Hearing Protection

EdSeyer211

Newly Enlightened
I was kinda looking for whatever people use as hearing protection/earplugs here and only found 10 t0 15 year old threads. I own a motorcycle and I also love guns so it's understandable why I'm looking for a good pair of plugs. What can you guys recommend? I have some favorites but I want to have more options.

Thanks in advance.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hello & :welcome:

Great topic, hearing protection has been a top priority for me for the past 10 years or so - and I can't recall the last thread on this topic, so a timely post IMO.

After years of 'making do', I got serious about 8 years ago & finally went with a professionally molded silicone plug set done by an audiologist.
It ran $150, but IME nothing compares for range use inside of earmuffs (Peltor).

I've been very proactive with my hearing protection after modest hearing loss w/ a lifetime of hunting & sport shooting; I always use at least two out of three possible layers of protection (fitted plugs, muffs, & suppressors), and for centerfire shooting on the range I go with all three when I can.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
For motorcycle riding, I always put in a pair of Howard Leight earplugs. For shooting, double protection with earplugs and Howard Leight Leightning L3. They work with glasses.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always think I am over protecting with plugs and muffs over my ears when shooting, I soon realize that its not after the first shot. As the shooting time goes on, I sure am thankful I didn't do less.

Always "over protect" and keep in mind your hearing future. Once the damage is inflicted, your hearing never fully recovers.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't always protected my ears properly and it's now showing, constant ringing. I've tried plugs but I'm yet to find a standout pair. I actually have a few new plugs coming in to try although they'll be for aquatic purposes. Getting the right size is most important.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I like to use Mack's silicone ear plugs. They mold to fit your ear canal, and as you press them in, they really lock out sound. If you have narrow ear canals, the traditional round rubber plugs can be very uncomfortable. The Mack's plugs feel good, and you can re-use a set around 3 times. They come in a pack of 4 pair for around 3 dollars. I have small ear canals, so I cut them in half, and get 8 pair out of a pack.

Then I use muffs over top. Look at the muffs for the decibel reduction. Some only do low to mid 20s. The best ones will do 33 decibel reduction. I got Walker's from Cabelas.

Take it from someone who played in loud rock bands for 25 years, do everything you can to prevent hearing problems.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use electronic muffs for shooting, i like them a lot, they cancel out shots, but not much else, if they could only be adjusted to block other noises especially voices as well,

syga

Newly Enlightened
I have some hearing loss becasue I was stupid in my earlier years by not protecting my hearing.

I sometimes wear muffs, but if I'm in a tight spot at work, muffs can be too bulky. And if something touches the muffs, the muffs seem to amplify the noise and it gets really loud.

Right now, I'm wearing the disposable foam ear plugs. My work supplies them for free as they are safety equipment. I leave them in all day, are comfortable, and forget that I'm wearing them.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I use square end marshmallow disposable type you roll in your fingers, the reach behind your head, tug your ear and insert them properly. A box of 150 pairs is about $20 and I keep 2 fresh pairs in a "Mark Martin" ear plug 'purse' I bought from a Cub Scout troop at a Nascar race about 20 years ago.
If more is required I'll use old school ear covers. For hard hat use I have clip on type.

All are made by 3M.

My company issues crap. Crap gloves, crap eye covers and even crappier hearing protection. But working around saws as loud as jet air craft, pile drivers you can hear miles away and all kinds of loud noises including noise pollution from crowded highways, after 30+ years the only hearing loss I have is in my left ear from riding for hours with my driver side window cracked to vacuum out cigarette smoke.

Nowaday I use the passenger window cracked instead. Or keep an ear plug in my left ear. And I keep a hand towel over my left forearm when driving since it has received a lot more exposure than my right arm over the decades. My pop worked in a factory but always had a nice tan on his left forearm in the summer and was deaf in his left ear from driving to and from work.

At the shooting range, outdoors the noise is not as potent as indoors. But one should not skrimp on hearing protection for either.

I have heard that if you have to raise your voice beyond normal so normal hearing folks can hear you 3 feet away you should have hearing protection.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another one who has tinnitus through no fault of my own. Always wanted to try the custom molded ones but I have been using Surefire ep3 ear defenders which I highly recommend. They won't break the bank and they last a long time, comfortable, and dependable.

Safari land is doing some now but I bought a pair, tried em out and gave em a bigtime fail! Won't be buying any more of the Safariland plugs.

Stick with Surefire.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to use Mack's silicone ear plugs. They mold to fit your ear canal, and as you press them in, they really lock out sound. If you have narrow ear canals, the traditional round rubber plugs can be very uncomfortable. The Mack's plugs feel good, and you can re-use a set around 3 times. They come in a pack of 4 pair for around.......

I just ordered these to try for swimming. They get good reviews.

bignc

Enlightened
MSA Sordin. The gun guys I know and compete with get them from SRS Tactical, I believe - they have in house repair and you don't wait on international service IF you need work done.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For basic everyday use I have Hearos foam plugs. They're comfortable, effective and cheap.
I also have a pair of electronic muffs that are ryobi brand. 4volt lithium powered. They work reasonably well. I use them primarily when I'll have to be able to hear the other contractors on the site frequently.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Just basic corded, foam 3M plugs when I'm at the shooting range. It's an outdoor range so it's not deafening like indoor ones.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using sonic ear plugs forever, they have a valve so your ears don't feel plugged up and you can hear normal conversation - for shooting I use these plus ear muffs with a high decibel noise reduction rating, usually Peltor brand.