Jetbeam        

Thread: Philips 9012 XtremeVision G-Force

Default Philips 9012 XtremeVision G-Force

Anyone got any more information on these +130% HIR2 bulbs from Philips? It would be interesting to see a comparison between the Vosla 9012+120% or the Philips 9012+130%!

PDF warning:

https://www.download.p4c.philips.com..._pss_engsg.pdf

I can't find a picture on Google Images when searching the part number "9012XVGS2." Nor can I find any images on Philip's website. But there is a cut sheet for the bulbs, so they must exist, right?

I was about to write them off as blue-tinted junk because the cut sheet says something about a "patented gradient coating" and "significantly whiter light" but the color temperature is apparently only 3350 or 3450K (two different figures in the cut sheet) and that's not all that blue...unlike Philip's cosmetic accessory/Crystal/Diamond/White Vision line, which advertise 4200 K color temperatures or whatever.

Finally, I note that this is part of Philip's "G-Force" lineup, which are bulbs meant to survive potholes and other jolts that come with driving in the city. Does the shock resistance come at the expense of a bigger, sturdier filament (and the associated downsides)?

And while we're on the topic of Philips HIR2 bulbs, I note that their 9012LL EcoVision bulb is rated at 1350 nominal lumens, and it is ECE homologated. I thought ECE reg 37 calls for 1875 nominal lumens, give or take 15%? How can something with 1350 meet requirements?

PDF Warning:

https://www.download.p4c.philips.com..._pss_engza.pdf
    Last edited by Ls400; 11-08-2019 at 02:15 AM.

Default Re: Philips 9012 XtremeVision G-Force

Most of these questions can't be answered until the 9012XVGS2, or its EAN codes, are more than just vaporware. It appears this bulb doesn't actually exist, at least not yet. (I also notice this sell sheet doesn't seem to exist except in Malaysia).

Color temperature is a silly marketing distraction when we're talking about incandescent bulbs with various amounts and forms of blue gunk on the glass, but a Vosla HIR2 +120 with no blue gunk gives something like 3350 or 3400K at 13.2v, if I recall correctly (need to remind myself by checking test results) -- a standard H7 gives 3360K, a standard H4 high beam gives 3270, standard H4 low beam gives 3220, H4LL low beam gives 3060, standard (which is a long-life) H13 low beam gives 3100. So a claim of 3450K from an HIR2+130 wouldn't require much/any blue gunk. This together with the babble about "gradient coating" makes me think it's probably another variant of what we already see in today's bulbs: an uncolored band surrounding the filament, and blue gunk elsewhere on the capsule.

I'd like to learn more about the vibration-resistance of these bulbs. More technical detail, that is; there's already more than enough promotional babble about it. Probably doesn't affect filament size so much as filament supports and welding techniques, etc.

The 1350 lumen statement for the LL EcoVision HIR2 appears to be an error; it's probably from copying the H11 sell sheet. A 1350-lumen HIR2 would not qualify for homologation, and this bulb is both homologated and on actual sale. This looks like it might be a rebrand of what was actually Philips's first HIR2 they put on the market, their LL product. The "eco" here refers to the reduction in trash/waste that comes from not throwing away a burned-out bulb or two. True as far as it goes, but it's not as convincing as what Sylvania did with their Eco-Bright bulbs -- they used the same techniques employed to make + bulbs (+30, +50, +60, +80, +100, etc) but struck a different balance, winding up with a reduced-wattage bulb that gave about +20 performance compared to a standard bulb. The Eco-Bright bulbs are discontinued, so I guess fractionally lower headlamp fuel consumption didn't catch the fancy of people shopping for bulbs for their 11mpg SUVs.

Quote Originally Posted by -Virgil- View Post
    I'd like to learn more about the vibration-resistance of these bulbs. More technical detail, that is; there's already more than enough promotional babble about it.
    What I'd like to know is how many g's a normal bulb can withstand so I'll know if I should whistle, or just go "whoa", when I consider this one survives 10g's.

I read somewhere, I forget where, that headlamp designers expect up to 10 G's when designing the assembly. Forgot the source, so no idea how reliable it is. I think it might have been a NAL presentation floating on the web somewhere.

I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that 10g is within the amount of mechanical shock that could be expected in normal driving on rough roads (potholes, etc). So yeah, like Alaric said: how different is is this bulb's claimed 10g-resistance versus a regular bulb?

What does 108 call for in terms of vibrational resistance? I think it does call for testing that, right?

Also, I can't remember one time when I broke a bulb due to a pothole. Perhaps these bulbs are aimed more at the third-world, given that the document was on a Malaysian site?

Also, it would be nice to know if the 10 G's claim applies after X hours of use, when the filament is weakened from evaporation and uneven deposition.

Edit: I was on a phone earlier so looking up 108 wasn't very easy. I see that Appendix B calls for a setting up what appears to be a vibrating table that the lamp is attached to. Not sure how to convert this to G's.
    Last edited by Ls400; 11-08-2019 at 09:26 PM.