Recommended SC600* or SC64* to go with an H600Fc Mk IV for EDC/general use

luckylefty01

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy a headlamp and flashlight to be my main flashlights for the foreseeable future. My uses include nighttime walks around town, camping (walking to the restroom at night, camp chores at night, reading in the tent, etc.), finding things in dark places around the house, etc.

Currently I'm using a 4Sevens Preon Revo on my keychain (which I'll still use) and a Fenix LD20 (which will likely largely be replaced by the new lights).

After doing some research I've decided to make them both Zebralights because:
  • I want an 18650 light due to the long runtime in a small size.
  • I like being able to completely reprogram the UI to many different brightness levels (this is what drew me to ZLs over a lot of the other recommended lights I've seen). I also like having the same UI for both the headlamp and the flashlight.
  • They're well thought on in the forum (including for the purposes I have in mind).

I'm not concerned about the short term max level output that can only be sustained for a few minutes. It's more of a novelty for me than anything else.

For the headlamp I've decided on the H600Fc Mk IV. Especially for reading and camp chores and such it seems like a frosted model with less of a hotspot is the right choice.

I'm having a harder time figuring out which handheld light to get. It definitely seems like one with some throw would be a good choice to complement the more floody light of the headlamp, but there are several options that seem to fit this description and it's hard for me to differentiate between them without seeing them (though honestly I'll likely be happy with any of them):

• SC600w Mk IV (80°/10°)
  • SC600w Mk IV HI (80°/8°)
  • SC600w Mk IV Plus (80°/14°)
  • SC64w (80°/12°)
  • SC64w HI (80°/11°)
  • SC64c LE (80°/12°) (also 4000K and 90+ CRI as opposed to 4500K and 80+ CRI of the others)

It's not clear to me whether there are any significant differences between them besides the beam profiles (does HI just mean a narrower spot?).

I've seen this somewhat similar thread recommending the SC600w HI though it's a year and half old.
I've also seen this thread recommending the SC64w HI.

Any thoughts?

Keitho

Enlightened
The 64c LE would be the obvious choice to match the CRI and CCT of your headlamp. I have the 64 c and the 63 and 63w, along with several SC60x. I've come to prefer the smaller form factor of the 63 and 64, for everyday uses--just a little smaller in my pocket. While a side by side comparison would certainly show beam differences, I can honestly say that I've never been using a smaller 63 or 64, and said to myself, "I wish I had one of my SC 600's". For me these days, I go back and forth between preferring 4000k and 5000k, but always choose high CRI.

One other factor that might make the choice even harder...ZL seems to have been on a 1-year cycle of new product announcements, and the last big one was over a year ago. So you might have even more choices soon!

NPL

Enlightened
I have owned the H600fc, and also own the sc600w Hi, sc64c LE.

If you made your decision to go with the floody h600fc, I would def recommend you go with the sc600w Hi for complementary throw. Tint is great, and it's still very compact. The SC64 series is slimmer, but you are compromising quite a bit of throw and have much less heat sinking.

My sc600w hi is a mk 3, and have no urge to replace it or find it old in any way. The general trend these days is to run the max mode higher at the expense of overheating and quicker stepdowns. Xhp35 is the leader in LEDs for tint, throw and lumens, so don't think Zebralight has anything groundbreaking to announce. The only thing missing in their lineup is an sc700w Hi, which could also be a great option if they ever release it.

Sent from my Pixel using Candlepowerforums mobile app

NPL

Enlightened
The Sc600w Plus model will be very similar to the headlamp. The extra lumens do not make up for throw. 8 degree beam of the HI model has substantially more punch in distance.

luckylefty01

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both for the input, that was helpful. I decided to go with the sc600w HI for max throw. It will also give me the opportunity to compare 4000k vs 4500k and see which I prefer if I do ever make future purchases.

NPL

Enlightened
I think you will be very happy. Cct preference is a tough one. It will depend alot on what your eyes were last adjusted to. I generally like a range from 3000-5000k depending on how and when I am using it.