ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a keychain light everyone loves?

Default Is there a keychain light everyone loves?

My keychain light is kaput.

I'm looking at all the choices and there are too many. Is there one out there that just about everyone loves?

I don't mind spending a little money. Quality is important to me

Default Re: Is there a keychain light everyone loves?

You are correct, there are an enormous number of choices.

Could you help us to help you, by adding a few parameters ?

Budget ? (even a range is very helpul)

Size ? (yes, keychains vary a lot in size)

Output ? (single mode, multi-mode)

Preferred battery ?

Format ? (flat, round, built-in cell, replaceable cell, built-in charger, etc)

Material ? (plastic, metal, aluminum, steel, titanium, exotic / other)
    Last edited by archimedes; 11-03-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

As someone that lost a Fenix LD01SS and couldn't replace it and my budget was tight I spent a lot of time trying to find a light that worked well enough for my needs and ended up with a Lumintop Tool AAA. It works but is nowhere near bulletproof as the fenix was and going from stainless steel to black aluminum is a big downgrade for me plus the clicky switch is a little quirky but the good side is 120 lumen output is a lot more useful than the 60-80 lumen fenix output plus the updated emitter has longer runtime at low and medium modes but the attachment point is lousy it interferes some with the clicky. I've looked at other lights with metal push button type electronic switches and they have their issues sometimes too. Clickies are more easy to change modes but a well designed twisty can remove chances of accidental operation although I have turned on my Fenix before it was rare over the 8 years I had it.
    There are lights that can use lithium ion batteries but with any chance of accidental operation I don't want to chance one heating up in my pocket running at 300-500 lumens can make for a lot of heat and when they come on when you have your hands full or in a tight spot working you may have to wait a few minutes so you can turn them off.
    1AAA is my preferred keychain light and LSD nimh (eneloop) plus L92 lithium Energizer use is my goto. Don't even consider using alkaleaks in a quality light even though you can in an emergency that should be a last resort as one leak and you will regret ever using them.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

So, it should be readily apparent that i am very new, however i took a long multi-day trip down the rabbit hole this week...

I really want an OG Sofirn C01 (non-s) cool variant, 5600k iirc? Apparently i entered the game a bit too late, though.

Is there any word of an updated release of the Fenix E01 in the works?

In the meantime, i ordered the massdrop/lumintop tool AAA CU Nichia 219c, which i am very excited about, but i can't stop thinking about the E01/C01 and feel like it is an important gap in the market not being fulfilled properly.

A Fenix E01v2 with emitter and case options would be spectacular...

Mcgizmo Sapphire with Yuji 5600K led emitter. AAA lithium power supply. An amazing 5 lumen blast in a high quality titanium shell.

Iíve been thinking of adding a light to my car keys, and thought about the Fenix E01. Iíve heard itís pretty sturdy and has potted electronics. @Bykfixer is a fan of this model and I was discussing with him a few months ago about it. Itís discontinued but still can be found in some places.
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Flashlights are cheaper than therapy.

I bought a Prometheus Beta for a muggle friend, and was very impressed.
    Of the three lights I've given her, this one is the winner.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Flashaholic

I like the Fenix E05, E15, and E16, but I don't like lights on the keychain, just in the pocket.

I've been strongly considering the Nitecore TINI Copper.

I really like the 10180 size for keychain, especially the Niteye/Jetbeam Mini1. If you go with one of Vihnís mods, it is even nicer.

Iíve had a coo yoo quantum in SS on one set of keys and Nebo micro on anther . I really like form factor and UI on Nebo. Both usb rechargeable.
    Nebo also has a red and green aux light. As well as a momentary turbo of 400 lumen. It has a great beam pattern for key light! I find it very useful with no issues in six months!

I've been strongly considering the Nitecore TINI Copper.[/QUOTE]

The copper gives them a much more quality feel. Excellent choice.

X2 on the really sturdy Fenix E01 (if Amazon still has them), or a Maglite Solitaire. Both are key chain intended. So is a Fenix E05 that starts out about as bright as an E01 but has a medium as bright as a Solitaire and an 85 lumen high. Plus it's easier to find than an E01.

And use ultimate lithium batteries for fuel. Aside from no leaking issues they have longer runtime.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-03-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    John 3:16

Great suggestions!

One I find most compelling is the RovyVon Aurora A3. Or even better, the A4 in titanium.
    Last edited by youngster; 11-03-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Mcgizmo Sapphire with Yuji 5600K led emitter. AAA lithium power supply. An amazing 5 lumen blast in a high quality titanium shell.
    that is a very nice looking light. i just wish there was something a little more mass production so i wouldn't need to worry as much about it being lost or stolen :/

I love the Nitecore Tini because itís powerful, quite small, rechargeable, and sleek.

Personally I find a 5mm based keychain light underwhelming in output even though runtime is pretty decent I'd rather have an LED and an 80+ lumen high mode plus a below 5mm max output mode for extended runtime and a 30-50 lumen medium mode is rather handy too.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Bought two of these Nigjtcore units for my mom and liked it so much, got me an orange one. A really good light Iím using a lot, really like it!

