbs up Re: Is there a keychain light everyone loves?

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I've had keyring flashlights in ... plastic, aluminum, brass, copper, steel, and titanium ... coated and uncoated.

Most durable and scratch-resistant = stainless steel, no contest (apart from exotic coatings, like DLC over Ti)

They all have pros and cons, though. Some of these (eg, weight issues, heatsinking, etc) are of limited impact given the small size and output of most keyring items.

• plastic
    (+) lightweight and cheap
    (-) appearance
    (-) fragility

• aluminum
    (+) lightweight / cheap (for metal)
    (+) anodizing for color / durability
    (-) obvious scratches and wear (especially Type II finishes)

• brass
    (+) very smooth threads
    (+) appearance
    (+/-) patina
    (-) heavy

• copper
    (+) appearance
    (-/+) patina
    (-) very heavy
    (-) soft and easily dented

• steel (generally stainless)
    (+) durable and scratch-resistant
    (-) heavy

• titanium
    (+) very durable yet lightweight
    (+) appearance (including color anodizing)
    (+) can accept high-end coating(s)
    (+) can be refinished pretty easily
    (-) easily scratched (surface)
    (-) gritty threads
    (-) expensive
    Thanks for that feedback. Extremely helpful to me. I will be focusing on stainless steel, not worrying so much about weight because these keychain lights are extremely small anyway.

Not sure if they are still available but the Peak Eiger 10180 is as tough as they come. Fully potted head and SS.

Quote Originally Posted by youngster View Post
    Thanks for that feedback. Extremely helpful to me. I will be focusing on stainless steel, not worrying so much about weight because these keychain lights are extremely small anyway.
    Until I lost it my Fenix LD01SS was built like a tank after 10 years banging around in my pocket with change and keys I had a chapstick cap over the end to protect the glass lens the rest of the light looked like the same as it had 9 years ago. Stainless will lose a little of it shininess but not show scratches that other lights will have looking like well worn after a month or two. Stainless is a LOT heavier than aluminum such that I think the extra weight on my keychain contributed to me wearing out the ignition lock of my car quicker.
    If I could afford it I would get another 3 mode stainless LED AAA light as my Lumintop tool AAA looks well worn after just a few months but for the price the tool AAA is not a bad light to get until you can afford something better.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

One that "everyone" loves?
    Probably not.
    Tastes vary, needs vary and budgets too.

I gave away a few little Energizer numbers that look like a mini phaser that puts out around 20 fairly diffused lumens and the recipients loved them. Polished alluminum chassis. Simple on/off that is touch activated yet has no button. Great for lighting dark steps.

My keychain for work has a tiny little laser pointer/light combo that only weighs a few grams but lights a keyhole just dandy. In my pocket is a number that lights up 50 feet in front of me that is a keychain light but is too big in my view.

Some folks need power and lots of it.
    John 3:16

I see the keys there in the background but I really want to see the pocket or belt that this one clips on to?!

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    One that "everyone" loves?
    Probably not.
    Tastes vary, needs vary and budgets too.

I gave away a few little Energizer numbers that look like a mini phaser that puts out around 20 fairly diffused lumens and the recipients loved them. Polished alluminum chassis. Simple on/off that is touch activated yet has no button. Great for lighting dark steps.

My keychain for work has a tiny little laser pointer/light combo that only weighs a few grams but lights a keyhole just dandy. In my pocket is a number that lights up 50 feet in front of me that is a keychain light but is too big in my view.

Some folks need power and lots of it.

Last edited by KG_Tuning; 11-07-2019 at 03:26 AM.
    MS18, X70, MS12, X80-GT, DX80, X45vn, k75, D18, MF01S, D4SV2 - My Lumen whore Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/c/FLASHAHOLICS_GB

No. I don't have a light on my keychain.

Yep. The arc AAA.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

To me, the ARC aaa is a true classic that is now seen as a stone aged tool.

Yet like the 57 Ford T-bird there was a time when Baker St was flooded with them. I keep my ARC stashed away for special occasions kinda like my neighbor has his T-bird tucked safely away to ensure on those special occasions, that in all of its charm it causes folks to grin when they see it.

At some point the Fenix E01 became a sort of modern day ARC aaa and it too became a has been lighting tool as progress moved the ball forward. My favorite purple E01 was confiscated by Mrs. Fixer who keeps it handy for lighting up small print or view small details in her craft making stuff.

So then there was this so called Sofirn C01 Yuji, where all of the virtues of an ARC aaa and Fenix E01 remained but the things people disliked about them were replaced with a nice beam and a choice of a neutral or warm tint. They were a special project limited to 1000 units in warm or neutral so those are no longer available.

The Fenix E05 took care of a couple of issues with levels and a floody beam. The new C01 also has levels. But seemingly still lacking are rock solid durability and ability to run nearly a week on a depleted battery. I was able to squeeze light from an E01 for nearly a month from a battery that would no longer power a cordless computer mouse. One day it just quit but until that time it was in a firefly mode every night when nature called at 2am.

My daily is a 1xaaa by famous SureFire designer PK who incorparated self defense virtues in a keychain light. With a microstream clip it acts as a ballcap light that can tailstand. The finish has held up well on the PVD coated version(s) and the uncoated polished silver ones hide scratches very well. On the rare occasion I have misplaced my PL2 a Maglite Solitaire takes on the edc task easily with its brighter than the numbers suggest 40+ lumen output.

It's nice to have choices and this is a great time to be a flashlight fanatic.
    John 3:16

The Nitecore TIP CRI and the Surefire Titan Plus. The Nitecore TIP2 is good, but the UI is inferior to that on the TIP.

I'm a fan of nitecore tini as and top cu

None of the lights mentioned are keychain lights. A keychain light has a button battery, is flat & round-ish, with a spring loaded push switch on one side. They are light enough that it does not wear out the ignition switch on your car, while spending most of the time dangling therefrom.

The required color is a green LED; low lumens but very efficient for your eye to utilize.
    Hard to find them with a green LED anymore.

wow no love for the Fenix UC02? man this light is a killer, blows my E01 out of the water and nice twist action 2 mode... and its tiny...

this is the ss model, but there is cheaper aluminum ones

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-...language=en_US
    Last edited by LittleBill; 11-23-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    Fenix Lover - E01, UC01 (x2), UC02, LD20-R4, L2D, LD22, TK40, HP11(x2),HP30R,CL30R,UC35v2,E18R,HL60R, Nitecore HC65, UltraFire C3 (x2), MiniMag with TLE-5EX dropin

Its funny how different lights come in and go out of vogue.

Years ago, I carried a streamlight nano. They were all the rage! I wouldn't recommend it on a bet.
    As the paint wore off, I went with the... it adds character mindset. Within a year... it had LOTS of character

I then went with a Thrunite Ti a AAA number that is still on my son's key chain, but a little big for me.

I like small. One key will open any door, and dead-bolt in my house, and even a padlock so that I don't have to carry multiple keys and bulk up my pocket.
    So I went with a CNQ stainless AAA light. It's a twisty it and the 4sevens Atom were the smallest AAA lights at the time, maybe still.

I was gifted a coo yoo Quantum by a friend overseas and have never looked back. I did get one of those key fob sized Manker's. Great light, and fine for the ladies who carry a handbag, but too large for key chain in the pocket carry for me.

My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    Olight i3E. Its a very small ( AAA) dedicated key chain light, $9, great quality & construction, single mode, very good reviews.

I have gifted the Olight i3E to a couple of people and they love them.
    Now free if you pay $5 s/h.

https://www.olightstore.com/i3e-gift.html

Quote Originally Posted by majid View Post
    The Nitecore TIP CRI and the Surefire Titan Plus. The Nitecore TIP2 is good, but the UI is inferior to that on the TIP.
    How is the UI better on the TIP than the TIP2? The main difference that I noticed is the lack of lockout on the TIP2, but I could just leave it in demo mode to shut off after 30 seconds if it became an issue. ( I just ordered a TIP2)

Default Is there a keychain light everyone loves?

What about the Nitecore Thumb? I have that on my car keying and I must admit it is pretty handy with the UV LED and adjustable head angle as well. Am I OK to post a link on this forum? Apologies if not!

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/thumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mhpreston; 12-01-2019 at 01:49 PM.

I have tried several newer options, but I keep coming back to the old Quark Mini CR2. They are not made anymore, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one with a WTB.

Quote Originally Posted by KG_Tuning View Post
    Could you tell me what kind of light this is? Thank you.

This works for me. :-)

Thank you NH, I love that one.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Thank you NH, I love that one.
    P

I couldn't resist. :-0

Flashaholic*

I was not an Olight fan, but their lights are getting better.
    I really like the Olight I1R2 EOS as the head does not separate from the body to charge with a mini USB.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashKat View Post
    I was not an Olight fan, but their lights are getting better.
    I really like the Olight I1R2 EOS as the head does not separate from the body to charge with a mini USB.
    Gotta agree. Just got a couple and very impressed.

I need to add to this thread, having just got 3 new lights. The one that *doesn't* fit is an 18650 Zebralight H604d.

Two that I think should be included are the micro-sized Olight i1R 2 EOS, and the Olight S1 Mini Baton HCRI.

The i1R uses a non-removable, ***non-protected*** 10180. Yeah, I know, CPF don't like this application. But for informed users, it's very capable, with 5 lumens / 7 hours, and 130 lumens for ~15 minutes (safely). It's the size of your two pinky-finger joints, and has a nice beam color and spread. It's definitely small enough for genuine key ring use. While I will always love my ZL SC52, I'm keeping the i1R in my pocket, a first for me. The new design uses a captured rear cap, so you can't lose it. It locks out when unscrewed, so it won't ever screw itself on in your pocket.

The larger (thumb-sized) S1 Mini has an 'ok' high-CRI LED, with a beam width useful for close-up work. Better yet, it has a good moonlight mode (0.5 lumens) and 16/64/326/684 lumen steps. 326 L for 1 hour. These steps are similar to what I programmed for my SC52. Press and hold the side mount button for ML, press and hold for the next three steps, or double-click (from off, or from on) for turbo. It retains any of the last-used middle three modes for next time use. I like this better than the ZL interface. There's a 'charge me now' LED in the side button.

Anyway, that's my contribution to offset the help and knowledge I've gotten over the last 10 years.

Flashaholic

Olight 1R eos has been fantastic. The updated model you don't have to take apart to charge and is bumped from 120 to 150 max lumens. Olight 1R https://imgur.com/gallery/QPRJ6Y5
    Surefire backup, Beretta, Microtech, fanboy.
    Current EDC-Copper Toolvn-E1D-SF Titan A with clicky.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I bought a Prometheus Beta for a muggle friend, and was very impressed.
    Of the three lights I've given her, this one is the winner.
    P
    Yep, +1 on the Beta! I've had one with my keys, ... like forever. Darn light just disappears.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12