Is there a keychain light everyone loves?

youngster

Newly Enlightened
My keychain light is kaput.

I'm looking at all the choices and there are too many. Is there one out there that just about everyone loves?

I don't mind spending a little money. Quality is important to me

archimedes

Flashaholic
You are correct, there are an enormous number of choices.

Could you help us to help you, by adding a few parameters ?

Budget ? (even a range is very helpul)

Size ? (yes, keychains vary a lot in size)

Output ? (single mode, multi-mode)

Preferred battery ?

Format ? (flat, round, built-in cell, replaceable cell, built-in charger, etc)

Material ? (plastic, metal, aluminum, steel, titanium, exotic / other)

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
As someone that lost a Fenix LD01SS and couldn't replace it and my budget was tight I spent a lot of time trying to find a light that worked well enough for my needs and ended up with a Lumintop Tool AAA. It works but is nowhere near bulletproof as the fenix was and going from stainless steel to black aluminum is a big downgrade for me plus the clicky switch is a little quirky but the good side is 120 lumen output is a lot more useful than the 60-80 lumen fenix output plus the updated emitter has longer runtime at low and medium modes but the attachment point is lousy it interferes some with the clicky. I've looked at other lights with metal push button type electronic switches and they have their issues sometimes too. Clickies are more easy to change modes but a well designed twisty can remove chances of accidental operation although I have turned on my Fenix before it was rare over the 8 years I had it.
There are lights that can use lithium ion batteries but with any chance of accidental operation I don't want to chance one heating up in my pocket running at 300-500 lumens can make for a lot of heat and when they come on when you have your hands full or in a tight spot working you may have to wait a few minutes so you can turn them off.
1AAA is my preferred keychain light and LSD nimh (eneloop) plus L92 lithium Energizer use is my goto. Don't even consider using alkaleaks in a quality light even though you can in an emergency that should be a last resort as one leak and you will regret ever using them.

avihsnis

Newly Enlightened
So, it should be readily apparent that i am very new, however i took a long multi-day trip down the rabbit hole this week...

I really want an OG Sofirn C01 (non-s) cool variant, 5600k iirc? Apparently i entered the game a bit too late, though.

Is there any word of an updated release of the Fenix E01 in the works?

In the meantime, i ordered the massdrop/lumintop tool AAA CU Nichia 219c, which i am very excited about, but i can't stop thinking about the E01/C01 and feel like it is an important gap in the market not being fulfilled properly.

A Fenix E01v2 with emitter and case options would be spectacular...

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mcgizmo Sapphire with Yuji 5600K led emitter. AAA lithium power supply. An amazing 5 lumen blast in a high quality titanium shell.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
I've been thinking of adding a light to my car keys, and thought about the Fenix E01. I've heard it's pretty sturdy and has potted electronics. @Bykfixer is a fan of this model and I was discussing with him a few months ago about it. It's discontinued but still can be found in some places.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Prometheus Beta for a muggle friend, and was very impressed.
Of the three lights I've given her, this one is the winner.
P

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I like the Fenix E05, E15, and E16, but I don't like lights on the keychain, just in the pocket.

I've been strongly considering the Nitecore TINI Copper.

Sos24

Enlightened
I really like the 10180 size for keychain, especially the Niteye/Jetbeam Mini1. If you go with one of Vihn's mods, it is even nicer.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a coo yoo quantum in SS on one set of keys and Nebo micro on anther . I really like form factor and UI on Nebo. Both usb rechargeable.
Nebo also has a red and green aux light. As well as a momentary turbo of 400 lumen. It has a great beam pattern for key light! I find it very useful with no issues in six months!

Vemice

Enlightened
I've been strongly considering the Nitecore TINI Copper.[/QUOTE]

The copper gives them a much more quality feel. Excellent choice.

6Nkb5yCl.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
X2 on the really sturdy Fenix E01 (if Amazon still has them), or a Maglite Solitaire. Both are key chain intended. So is a Fenix E05 that starts out about as bright as an E01 but has a medium as bright as a Solitaire and an 85 lumen high. Plus it's easier to find than an E01.

And use ultimate lithium batteries for fuel. Aside from no leaking issues they have longer runtime.

Last edited:

youngster

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestions!

One I find most compelling is the RovyVon Aurora A3. Or even better, the A4 in titanium.

Last edited:

avihsnis

Newly Enlightened
Mcgizmo Sapphire with Yuji 5600K led emitter. AAA lithium power supply. An amazing 5 lumen blast in a high quality titanium shell.

that is a very nice looking light. i just wish there was something a little more mass production so i wouldn't need to worry as much about it being lost or stolen :/

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Personally I find a 5mm based keychain light underwhelming in output even though runtime is pretty decent I'd rather have an LED and an 80+ lumen high mode plus a below 5mm max output mode for extended runtime and a 30-50 lumen medium mode is rather handy too.

desertrunner

Banned
Bought two of these Nigjtcore units for my mom and liked it so much, got me an orange one. A really good light I'm using a lot, really like it!

1595e8b408e3564a6ff33eb3578caf16.jpg

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
My biggest complaint with many of these keychain lights was the delay of the electronic switch. When I want a light on, I don't want a delay.
I don't mind a press and hold for a moonlight mode, but the first mode should come in instantly! One of the reasons I choose the Nebo. It has no delay and a useful momentary. Just my preference [emoji41]

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price it's hard to beat the thrunite ti xpl. I have a few! Plus it's super easy to swap to a higher cri xpl if you want.

I'm currently carrying the lumintop stainless worm nodded with a sst-20, though.