And of course there's Peak.
    Lots to choose from, and built to last.
    P
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

My biggest complaint with many of these keychain lights was the delay of the electronic switch. When I want a light on, I donít want a delay.
    I donít mind a press and hold for a moonlight mode, but the first mode should come in instantly! One of the reasons I choose the Nebo. It has no delay and a useful momentary. Just my preference

For the price itís hard to beat the thrunite ti xpl. I have a few! Plus itís super easy to swap to a higher cri xpl if you want.

Iím currently carrying the lumintop stainless worm nodded with a sst-20, though.

While I dont carry a light on my keychain, I have one that I have always considered the ultimate one: the 3-stage Aeon mk ii

If you want something cheap for multiple keys (and even zipper pulls etc) the Nitecore Tube is a consideration.

If you don't mind a small brick on your keys the Nitecore TUP can blast 1000 lumens. Acebeam has a similar high output light, the UC15...better form factor, but it takes 2 10440 (or AAA for reduced output).

For traditional AAA stuff: Fenix E01 or E05 or Sofirn C01. Tool AAA is another.

A good higher output cylindrical twisty would be the Fenix E15 also.

What about the AAA Olight? Iíve got a couple on key rings that donít get used very often, but always seem to work well when needed. By contrast, I had a little Thrunite which failed after a couple of years and hit the bin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mhpreston View Post
    What about the AAA Olight? Iíve got a couple on key rings that donít get used very often, but always seem to work well when needed. By contrast, I had a little Thrunite which failed after a couple of years and hit the bin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I leave that on my wife's keys because she doesn't want to deal with modes, etc... Seems to hold up well after a year, just some ano wear as expected.

I just got a Fenix E01 and hate it. Tint is purple and makes me crazy. Nichia? What a joke. Second, if the head is pressed down while off, it turns on the light which makes it totally not suitable for pocket carry. In order for this not to happen, the head must be unscrewed too much, which also drives me crazy.

Maybe Iíll try the Thrunite Ti3, at least it has a neutral version and a 0.04lm firefly mode, plus 12 and 120 lumens.

Anybody has experience with the Fenix E05 tint?
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Flashlights are cheaper than therapy.

My key is on a paracord loop attached to a carbiner. My carry keychain light is a Thrunite Ti3, clipped in a cargo pocket. Also have a Prometheus Beta QRv2, and a Sofirn C01S enroute - which seems pretty stout lol:

Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 11-05-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Olight i3E. Its a very small ( AAA) dedicated key chain light, $9, great quality & construction, single mode, very good reviews.

I have gifted the Olight i3E to a couple of people and they love them.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

For someone like me who is bothered by the scratches and wear that accompanies a cheap keychain light, what material holds up best in that regard? I know my Fenix e01 and e05 both look pretty crappy after about a year in my pocket, with keys scratching away on them.

Is titanium the way to go? Or perhaps a copper one like the RovyVon A9? I would think stainless steel would hold up better than all of them, but it is kinda heavy.

Maybe a polished or brushed finish ti but stainless steel is probably the most durable shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. LED View Post
    I just got a Fenix E01 and hate it. Tint is purple and makes me crazy. Nichia? What a joke. Second, if the head is pressed down while off, it turns on the light
    The E01 is my perfect example of what a bad Low CRI LED can look like. It IS a Nichia but not a 219 version..

all twisties can be activated by pressing on the head, unless unscrewed far enough.

I find "neutral" Low CRI LEDs absolutely disgusting, and though I own a Ti3 in Titanium, the threads are absolutely horribly gritty, unless you buy a special lubricant for Ti, which can work very well. But the Thrunites are not High CRI, so I would only buy one with the intent to have the LED changed. (you will need someone willing or able to modify)

For all those reasons, I recommend a Lumintop Tool w N219.. The Titanium version is quite nice, I personally really like the Copper version. There are also aluminium models, both w electronic switch (capable of tailstanding), or w mechanical switch, that does not allow tailstanding.

Yes I have experience w the Fenix E05, but I only use lights w High CRI, so would not recommend it. I also prefer lights with reversible pocket clips, which I find useful on a hat, for hands free use. The Lumintop Tool can do that too.

if you want me to tell you where to buy, dont ask in open forum, send me a PM, so we dont break any CPF rules.

The way I keep my lights from getting scratched, is to NOT put them on my keys. They go in a dedicated pocket, by themselves.

speaking of AAA options
    Thrunite, Fenix, and Olight do not offer any High CRI lights.
    Manker and Lumintop do offer N219 options, so thats where I would look.
    Another maker w High CRI offerings (Warm Nichia E21a) is Folomov, but their EDC C1 has no keyring connection, Im not a fan of their UI, and it is 10440 only, not AAA.

some of my AAA: (second from right is the CU Tool w N219 that I recommend)

some of the other lights mentioned:
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-05-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast